Planeshifter/Portal Lord optimization concept? (Help)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well I tried searching and looking all over the site for ideas of what I'm looking for and I've come up empty. So I signed up to start a thread and am hoping someone much more knowledgable than me can help. I'm looking to play a master of the planes wizard concept. He's gonna focus on conjuration, summoning/calling, types of spells with class abilities and feats focusing on mastery of the planes. I've found the Portal Lord PrC online that didn't make LEoF and like it alot. I like Planeshifter as well. I also found a Triclopean Planeshifter homebrew PrC online, but I doubt my DM will let that one fly even IF I can get him to get rid of the racial requirement. So anyone out there have any ideas? I basically want a powerful Wizard one day that is a master of the planes, has his own plane, and enchants extra dimensional magic's everywhere. He's going to be a Deep Imaskari that has left the underdark, or Human that researches the Imaskari.
Make sure you're not in the society described on that page, those people are insane-- no one with any sense at all avoids worshiping all gods in the Forgotten Realms.  It's a good way to end up as spackle after you're dead.

Yeah he won't. The character is a member of the Deep Imaskar that went into the underdark and sealed themselves off from the world. They only recently broke the seal and started coming out, and eventually develope High Imaskari on mulhorandi ruins. Still, I don't have access to alot of supplements and Dragon Magazine stuff so I don't know how to really optimize a build. Looking for any suggestions...
Which supplements do you have?
Umm, everything Forgotten realms and WoTC. No eberron allowed or otger campaign sources. And i dont have dragon magazine stuff.
Why not use Maconvoker?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Do you mean this one:
forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=...

Looks decently middle of the road for a Wizard PrC
... excepting that Warp that gets near I Win 1/day.

Manual Of The Planes has a couple of PrCs similar, but weaker.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Malconvoker is more of a summoner. I'm looking for more of a planes master. I know the Portal Lord and Planeshifter will never be optimized like PunPun. But for the concept I want to play I'de like to have the best feats, classes, race, etc. so he can be the best in that field. Right now I'm thinking 5 Wizard/10 Portal Lord/5 Planeshifter. And if we go Epic, 5 more in Planeshifter so he can get his own demiplane. I can get the feat prereq's for Portal Lord if I take a flaw from UA. But beyond 6th lvl I'm not sure of the best feats. I was thinking Portal Sensitive and Penetrate portal. Maybe Transdimensional Spell. Any other thoughts? Anything spring to mind in the books that would fit with the concept?
I'm not certain that I would use Portal Lord.  Of the abilities that it picks up, only Dimensional Touch is particularly useful, and it can be gained through archmage instead.  Warp Shield is nice... but it's once per day and only marginally better than blur/displacement and other spells granting mischance until high levels. 

Prolonged artifice and spacial fluency are a bit too limited--extradimensional spaces last more than long enough as is typically and I can't think of many metamagic feats I would apply to teleportation effects.  Command portals is somewhat unique, but I think there are a few spells that can duplicate the effects.  Basically, if you want those specific abilities, you'd probably be better off picking up the classes that apply them to all spells.

Combined with Planeshifter, you are also losing 3 caster levels-- which delays your getting to the Genesis spell, which negates the need for that 10th level of Planeshifter in the first place.

If you want to modify your teleporting ability, the first level of Wayfarer Guide might be worth looking at for the extension effect and increased capacity.  Other than that, there aren't a tremendous amount of prestige classes that are focused upon planar travel and portals.   If you don't mind putting off Genesis and want a class specifically focused upon portals, you can probably take Portal Lord, but you might be better off simply focusing your spell and feat choices.

Another option might be seeing if your DM will allow the 3.0 version of Incantatrix-- they had less metamagic awesomeness and more planar focused abilities (like seeing into the Ethereal and sending away outsiders).  The flavor is pretty much the opposite of what you're looking for, since they were all about shutting down access from other planes, but that can always be tweaked (or you could be one that went rogue).  Planeshifter probably wouldn't be overpowered with full casting either (or at worst 9/10).

For feats, I could see Transdimensional Spell-- I wouldn't pick up portal sensitive and penetrate portal.  They are unlikely to be terribly useful.  Planar Touchstone might be another useful one-- there are a number of decent abilities that can be gained through that feat.
Further afield, is a Disciple Erudite 7 / Planar Vanguard 10.
www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20...
... your psicrystal turns into your own demiplane.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.