Few things need answers to...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
hey guys... ive asked a few questions on here before and got great answers so i hope this will be the same... just wanted to ask a few things ill try to explain as full as i can...

question 1.

you know the ability.... when this creature deals damage to a player put a +1 +1 counter on it... ok well is there a keyword that says that ? like for example wither is -1 -1 counters..

question 2..

this one is tricky cause i dont know the names of the cards, i forgot, but will explain it the best i can...

heres the set up...

i had a creature with an equipment called  soemthign heartseeker on it... what it did was tap, unattach, destroy target creature...

ok so my opponenint cast a destroy target creature on the creature my heartseeker was attached to, and since abilities are like instances in responce to his destroy target creature, i taped and unattached the heartseeker, to destroy one of his creatures....

the argument was, he said cause it had something to do with a stack ? that i couldnt do what i did because the creature was dead, but my creature was not tapped, and i should have been able to, last in first out..

who was right ?

question 3
ok so, i think this has to do with the stack thing ,,...

if its my turn, and someone plays an instant on my turn, and i play an ability which happens first ?
hey guys... ive asked a few questions on here before and got great answers so i hope this will be the same... just wanted to ask a few things ill try to explain as full as i can...

question 1.

you know the ability.... when this creature deals damage to a player put a +1 +1 counter on it... ok well is there a keyword that says that ? like for example wither is -1 -1 counters..

According to rule 702, the following keyword abilities mention +1/+1 counters:  Amplify, modular, sunburst, bloodthirst, graft, reinforce, devour, exalted, undying, scavenge, unleash, evolve.  Only one of those mentions damage (to a player).
702.52. Bloodthirst

702.52a Bloodthirst is a static ability. "Bloodthirst N" means "If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it."

702.52b "Bloodthirst X" is a special form of bloodthirst. "Bloodthirst X" means "This permanent enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the total damage your opponents have been dealt this turn."

question 2..

this one is tricky cause i dont know the names of the cards, i forgot, but will explain it the best i can...

heres the set up...

i had a creature with an equipment called  soemthign heartseeker on it... what it did was tap, unattach, destroy target creature...

ok so my opponenint cast a destroy target creature on the creature my heartseeker was attached to, and since abilities are like instances in responce to his destroy target creature, i taped and unattached the heartseeker, to destroy one of his creatures....

the argument was, he said cause it had something to do with a stack ? that i couldnt do what i did because the creature was dead, but my creature was not tapped, and i should have been able to, last in first out..

who was right ?

Are you talking about a sequence like the following?

1. Opponent's main phase begins.

2. Opponent gets priority and casts Murder.  Opponent chooses your Runeclaw Bear (which has Heartseeker attached) as the target, and pays the cost using obtained in an unspecified manner.

3. Opponent gets priority and passes.

4. You get priority and activate the ", Unattach Heartseeker: Destroy target creature." ability of Runeclaw Bear.  You choose opponent's Gray Ogre as the target, and pay the cost by tapping Runeclaw Bear and unattaching Heartseeker.

5. You get priority and pass.

6. Opponent gets priority and passes.

7. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 4) resolves.  You destroy Gray Ogre.

8. Opponent gets priority and passes.

9. You get priority and pass.

10. The top object on the stack (the spell cast in step 2) resolves.  Runeclaw Bear is destroyed.

11. Opponent gets priority and ....

question 3
ok so, i think this has to do with the stack thing ,,...

if its my turn, and someone plays an instant on my turn, and i play an ability which happens first ?

The ability you activated goes on top of the stack.  When all players pass priority in succession, the top object on the stack resolves.
405.2. The stack keeps track of the order that spells and/or abilities were added to it. Each time an object is put on the stack, it's put on top of all objects already there.

608. Resolving Spells and Abilities

608.1. Each time all players pass in succession, the spell or ability on top of the stack resolves. (See rule 609, "Effects.")

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

question 1.

According to rule 702, the following keyword abilities mention +1/+1 counters:  Amplify, modular, sunburst, bloodthirst, graft, reinforce, devour, exalted, undying, scavenge, unleash, evolve.  Only one of those mentions damage (to a player).

I think he is talking about the "Slith" ability. Curse of Stalked Prey, Stromkirk Noble etc? If so OP there is no keyword or official term.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Are you talking about a sequence like the following?

1. Opponent's main phase begins.

2. Opponent gets priority and casts Murder.  Opponent chooses your Runeclaw Bear (which has Heartseeker attached) as the target, and pays the cost using obtained in an unspecified manner.

3. Opponent gets priority and passes.

4. You get priority and activate the ", Unattach Heartseeker: Destroy target creature." ability of Runeclaw Bear.  You choose opponent's Gray Ogre as the target, and pay the cost by tapping Runeclaw Bear and unattaching Heartseeker.

5. You get priority and pass.

6. Opponent gets priority and passes.

7. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 4) resolves.  You destroy Gray Ogre.

8. Opponent gets priority and passes.

9. You get priority and pass.

10. The top object on the stack (the spell cast in step 2) resolves.  Runeclaw Bear is destroyed.

11. Opponent gets priority and ....

oh ... my .... god .... magic has become a completely different animal that until i read that,.. thought i knew about...

that my friend, is way too smart for me... i have no idea what that even means...

but thanks for the answers...

oh ... my .... god .... magic has become a completely different animal that until i read that,.. thought i knew about...

that my friend, is way too smart for me... i have no idea what that even means...

Chck the link to the introductory rules in my sig and the returning player forum. ;)

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

that's what actually happens step by step in the interaction you mentioned

when you use a computer, you likely don't think much about the inner workings going on inside it, but they're there, Magic is no different.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Which part exactly is throwing you off? While you dont normally see it spelled out like that, the concepts behind what is happening there are actually pretty basic. You really should take this opportunity to understand all of that.

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
All he said in that wall o' text is "each player gets a chance to respond to every spell and ability. If nobody responds, the last cast/activated object resolves."

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.