Swallowed Lich's Implement help please

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my last session the players defeated a Lich and retrieved its powerful crystal implement (psychic) that is about fist sized and one of the characters, a Barbarian Razorclaw Shifter swallowed it whole.

What should I do?

What happens in 16 hours?

What are the side effects?

I'm serious here, it happened...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
In my last session the players defeated a Lich and retrieved its powerful crystal implement (psychic) that is about fist sized and one of the characters, a Barbarian Razorclaw Shifter swallowed it whole.

What should I do?

I'm serious here, it happened...

Guilty i raise my hand to that
I don't play D&D but I like this. A lot.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Please help...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Guilty i raise my hand to that

You're the most qualified to answer the question.

Answer it with future adventure possibilities in mind. 

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

The implement has a mental tie with the Lich. The lich can now communicate directly with the character for as long as the lich choses to remain dead. Let madness grow from there as the party struggles to find a way to remove the object. If they don't find a way before the implement is broken down and digested (a couple days for an object of its size and make up, I'd say), the character will be permanenly tied to the lich's mind until they can destroy it and it's phylactery for good.

Happy Gaming
The implement has a mental tie with the Lich. The lich can now communicate directly with the character for as long as the lich choses to remain dead. Let madness grow from there as the party struggles to find a way to remove the object. If they don't find a way before the implement is broken down and digested (a couple days for an object of its size and make up, I'd say), the character will be permanenly tied to the lich's mind until they can destroy it and it's phylactery for good.

Happy Gaming

I would but its an indestructible artifact level magic item, but thanks for the advice...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
This thread reminds me of Scorpius from Farscape.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
this is too good not to subscribe to.
depending on how serious a game it is, you could do an array of awesome things.
the silliest i can think of, is have the lich slowly regrow as an attached twin to the PC, almost like Invader Zims "Pustulio"

but the most serious one i could think of is similar to what ToeSama. have it willingly stay dead and just kinda hang out, seeing where this new host takes him. use the mental connection to mess with the PC. possibly have him bluff his way into posing as the PC's god, or dead ancestors, or whatever.
i really need to trick my PC's into doing this. this is comedic gold.iFrame RemovediFrame Removed
Agree with Iserith here; what would be cool to happen with that character, maybe talk with them about what they think would happen/want to happen?  If it was me I would have done like LustSwordsinger's second suggestion, mind you already have enought weird strange players in my campaign already.

Happy Gaming

I would but its an indestructible artifact level magic item, but thanks for the advice...

That just makes it easier to make the mind link permanent, especially if it begins to grow into the character XD
There's no answer to this, which is what makes it a great situation for the group.

Work out with the group what should happen. If you're new to this, it's okay to politely veto things you're not sure how to handle, but make it clear that that's the reason, rather than making a reference to the rules of the game, which don't handle this.

Other than that, go any ideas anyone offers, and give veto power to the player. If he wants his character to die or suffer as a result, that's up to him. Otherwise, his character is fine. If you really want the character to suffer, you need to sell it to the player as an interesting outcome.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

I suspect the crystal is too large to be passed.

Lich can find it's phylactery, eventually.
Dead Lich can pop out of the phylactery
with explosive (read houserule) results.

Barbarian can no talk to stomach?
Stomach can no talk to Barbarian.
Maybe Barbarian talk to stomach
... but no tell friends.

Warforged Barb with the swallowed
crystal should have a -2 penalty to
Stealth with all that rattling around.

~Houserule but in the spirit of the rules:
Ritual of Lich Phylactery Barfing would absolutely
have to be a higher level than the lich.
Must be powered by 1 Healing Surge.
Ritual Scroll of Lich Phylactery Barfing
of Level X, is cheaper than a normal
magic item of the same level.

Now ... can you make the Scroll before the Lich shows up ?? (!!)

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Skill Challenge!  Help a for a barbarian to move a fist size object through his backside.  Relavent skills - Endurance, Heal... Thievery?

But seriously, does he want it to stay there or not?  If it stays, would it cause an impacted bowel and what effects would that have? Slowed? Lose a surge or two? Endurance check to negate some effects?

What magical effects would it grant.  Maybe get a daily power from it?  Is there a gut slot for magic items?

What fun you and your players have created! Kudos for outstanding play!

TjD

This is just like the end of the first video game in a franchise by a different company whose name is a reference to a storm during the winter!

Slow, over time possession! Quest to the East to find a magi to remove the crystal before possession is complete! Can they make it?!
So many PCs, so little time...

What should I do?

I'm serious here, it happened...

Well, since I don't think anybody's throat is wide enough to swallow anything that big ... he chokes.  If someone gives him the Heimlich, he spits it out.
So many delightful possibilities...

I agree with letting the players influence what happens, but at my table I wouldn't have a discussion about it. It would feel odd to ask a player, "What do you want to happen next to your character?" That's not his job, it's mine as DM to paint the world and his as player to make ingame choices.

I would give the party options through those ingame choices. Basically, you're now connected to this very powerful and valuable artifact, so multiple hooks are presented to the party:

"Soon after the battle, you run into a group of mercenaries led by a powerful wizard. He seeks the Lich's artifact and is willing to pay handsomely for it, and perhaps help with retrieving it." [PLAYER CAN CHOOSE TO SELL FOR GOLD]

"That night you have terrible dreams of unleashing necrotic magic against your foes. In your dream, you cast aside your axe and feel arcane power ripple through your clawed fingers." [PLAYER CAN CHOOSE TO PERSUE CLASS CHANGE, BECOMING WIZARD]

"As you walk through the forest, long-fingered shadows leap from the gloom. You are attacked by ghouls and ghasts! You hear a roaring laughter erupt from within your heart." [BRING INCREASING WANDERING UNDEAD AGAINST THE PARTY, THE LICH'S POWER IS ATTRACTING EVIL AND YOU BETTER GET RID OF THAT ARTIFACT]

You can present players with several different directions by the events they run into. See which one they bite at and persue that. 
I agree with letting the players influence what happens, but at my table I wouldn't have a discussion about it. It would feel odd to ask a player, "What do you want to happen next to your character?" That's not his job, it's mine as DM to paint the world and his as player to make ingame choices.

If you say so. Beyond any specific, narrow method, it's the job of both DMs and players to help make the game an good use of everyone's free time.

Apparently, you needed input, so you came here to ask for input from people who don't know your players and don't have their enjoyment in mind, except in the abstract. You could be talking to people who you know and who know you and who benefit directly from ideas that you, they and the rest of the table come up with as a group.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

I like some of these suggestions. I'll probably implement a few of them, but can't say which because my players read these forums. Thanks...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
I like some of these suggestions. I'll probably implement a few of them, but can't say which because my players read these forums. Thanks...

No we don't Tongue Out