B/G Lhurgoyfs

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi! this is a standard B/G Goyfs which I use in playing casual play. I need some insights and  recomendations on playing this deck because I want to take this deck on my local FNM.
Currently this is the list (5/29/13)

Creatures

4 - Deathrite Shaman
2 - Ulvenwald Tracker
4 - Lotleth Troll
4 - Ambush Viper
4 - Vampire Nighthawk
4 - Splinterfright
4 - Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
2 - Disciple of Bolas
4 - Ghoultree

Spells

4 - Grisly Salvage
4 - Mulch

Lands

6 - Forest
6 - Swamp
4 - Overgrown Tomb
4 - Woodland Cemetery

Sideboards

4 - Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 - Putrefy
4 - Dreg mangler
3 - Vraska the Unseen

well, my real goal in playing this deck is to throw as much creature in the graveyard in order to cast ghoultree with jarad in play and then sac it for the win.
Once its released you will want Varolz, the Scar-Striped. scavenge your goyfs.

I had a similar idea nearly identical. Found its pretty slow for the most part
Deck looks passable for your standard FNM

(at)MrEnglish22

Wonder if it would make sense to utilize blue's access to Chronic Flooding or Armored Skaab and Thought Scour. Skaab is great as a body to combat aggro. Flooding paired with Arbor Elf can be more efficient at milling yourself. Splinterfright and Troll seem very sorcery speed. Which isn't bad but instant speed can become combat tricks with guys that feed from cards in the grave.

just brainstorming ways of making this deck more effective at what it does.

I've been thinking of splashing blue cause it gives access to cards that gives a self-mill like Deranged Assistant, Screeching Skaab and Armored Skaab but I will remove my Deathrite Shaman, Lotleth Troll and Dreg Mangler in place of them... I would bump my lands to 23 or maybe to 24 in order to consistently cast blue creatures... Not sure if I would apply the changes... The list that comes into my mind would be changing the Lotleth Trolls to Screeching Skaab and the Dreg Manglers to Armored Skaab... Not very sure about the changes...

Anyway, the new DGM card Drown in Filth  might be of use, Ill bump my lands to 23 maybe to get at least a -2/-2 on turn two,
Updated the list

I almost forgot. Another huge part in splashing for blue, Tracker's Instincts and Forbidden Alchemy.

instincts is same cmc as Salvage but can't snag a land, and for one more mana Alchemy lets you grab anything, but its flashback is a bit more than Instincts. Both dig pretty deep into your deck, and both can be played from the grave, something pretty important with guys like splinterfright.

well that's all the input I have, besides adding Varolz, the Scar-Striped. Drown in Filth was a nice call btw. Works wonders with Shaman, who can reuse the discarded land.
I decided to keep this deck in golgari colors (B/G).. I will definitely add Varolz, the Scar-Striped maybe a 2-of for some late game punch and a set of Drown in Filth in the main for creature removal... I"ll also increase my lands to make at least the filth give a -2/-2 on turn two. Going to insert Blood Scrivener somewhere... Going to update this deck once DGM becomes legal in standard.

I've been thinking about Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts and the Blood Baron of Vizkopa can't think of a decent removal for them... Except if I have a Putrefy and an Ulvenwald Tracker backtoback with a very huge Boneyard Wurm..
Since you're self-milling and you only have 8 sorceries/instants, you might want to maindeck the Gravecrawlers and sideboard the Deathrite Shamans to be more agressive and get value to tossing him in the yard.   
I was already thinking about that... The crawlers give some brutal starts especially with the troll out... Can't decide though, the trackers give creature removal, the shaman give so much utilty (gain life/ lose life ) and the crawlers goes on the beating... Maybe 2 - trackers , 2 - shaman, 4 crawlers might do the trick.. Im gonna test it... :D
i did a major modification of the deck, removed the boneyard wurms in favor of the ambush viper, the reason I inserted the viper is I think it far more better to cast it let it die together with one of my opponents creatures rather than discarding a creature with my troll. Added vampire nighthawks to stay alive as posible against aggro match up, the manglers are in the sideboard against control.

What do you think of the modifications...? need feedbacks and recomendations :D