Standard Red Deck Wins

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
First post here, and was looking for your opinions and/or advice on my RDW deck. I plan on playing it this Friday at FNM and want to make sure I'm 100% ready.

Here's the decklists:

Creatures:
x4 Boros Reckoner
x4 Hellrider
x4 Stonewright
x4 Ash Zealot
x4 Stromkirk Noble
x4 Legion Loyalist
x4 Rakdos Cackler

Spells:
x4 Mizzium Mortars
x4 Searing Spear
x4 Pillar of Flame

Lands:
x20 Mountains 

That's it, I've never played in a Standard tournament so tips and advice on what decks are prominent and what to lookout for. Also have no idea how to properly sideboard cards and whatnot so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 
This looks solid. I ran a similar list at my FNM recently and made top 4. You my think about Madcap Skills and Traitorous Blood (taking control of a Thragtusk is fun)
This looks solid. I ran a similar list at my FNM recently and made top 4. You my think about Madcap Skills and Traitorous Blood (taking control of a Thragtusk is fun)

Oooh, definitely gonna put Traitorous Bloods in the sideboard. That could get interesting.
Mizzium Mortars might be better sideboard; it's your best friend in some match-ups, but generally, you do want burn that can go to the head. Unfortunately, you really have to have an answer for Loxodon Smiter and Mortars is one of the few available in .

I like Brimstone Volley for the closer; I've finished SO many games with that thing.

16 one-drops seems excessive; I would prefer another two-drop. The only one with haste is Rakdos Shred-Freak.
I have been having bad luck with Reckoners in the Main Borad...
There, I said it. They get bullied and their abilities are counter-intuitive.

Brimstone Volley Is key here considering how often a creature will die. Also Lightning Mauler and Pyreheart Wolf. Mauler will speed everyone else up and the wolf will get them through.
There's also the Elephant in the room.

I never tried playing with a legion Loyalist, but then again I can't remember a time when anyone let me have 3 creatures on the battlefield. Maybe Sideboard against token decks if that shows up in your meta.

Speaking of sideboard choices, I highly recommend Traitorous Blood and Volcanic Strength. Many a Thragtusk gets stolen and that does bad things to your opponent. Also, tons of people are playing Mountains nowadays.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules

Magic: The Gathering Formats

Tips & Tricks

Catotheyounger wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher came in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old girl.
Sign In to post comments