This Week in MTGO & "Wide Beta Spotlight" Feature

171 posts / 0 new
Last post
EDIT: Moving thread to Magic General.
Hi all,

I'm moving this thread to Magic Online General for discussion purposes, and will update this post with more details when the article goes live. Cheers!

EDIT: Article is up. Keep an eye out for Ryan Spain's article tomorrow discussing the latest Wide Beta changes.

EDIT: Related to this article, the changelist for tomorrow's Wide Beta update is in the spoilers below and has also been added to the official thread.

Show

Changelist for 4/24/13:

General

• Fixed:  Several crashes relating to log ins and collection loading

• Started:  Work to integrate Wide Beta Free Trial

• Added:  Splash screen when launching the Wide Beta

• Added:  Loading indicator on log in screen

• Updated:  Card font size logic and several issues that caused the wrong card font to display

• Updated:  Adjusted the foil card treatment

• Fixed:  Issue with using left and right mouse buttons to zoom

• Fixed:  Link display in Account tab

• Fixed:  Broken tool tip for Shipping Address in Account tab

• Updated:  Reduced the height of pane headers

• Updated:  Grid splitters are now easier to grab

Duel Scene, Play Lobby, Tournaments

• Updated:  Duel scene redesign to move prompt box, move temporary zones, and allow hand to be minimized

• Updated:  Reduced height of phase bar

• Updated:  Double clicking a grid splitter opens or closes the zone

• Added:  Icons for the temporary zones and option buttons

• Updated:  Exiled zone now expands when a card in the zone has an action that can be sent to the stack.

• Added:  Draft recording setting

• Updated:  Disconnection alert appears more consistently

• Fixed:  Filter display issue after login

• Fixed:  Scroll buttons in hand now work correctly

• Fixed: Game details shows correct player list

• Fixed:  Display issue with blockers who can block more than one creature

• Fixed:  Issue where the sealed pool sometimes appeared with a Top 8 draft pool

• Added:  Links to prize structure from Game Details window

• Fixed:  Several Play Lobby refresh issues

• Updated:  Added die roll information to Game Log

• Updated:  Each player gets his or her own window for triggered abilities

• Fixed:  Freeze when dragging cards during draft

• Fixed:  Game details now correctly indicate when a player has been eliminated from a single elimination event

• Fixed:  Issue where ability text persists on a card after the effect has ended

• Fixed:  Issue with lasso drag/drop functionality in limited deck building

• Updated:  Adjusted some windows that appear for specific card abilities to make them clearer

• Updated:  Removed incorrect alert while player is waiting for opponent to mulligan

• Fixed:  Issue where leveler creature text was not appearing on the stack

• Fixed:  Spacing issue in Play Lobby Permitted Opponents filter

• Updated:  Mouse scroll behavior when filter is open

• Fixed:  Columns in Play Lobby results can now be adjusted more consistently

• Updated:  Game Type sizing is more consistent when adjusting the size of he window

• Updated:  Search now works on all Play Lobby columns

• Updated:  Tool tip delay for cards on the battlefield

• Updated:  Planar die button styling

• Fixed:  Issue when dragging cards from sideboard to deck causes the card to render incorrectly

• Fixed:  Issue where the wrong Exiled zone is expanded when a card is exiled

• Updated:  Games/events you have joined stay in the top of the results

• Added:  Filters for ‘Time per Player’ and ‘Wins per Match’ to Play Lobby filters

• Fixed:  Issue where basic land type selection prompt can stop working

• Updated:  Targeting highlights and dimming for spells/abilities that have multiple targets

• Updated:  Fixed alignment of buttons and controls in pane headers

• Updated:  Left edge of cards don’t shift when tapping

• Added:  If a player runs out of time during limited deck building and has not yet submitted a deck, if the deck is a legal limited deck it will be automatically submitted

• Updated:  Wording on triggered abilities windows to be clearer

• Updated: Reduced height of the blockers row

• Updated:  Increased Play Lobby button contrast

• Updated:  Drag indicator for cards in hand

• Updated:  Removed unnecessary margins in several locations

• Updated:  Highlighting a line of text persists when clicking on other elements in the game client

• Updated:  Fixed an issue in collection where selecting filters could cause no cards to display

• Updated:  Adjusted damage assignment location on cards at minimum resolution

• Updated:  Draft table view can now be collapsed

• Updated:  Piles are now limited to 10 objects

• Updated:  Quantity indicator on piles only appears when there are five or more permanents in the pile

• Updated:  Play lobby now has ‘hidden’ defaults to streamline game joining

• Updated:  Adjusted size between cards during deck building

• Updated:  Tweaked the priority notification styling in the prompt box

• Updated:  Updated text for opponent’s deck submission

• Updated:  Library and triggered abilities windows now display contents alphabetically

• Updated:  Adjusted minimum and maximum card size for cards in temporary windows

• Updated:  Default location for library and triggered windows

• Updated:  Adjusted the mulligan text to be clearer with new “Mulligan” and “Keep” buttons

• Updated:  Adjusted how window names display in the task bar so they are more usable

Collection, Trade, Store, and Chat

• Added:  Missed chats now appear in the Chat drop down until they are viewed

• Updated:  New messages cause Chat drop down to flash until viewed

• Added: Quantity slider to Trade window

• Updated:  Main navigation window and chat window can now be minimized separately

• Fixed:  Collection search now finds key word abilities correctly

• Fixed:  Several trade freezes

• Updated:  Chat docking logic on main navigation

• Updated:   Trade window shows correct maximum trade number

• Fixed:  Enter key now registers deck name change

• Fixed:  Issue in collection not displaying correct number

• Fixed:  An issue where watchers could not see game chat or log

• Fixed:  An issue in replays that caused incorrect chat headers

• Fixed:  An issue with an unstyled  scrollbar in the Store

• Fixed:  An issue with international addresses and zip codes

• Updated:  Trade flow and submit behavior

• Updated:  Adjusted where invalid decks go in Collection

• Updated:  Added Gatecrash and Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt expansion symbols

• Fixed:  Confirming a trade does not return players to the Trade binder view

• Fixed:  An issue where textless cards could not be added to a deck/binder by double clicking

• Fixed:  An issue with code redemption entry that could freeze the client

• Updated:  Trade scene now supports ‘smart’ searching

• Updated:  When searching in the Trade scene, search terms are highlighted

• Fixed:  Issue where adjusting the size of the filters could cause filters to disappear or be obscured

• Updated:  Product display in the store

• Updated:  Chat with Support button capitalization

• Fixed: Issue that caused text from cards in list view to be jumbled

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Dear WOTC, please get some lawyers who can work out how you can offer promotions and competitions to the billions of people who don't live in the US.

Sincerely,

The rest of the world.
"Offer is valid for redemption by account holders whose billing address is located in the United States only."

This is the same kind of bull$%^& that was at the bottom of the first promotion you did for the beta client.
I hadn't played the MTGO for a year but decided to download it to get the first free card only to get an error because I live in Australia (which has no laws against receiving digital goods). I was pissed off and have been boycotting MTGO since. Yep, looks like your arrogance in telling the whole world about these great promos, but withholding them from the rest of us continues... You're effectively advertising to everyone that the US customers are going to get preferrential treatment because presumably you don't care about the rest of the world. That's fine, just don't expect to see me online in MTGO any time soon.
So... mid july is when I no longer get to build any new decks and the wait for the return of binder view begins. Was really hoping it would be november at the earlist.
I strongly dislike how WotC is forcing people to play on the beta if they want to play at all for a couple days. Means I'm not likely going to be able to play then.

On a similar note, this may mean I should sell of my MtGO collection sooner rather than later. The beta slows down my computer enough that I'm not physically able to complete a game of magic. Hopefully it is streamlined and doesn't mess with my system by that time, but I'm not holding my breath.
Basically, this means I may need to quit playing online within a month or two. 
note that it's pretty easy to state that your billing address is in the US within MTGO's account settings to get these promos.

<--- Lives in Australia and got the last promo card just fine.
Ohhh boy. I was hoping it would be at least another year until Wizards opened this specific can of worms. I'll be frank.

The beta client is nowhere near prime time. Unless some serious upgrades are made in the next three months.

Here are my main criticisms.

• It loads too damn slowly. When I switch a room, it takes ten seconds for all the games to unload and load again. When I'm tired of Commander and want to practice for a daily event, it takes a second on the old client, and many times longer on this one.

• It doesn't make efficient use of space. This wouldn't be a problem on my desktop, but that's currently out of comission. My laptop has a much smaller screen space and half the screen at any given time is taken up by stuff I don't care about while playing a game.

• It doesn't make efficient use of computer resources. It chugs. I got this laptop this year, and it's a fairly middle of the road one. I shouldn't have to be using my gaming computer to play MTGO.

note that it's pretty easy to state that your billing address is in the US within MTGO's account settings to get these promos.

Even if that is the case, the restriction feels pretty arbitrary anyway. I'm sure there must be equivalent things in other online games which don't have this sort of problem, why does Wizards (or Hasbro) find it necessary to even attempt to apply a regional restriction?
Dear WotC, how can you give promos just for logging in like Incinerate or even bad as Sorrow's Path and limit giving promos for entering stupid promo codes in the MTGO Beta store?

One more question I'd like to be answered: why there's no promo card for Dragon's Maze Release Events Championships? In RTR and GTC (and in many other sets) we had this kind of promotion.
Dead WotC,

I have tested and played with the beta extensively for the past 6 months. I have sent you a slew of feedback reports, hopefully giving a hand in highlighting some of the bugs. Every event I attended in these 6 months, I played on the beta. Also, because I spend a bunch of money at the online store, I always get the foil promo card for purchases. Because I participate in so many events, I also get the foil promo for participation. 

AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME I CAN'T GET THIS PROMO BECAUSE I DON'T LIVE IN THE STATES?

I sincerely hope you are kidding.

Alfy 
Every article I read about the MtgO just makes me feel bad. Sad really.

2 major concerns.

Stop treating non US residents as dirt. If I can legally obtain prizes in the form of boosters than there is no law againts me getting a promo as well. Expencting us to break the ToS (and maybe our own countries law) just to get a promo card is absurd!

Do not force changes on your players! Motivate players with prizes, special events etc. I am positive that kind of motivation is more effective and maybe even more important - people won't resent Wotc.

Side note. If only 30% people use the beta than you must reconsider the plans of development of the beta. If players actually shared your thought that the beta is better than the live client these numbers would be switched. Stop lying to yourselves! Take a step back and reconsider what you trying to do here. The beta is not a finished product. It's nowhere close. With the updates coming at the pace you set yourself (one per month) we are looking for 2 more updates before it goes live (3 if you count tomorrows update and I assure you - you will get many agry costumers tomorrow - be warned).

You may take my words as you choose but I can say that I am a person that cares much about magic and Mtgo. Nothing would please me more if the beta was a sucess. I am a beta taster for over 18 months now so I can say that I followed the progress of the beta very close. I also read the comments on both boards (the beta and the live client) so I am not clueless what others think.

Bottom line rethink your strategy of releasing the beta because in my opinion you will get a heavy finicial hit and decline in playerbase come July.

Edit: I do not think the beta is a trainwreck but it needs alot more work to be at a point where both Wotc and the playerbase should find it as acceptable. There are good stuff on the beta (you may not hear this often but yes there are good changes on the beta).

Edit 2: If you do not beileve the comments made in this topic (because the sample is too small or whatever) then consider putting a pole in tommorows article asking players do they think the launch of the beta this July will be a success or not or something along the lines when do you think we should stop supporting the live client. 
Houston, we have a problem.
An iceberg is hitting us, July 15th.

Are you kidding? The beta has been released 9 months ago and only 30% of your user-base switched....? You already have the answer. Do you REALLY know how MUCH MONEY will you lose?
If players actually shared your thought that the beta is better than the live client these numbers would be switched.

I don't want to, play devil's advocate here, but I believe that, among those actually playing the beta, the number of players thinking the beta is better than the current client over weighs the number of those who prefer the current client (that came from mtgdaily report on beta progress). Because not everyone plays with then beta, that remains of course a minority of MTGO players, but it's hard to fault Wizards for thinking the current client is an improvement over the old client. 

Also, there has been a slew of special prizes for beta players: free drafts, free cube tickets, promos and more. So yes, Wizard has tried to get players on board through motivation. However, it was clear to everyone that, at some point, they would switch clients for good. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Side note. If only 30% people use the beta than you must reconsider the plans of development of the beta. If players actually shared your thought that the beta is better than the live client these numbers would be switched. Stop lying to yourselves! 

just wanted to point out that the article says that only 30% of users have TRIED the Beta, of those 70% keep using it. So only 21% of users are using the Beta, right?

personally I'm a little scared...

I have quit trying the Beta until they fix trade and fix  the collection screen (by bringing back Binder view) but I just logged in to get the promo code and man... it was slow... and WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY FOILS?!?!@#?

Well I'll be giving the update a try next week (would love it if I could be drafting Lorwyn while I do so) and I intend to give my most thorough feedback to date... but I'm not excited.

Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
I must admit I missread that. I thought 30% use it at this moment not tried it once. That is very scarry indeed.
The beta is not a finished product. It's nowhere close. With the updates coming at the pace you set yourself (one per month) we are looking for 2 more updates before it goes live (3 if you count tomorrows update and I assure you - you will get many agry costumers tomorrow - be warned).

There's more. They already said they will release unfinished product and work on changes on the fly. Now they are focused on the Duel Scene, stability and performance. Then will work on e.g trade

Why tomorrow. It's May 8 when they switch off V3 for 2 days. Then there will be many many angry customers.
"Right now, one of our biggest hurdles is getting players to try the new client. We know that, of the players who try the Wide Beta each week, nearly 70% of them use it as their primary client. Unfortunately, only 30% of Magic Online players have given the new version a try. For a transition to the new client to be successful in July, we need more players to try the Wide Beta and give us their feedback, which leads us to..."

Perhaps I'm just old and fear change. Or perhaps the beta is just crap. 

Maybe if the wide beta were closer to actually being ready these numbers would be better? I had such high hopes for the beta at first, but have become more and more disappointed each time I log in lately.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Worst case senario is that mid July turns into another fiasco like the V3 release. Mtgo survived that, although it was a close thing for a while.

Honestly I think the two clients are about equal. Equally bad mind you, but still about equall. Its just that we are all used to V3 faults and don't see them any more.
And personally I think that is a damning opinion. They have been working on this for at least 2 years, with 10 years of customer useage data and the best they can do is a slightly different looking outdated UI. There aren't even any good new features this time. The best they have is bringing back draft view and promo codes. Both of which where in V2.5.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

IMHO, sealed play is much better on Beta than on live. Draft screen is so much more useful, and I love seeing who is passing to me. Duel screen has this ridicoulously small biggest card-on-the-playfield size due to the insistence on two rows for lands/other things, but the rest is actually fine now. Collection/deck buiding I will complain loudly about, but can probably live with; haven't tried trade in a long time. Trade and chat are quite bad in both versions, anyway. And bots better work in v4, or Wizos will have a riot on their hands. So overall, a small gain probably, but at the cost of a lot of learning new tricks for the customers who will be new to v4. Change is hard, particularly when there is no immediate gain to be had.

As for the release date, it sounds like a management decision, and now the developers have to scramble and figure out what they can do in the timeframe they were given. Not a good way to proceed. But the next possible date is probably M15 release, hence the decision.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

IMHO, sealed play is much better on Beta than on live. Draft screen is so much more useful, and I love seeing who is passing to me. Duel screen has this ridicoulously small biggest card-on-the-playfield size due to the insistence on two rows for lands/other things, but the rest is actually fine now. Collection/deck buiding I will complain loudly about, but can probably live with; haven't tried trade in a long time. Trade and chat are quite bad in both versions, anyway. And bots better work in v4, or Wizos will have a riot on their hands. So overall, a small gain probably, but at the cost of a lot of learning new tricks for the customers who will be new to v4. Change is hard, particularly when there is no immediate gain to be had.

As for the release date, it sounds like a management decision, and now the developers have to scramble and figure out what they can do in the timeframe they were given. Not a good way to proceed. But the next possible date is probably M15 release, hence the decision.

Trade works fine for me on V4, and so do bots.

Trade works fine for me on V4, and so do bots.

He is talking about whether or not bots will be able to make the switch to the new client. They SOMEWHAT will, but there has been a LOT of hacking of the client going on so far. Lot of people running bots that instantly read your collection, or can read a 400 item list of 1 ofs in two seconds etc. Things that are literally impossible because page down wont even scroll through items that fast.

is there an iPad version in the not-too-distant future?

He is talking about whether or not bots will be able to make the switch to the new client. They SOMEWHAT will, but there has been a LOT of hacking of the client going on so far. Lot of people running bots that instantly read your collection, or can read a 400 item list of 1 ofs in two seconds etc. Things that are literally impossible because page down wont even scroll through items that fast.

Yes, I was talking about the first part of your first statement. Just for the record, I'm very much against any hacking of the client, and I only referred to those bots which imitate user login. Anything else should be strictly prohibited and enforced. I want my collection secure, thank you.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I'm in that other 9%.

I gave it a try. As someone who plays multiplayer (2hg) exclusively, it was like having a very vital part of me amputated, without anasthesia. I'm not exaggerating. Multiplayer was quite literally UNPLAYABLE.

I then (sensibly) decided I would take the least bad of two options and stick to the old client. Granted, that was a while ago, but ppl still routinely tell me "if you play multiplayer don't bother with the new client". And I personally know some ppl who use the new client and like it, but will switch back for multiplayer.

(To be honest, if I were a drafter or a 1v1 player I would probably stick to the new one too).

Considering the speed of developments so far, I don't expect multiplayer to be any better come July 15.

Call me a pessimist, but I prefer to say "realist". It just can't happen in that timeframe.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
While I see why WoTC wants to do this there is going to be a major issue with most bots not working and people not being able to sell off their cards or buy new cards. 

Here is my proposal to WoTC and I hope they will consider it.  Please keep the trading server up on the current client so that the heavy traders can still continue trading as to not crash the economy for two days.  I know that eventually we will have to switch over to the beta but the beta is nowhere close to being ready trading wise.  People have to constantly switch back to the non-beta to complete trades.  Playing is overall better on the beta but collection, chat, trading, deck editor are all much much worse on the beta and are in need of some major changes and testing before we force everyone to use the beta for 2 days straight. 

I do not know what will be in the changes tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath and if things are still as bad as they are I will be shutting down my site and all my bots for 2 days and I'm betting a lot of others will also. 

If most of the bot owners shut down then it should be a very interesting economy for two days. 
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
I agree with heath, my business will likewise be down. Basically there will be a handful of bots. Margins will likely skyrocket, and prices will plummit due to a lack of buyers.
I am curious about whether Wizards will honor refund requests for Shiny issues that cost matches or events.  If the deck editor is as bad as it has been, and I time out on deck construction, will I get a refund?  Or will Wizards increase the time allowed for deck construction for the prereleases?

Don't forget, this will be a gold heavy, ten guild sealed pool, with lots of cards we are not familiar with.  I remember laying out sealed pools in full Ravnica block, and the strange configurations we went through to get all 10 guilds close to each other in paper PTQs.  The new client does not allow that type of rearrangement, and the editor lags (at least for me) when scrolling up and down long columns.  I have serious doubts that I can build a sealed RtR/GTC/DMZ deck using the new editor in the time normally allowed - and I am a fast deckbuilder in general.  On the old client, with familiar & less complex pools (e.g. RtR, and moreso M13) I generally submit with 10 minutes left on the clock.

I will try a phantom 6 pack sealed Wednesday night, using Shiny, and see how long it takes.  With any luck, I'll post the video in my article Friday.  If it works, great. (will also be a first for me - Shiny and my computers don't seem to get along.)  If not, then I suspect I will be avoiding the prerelease queues until the current client comes back - or filing for a refund.  The question is, if Shiny costs me matches, will I get one?

PRJ - "one million words" on MTGO

I write the State of the Program series on PureMTGO.com, appearing every Friday.

My current plan is to shut down my bots and website for those 2 days.  If no bots work yet on the Beta version, and the retail websites shut down, the only trading that would occur would be between a couple of players, right?  Which means there would be almost no trading.

If most of the bot owners shut down then it should be a very interesting economy for two days. 

I think this would be a very interesting experiment on its own, regardless of Beta stuff.
Give all the complainers a taste of what a world without Bots would truly look like (I suspect it wouldn't be pretty!).

My feeling (I don't have bot data) is that there is more selling to Bots than buying from Bots, so I would expect that in a Botless world, high value cards would be available cheaper (ie it would be a good time to pick up rather than sell off cards).  Heath, or anyone with a Bot, feel free to correct me!

However *if* even human trading on the Beta is pretty bad, it might just be that very little trading happens at all for two days.

Edit: Seems others posted in between, making similar suggestions. 
By the way did anyone else have this massive flashback to the v3 transition when they read this:

In addition, while we would like to be able to iterate on the client until it is perfect, that just isn't reasonable, and we have to draw the line in the sand somewhere. Splitting development resources for two separate clients isn't sustainable, and the efficiency gain from having the entire team focus on one version is immense. Once we have a single team again, our ability to iterate on design and deliver stable features just gets better

Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.

I think this would be a very interesting experiment on its own, regardless of Beta stuff.
Give all the complainers a taste of what a world without Bots would truly look like (I suspect it wouldn't be pretty!).

My feeling (I don't have bot data) is that there is more selling to Bots than buying from Bots, so I would expect that in a Botless world, high value cards would be available cheaper (ie it would be a good time to pick up rather than sell off cards).  Heath, or anyone with a Bot, feel free to correct me!

However *if* even human trading on the Beta is pretty bad, it might just be that very little trading happens at all for two days.

Edit: Seems others posted in between, making similar suggestions. 

Having beeen through the 3.0 transition I can tell you exactly what will happen.  Ticket values will drop, card margins will increase and there will be a TON of haggling going on without bots and a set price list to go off of as prices will not be changing on any of the major sites that people use during this time.

PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
I'm in that other 9%.

I gave it a try. As someone who plays multiplayer (2hg) exclusively, it was like having a very vital part of me amputated, without anasthesia. I'm not exaggerating. Multiplayer was quite literally UNPLAYABLE.

I then (sensibly) decided I would take the least bad of two options and stick to the old client. Granted, that was a while ago, but ppl still routinely tell me "if you play multiplayer don't bother with the new client". And I personally know some ppl who use the new client and like it, but will switch back for multiplayer.

(To be honest, if I were a drafter or a 1v1 player I would probably stick to the new one too).

Considering the speed of developments so far, I don't expect multiplayer to be any better come July 15.

Call me a pessimist, but I prefer to say "realist". It just can't happen in that timeframe.

I agree, I really hope we can stay on v3 until both multiplayer and chat have significant improvements.
Here is my proposal to WoTC and I hope they will consider it.  Please keep the trading server up on the current client so that the heavy traders can still continue trading as to not crash the economy for two days.  I know that eventually we will have to switch over to the beta but the beta is nowhere close to being ready trading wise.  People have to constantly switch back to the non-beta to complete trades.  Playing is overall better on the beta but collection, chat, trading, deck editor are all much much worse on the beta and are in need of some major changes and testing before we force everyone to use the beta for 2 days straight. 

WOTC, please consider doing this. Just keep up the trade on v3.
The one thing that would convince me to try the beta client... any client, for that matter... would be finally making good on the promise to bring back leagues.
I also think something like a free phantom draft or other free event would of been a much better idea as it could of really shown off what the beta is good at and given us a choice.
PureMTGO.com
Well, I love Magic, but I recently started playing WoW again after a good two year break, and now seems like a good time. Wizards, you could have taken the current client and made just a few adjustments and it would have been flawless. Instead you tried to reinvent the wheel, and unfortunately, it's square. I've tried the beta client extensively. I've tried making decks in it. I've tried tradining in it. I've searched for cards in it. I've looked at collections in it. I've played games, made games, looked for games. It's all horrible. I've posted lots of feedback as well with numerous details. But it seems like this is one of those things where pinheaded people want to tell me what I like.

IMDb tried this when they revamped their website. It worked for about a week before they caved in and let people opt to view movie pages in the old format. Thank god. Their new webpage layout was atrocious. You couldn't find anything. It was a horrible redesign and they were right for allowing people to switch back. Take the hint.
Wizards, you could have taken the current client and made just a few adjustments and it would have been flawless. Instead you tried to reinvent the wheel, and unfortunately, it's square.

+1

I also think something like a free phantom draft or other free event would of been a much better idea as it could of really shown off what the beta is good at and given us a choice.

I don't know, it feels like if there is a beta client user in my drafts that the draft and the games go much slower.  They added some flashing interesting things to the draft, but it seems like its a lot slower.

I can understand making a program that is easier to maintain and develop against.  Though they are going to have a hard sell giving a half done program and taking out major things people actually like about the current client and telling us that its worthless and we should just move on and not care.  The arrows are something they refuse to put in no matter how much people want them.  The binder view I immagine is another high feed back they get from most users but they say it doesn't matter.  Not sure if they are doing anything about how horrible the foils look in the new client?  Have they changed the foils at all in the past couple of months?

As far as the people complaining about promos, and saying they will not play due to it.  I just don't see them viewing your feedback much if you are willing to not play due to not getting some mass promo worth pennies.  Would have to immagine you are not putting much money into the system and mostly just doing free stuff.  They are going to worry about the users who actually do things that bring money to them not people who sit in casual rooms all day.
Sure hope this is one hell of a patch tomorrow, but it often seems like a lot of important stuff is 'coming but not ready yet'.  You guys might have gotten less flak if you waited to publish this article until tomorrow when people could actually experience the newest build.  You also might have gotten a lot less flak if you picked a less critical time to plan to temporarily turn off the old client.  I realize that the incentives have not done as much as you hoped to get people to change clients, but doing this on PR weekend is an awful big risk.  

I personally prefer the beta client for most purposes at this point, but there are still a lot of issues (and i havent even dared touch multiplayer due to the horror stories I keep hearing) and the typically slow pace of patching/improvement has not exactly inspired a lot of confidence that it'll be fully ready by July (and certainly not by DGM PR).  That said, having tried the closed beta again again recently, I am not allowed to be specific but did notice more than one change/fix that people have been asking for.

EDIT:  Also, my calendar says May 8 is a Wednesday, not Thursday, as stated in the article.  Which is it? 
Sure hope this is one hell of a patch tomorrow

I'll be posting the changelist shortly, both in this thread and in the official changelist thread.

EDIT: Done. 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline