Targeting Ally

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think this has probably been covered before, but I can't for the life of me find an answer anywhere. Is it possible to target an ally when a power says target "one enemy"?
Your GM may allow it, but by strict reading, no.  Allies are allies, enemies are enemies.  No overlap.
I think this has probably been covered before, but I can't for the life of me find an answer anywhere. Is it possible to target an ally when a power says target "one enemy"?

No. 

(not even if you're dominated)
From the forum FAQ, if desired:
'Can I change allies/enemies in the middle of combat? Yes, with DM approval. The consensus is that, within reason, you can generally choose who you consider an ally/enemy (else mid-fight betrayals would be awkward), your choice affects your own powers, and other people may or may not reciprocate. However, changing 'allies' merely to say, optimize a power would be objectionable. Also note (RC p.106): "When a power defines a target as an ally, the ally is free to ignore the power's effect"'

So as mentioned: no, (even with the above option) if you consider them an ally, by RAW they cannot be targetted by a power that targets enemies. However, DMG p.42 provides yet another "stunt' option that can allow the DM to break that rule, if desired.