Prerelease help for DGM

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys I would of asked this in the general forums but considering this pertains to the new set I thought it would be better suited here. Anyways moving onto the topic at hand I signed up for two prerelease events for this weekend one day as golgari the other orzhov. I am really excited to go to a prerelease yet haven't been to one in like 4 years and I'm extremely rusty in general so I'm looking for tips on things like:

-With so little removal in the limited environment how should I play considering im playing golgari and orzhov.
- How should I play against the faster colors?
- What cards do you guys think will be a game changer in limited that I should look out?
- When is it best to use scavenge and when is it a smart move to trade one of your extort creatures when facing a attack?
- How should play when I'm either against or playing with unleash creatures?

I just need help in general a link to a sealed guide would help no doubt, but the limited environment at a glance seems very different then what I've experienced before, so if you guys can give me links and possibly experiences of how slow sealed games work out.
Read this.

The Limited Forums would also be a good place to see how people interact with deckbuilding among the different guilds.

Your most basic limited deck will run forty cards, have 16-17 creatures, and 6-7 removal spells. It will have a decent curve of a couple of one-drops, a higher amount of two- and three-drops, and then slope out into a lesser amount of four- and five- and maybe one six-drop. Sealed decks can be slower bc you're usually splashing for creatures, so a 7-drop is acceptable. Don't splash for something with a double off color in its CMC.

Basic strategies by guild:

RtR

1. Azorius - creatures with flying and tempo
2. Selesnya -  building up your board and combat tricks
3. Rakdos - attack, attack, attack. Low curve with a fiendish top-end.
4. Golgari - trade early, recycle later, run Wrecking Ogre.
5. Izzet - burn and card advantage while hiding behind big butts before controlling the board and laying down a bomb.

GC

1. Orzhov - lots of weenies and extort - OR - big butts and extort. Always lots of spot removal.
2. Boros - low curve, much like Rakdos. Use mugging to control unfavorable blocks.
3. Gruul - get as much trample as you can, be willing to start slow to build up your board, don't bloodrush all your creatures unless it's for trading up or winning the game
4. Dimir - low curve and flyers as well as incidental mill.
5. Simic - cloudfin raptor and decks with 20 creatures.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

This thread is very informative:

forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t...

I was asking alot of the same questions as yourself and found the insights there very helpful.
If you go to puremtgo.com, there's an article series called Ars Acanum.  Sometime this week there should be a very good prerelease primer.
Well how about removal considering we are only getting two packs from the other sets which include a fair amount of removal compared to the almost nonexistent ones here, what will most people end with for removal and how does that usually affect the game when I play a slow color against a fast one? 
In Golgari, you'll have access to Mutant's Prey, Fatal Fumes, and Drown in Filth at the common level... you'll probably be doing better for removal than most anyone else.

Then again, sometimes just picking the best guild for something doesn't mean you get that thing.  At the GTC prerelease I chose Boros in large part for removal.  Didn't get one single Boros removal spell.  No Smite, no Mugging, not even a Pit Fight or Angelic Edict.
At either prerelease my main deck wasn't the guild I choose, so looking at the commons DGM feels like a total crap-shoot.
In Golgari, you'll have access to Mutant's Prey, Fatal Fumes, and Drown in Filth at the common level... you'll probably be doing better for removal than most anyone else.

Then again, sometimes just picking the best guild for something doesn't mean you get that thing.  At the GTC prerelease I chose Boros in large part for removal.  Didn't get one single Boros removal spell.  No Smite, no Mugging, not even a Pit Fight or Angelic Edict.

drown in filth is kinda for constructed decks it would be hard to assume you would have lands in the graveyard considering no forms of fetch lands, and revealing two lands from the top would be rare.
Even if you only reveal 1 land (which should be the mode), it removes a 1-toughness creature without even allowing for regeneration or invincibility to save it.  Better still if you have Grisly Salvage, Rot Farm Skeleton, and other such grave-seeders.

drown in filth is kinda for constructed decks it would be hard to assume you would have lands in the graveyard considering no forms of fetch lands, and revealing two lands from the top would be rare.

Actually, not necessarily so.  Considering 17 lands in a 40 card deck, there's going to be (considering equal distritubtion) roughly 42.5% of your deck as lands at any given time.  So really, there's actually a good chance you'll draw into 2 lands.  I don't feel like getting the actually probability of such occurring, but I can imagine it would be pretty normal for such to occur.
Sign In to post comments