Fun with pixie monk

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok I have this character idea I want to try out for a pixie monk because that just sounds all kinds of fun.  So any help with build ideas or neat tricks a small flying martial arts expert can do would be great.

But one of the first things I thought of when building the character was flying above target and using dragon's tail strike on them.

If I hit and knock them prone while flying 1 square above them either directly or off to side then use movement technique to exchange places with them what happens next?  

First question, do they take an extra 1d10 falling damage?  

Second, does their falling movement provoke an attack of opportunity from me or a nearby party member?

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

1: No, you can't do this unless they can also fly

2: No; even if it were possible, falling from 5 (note, not 10) feet never causes damage.  And in the ccases where you can do it, even if you were making something fall from high enough to cause falling damage, in order for you to swap it into the air, it would need to be flying, and therefore, wouldn't take falling damage anyway.

Pixie Monk is still a fine idea (good stats, good mobility, and monks don't care about weapon sizes), it's just that this particular part of it doesn't work.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
1: No, you can't do this unless they can also fly.

I don't understand this part of what you are saying.  Why could you not switch places with a prone target if you are flying in the square above him unless it was also flying?

I can see the no damage from falling 1 square up.

How about the AoO on him for falling next to you? He is moving through a threatend square and it is not foced movement like a push, pull, slide effect.

Remember this is a public forum where people express their opinions assume there is a “In my humble opinion” in front of every post especially mine.  

Things you should check out because they are cool, like bow-ties and fezzes.

https://app.roll20.net/home  Roll20 great free virtual table top so you can play with old friends who are far away.

http://donjon.bin.sh/  Donjon has random treasure, maps, pick pocket results, etc.. for every edition of D&D.

Because things which can't fly, can't be force-moved into the air.  Unless this is teleportation, in which case the enemy gets a saving throw.

Falling doesn't provoke OAs.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The general rule is that you can't force move a creature into a space it couldn't otherwise move into. In the cases where the space is legal but it would be harmed (over a cliff, into lava, etc) it gets saving throw to stop before that terrain and go prone.

There are a couple very rare exceptions to powers that allow force moving a non-flying creature into the air without a save.
One is the level 3 wizard power Pinioning Vortex which states that the target stays up in the air for one round, and then lands in its original square without falling. 
  The other is the Air Drake from the Dark Sun Creature Catalog (level 22 Elite Skirmisher), which is pretty nasty.  It has a triggered power whenever any enemy within 5 squares  hits it that specifially states it can slide the triggering enemy vertically (overriding the general rule) and the target will then taking falling damage.

As for the Pixie Monk with Dragon's Tail, note that if you attack a flying creature with it and hit, the flying creature will go prone, which means crashing.   Assuming the creature has enough fly speed, it will land safely on the ground without taking falling damage and without being prone, which will also prevent swapping places with it while you are in the air.  And if there actually is a prone flying creature on the ground, it can't fly until its no longer prone, so you can't swap places with it to out in into the air then either.
Actually the general rule is that forced movement is two-dimensional, though that's largely due to lack of foresight in the writing of the rule.  It's an entirely reasonable houserule to say that a flying creature can forcemove another flying creature, but it's against all bounds of reason in addition to the actual rules to say that a flying creature can in general forcemove a nonflying creature into a flying square, only to have it fall.  There are specific exceptions I'd be willing to grant as a DM, like the level 2 fighter utility Forceful Drag, but they're relatively few in number.

They are few because the rules don't differentiate between actual physical forced movement and mental/deceptive/offbalancing forced movement.  While it might make sense that Forceful Drag would be able to pull someone up in the air, having them do the same with something like Hypnotism is completely out of the question.

But if you really want to exploit fall damage, then check out the Dreamwalker paragon path for the Psion, and how it works with the L1 at-will power Dimensional Scramble.  A failed save on the hostile teleport means up to 12 squares of falling - preferably over something else nasty or awkward, like say out the window, over a pit of lava, that sort of thing.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Um, they updated the forced movement rules specifically to address pulling people into the air.  I'm away from my RC, so not quotes... but it's rather explicitely denied.  This isn't an artifact, ye-can't-do-it. (baring specific powers.  And like Mand, as a DM I'll frequently grant exceptions via "Rule of Cool") 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

compendium says

Two-Dimensional: Forced movement is normally two-dimensional; all the squares of the movement must be on the same horizontal plane. Forced movement can become three-dimensional when the target is flying, is moved through a substance such as water, or is on a non-horizontal surface, such as an incline, that supports it. This means an earthbound target cannot normally be pushed to a square in the air, but a hovering target can be.

which is taken from PHB errata page 285

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdatePH.pdf