Temporary hit points and them stacking

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So my friend recently started playing a Warlock (of what race I do not know) and he is using the Infernal Pact. Right now we are just letting the temporary hit points he gets from Dark One's Blessing stack unlimitedly. He might finish a small encounter with 20-40 temp hit points which seems crazy to me.

So the question, how do Temp hit points stack? Is there a cap? Give me every little bit of info on what the rulebook says about temp hit points and how they add up.

NO HOUSE RULES
Put simply, they don't stack at all. If he already has temps, and gains new temps, he only ends up with the higher of the 2 values. If he has 10 temps, and gains 10 or less temps, he still only has 10 temps. If he has 10 temps, and gains 11 or more, he only has the new amount instead, overwriting the old value.
Well first of all, the rulebook says they don't stack.

Ever. Check out Healing in the PHB and look for the Temporary Hit Points rules.

The one exception is a fighter variant from Martial Power 1, their temporary hit points from one source stack.
NO HOUSE RULES

You've already gotten the correct answer, but since this is your first post it would be helpful for you to know you simply will not get answers that are houserules in this forum. Anyone who did that would be immediately corrected by dozens of people and be roundly critisized for answering anything other than RAW (which is Rules As Written).
NO HOUSE RULES

You've already gotten the correct answer, but since this is your first post it would be helpful for you to know you simply will not get answers that are houserules in this forum. Anyone who did that would be immediately corrected by dozens of people and be roundly critisized for answering anything other than RAW (which is Rules As Written).

Thanks for the info. I've been looking around elsewhere and only turned here as a last resort. Most places were just "Discuss how to handle it with the group". And thanks for the info about how the forum works around here :D
Put simply, they don't stack at all. If he already has temps, and gains new temps, he only ends up with the higher of the 2 values. If he has 10 temps, and gains 10 or less temps, he still only has 10 temps. If he has 10 temps, and gains 11 or more, he only has the new amount instead, overwriting the old value.

Well first of all, the rulebook says they don't stack.

Ever. Check out Healing in the PHB and look for the Temporary Hit Points rules.

The one exception is a fighter variant from Martial Power 1, their temporary hit points from one source stack.

Lots of very good information. Thanks for clarifying that for me. My friend likes to dance around the rules and make them say other things. So when it said something like "If you get some from another source keep the higher value of the two" he takes it as "if 2 things are killed at the same time I add the higher value to my total"

They may have on publication, but this was quickly errated.  They can gain various temps from various sources in varying amounts depending on what they do, but temps NEVER stack.  Ever.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

They may have on publication, but this was quickly errated.  They can gain various temps from various sources in varying amounts depending on what they do, but temps NEVER stack.  Ever.

Obligatory mention:  There are like three things, ever, that stack THP.  And they all SAY they specifically stack THP.  And none of them are at-will.

But you're right, the Battlerager doesn't stack 'em any more, he just gets a larger number than most.  There's a Paladin Burst power that gives you THP for each target hit, but, again, that's not stacking.  That's giving you a single larger number.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
My friend likes to dance around the rules and make them say other things. So when it said something like "If you get some from another source keep the higher value of the two" he takes it as "if 2 things are killed at the same time I add the higher value to my total"

Your friend is cheating.  Tell him to stop that.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.