Moose 3.5

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there stats for a moose for 3.5? If so, what book? I found something online (not sure if I am allowed to post the link to it), and it looks fine to me. However, I have heard that some of the online resources are not reliable and I am not sure if this one is reliable. I found carribou in Frostburn but it will not work as the description indicates most medium creatures are too big to ride one. The moose will be mounts for bugbears.

Thanks

The rhinoceros is infamous for its bad temper and willingness to chargeintruders.

The statistics presented here are based on the African black rhino, which is 6 to 14 feet long, 3 to 6 feet high at the shoulder, and weighs up to 6,000 pounds. These statistics can describe any herbivore of similar size and similar natural weapons (antlers, horns, tusks, or the like).

Combat

When it is harassed or annoyed, a rhinoceros lowers its head and charges.

Powerful Charge (Ex)

A rhinoceros deals 4d6+24 points of damage when it makes a charge.

------------------------

And more to the point, if you've got Frostburn, "Megalocerous" p. 117 

I'd also suggest looking at the Bison stats block in addition to that of the Rhino.  Physically, I think a Moose has more in common with the Bison then it does a rhino except for the "social" aspects.  In all honesty even a Heavy Warhorse could be used as a template for creating a Moose except you'll probably want to add some kind of gore attack for its antlers; you should remember that a moose is a LOT of leg granted it is still a pretty large animal.

The more I think about it the less I like using the Rhino as a template.  A moose wouldn't have it's natural armor, isn't as built for charging, has long legs compared to the rest of it which is very un-rhino like.  If you have carribou stats then I'd REALLY suggest using those as a base line and maybe giving the mose another HD or even two. 
Actually I think the statistics for moose were published in the revised bestiary of krynn, what is essentially the monster manual for the dragon lance campaign setting. However if you don't have access to that book, I'd take Nue's advice.

Edit: also, StevenO, makes some decent points (which he posted well I was typing my responce ^-^')

Edit: also, StevenO, makes some decent points (which he posted well I was typing my responce ^-^')

We all do that at times.  The worst times are when you're actually trying to reply to a post that is already being edited.

Caribou at 5 hit dice progress to size large. While using a basic caribou would not work, an advanced hit dice version could work, maybe with a few tugging at their ability scores to produce stats that better represent moose.

We all do that at times.  The worst times are when you're actually trying to reply to a post that is already being edited.

I know, I hate it when that happens.

On the topic of the...er...topic, I found the stats for the moose. They are indeed in Bestiary of Krynn under mundane animals. If you dont have the book, the stats are posted in this forum it seems (not sure  if I would get in trouble for posting the stats directly, but scroll through the thread and you should come to them eventually).

www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?205...
A Megaloceros from Frostburn seems like its basically a moose.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

They're also stated in the Kalamar Besitary book for 3.5 Try Enworld too.

Mike
In all honesty even a Heavy Warhorse could be used as a template for creating a Moose except you'll probably want to add some kind of gore attack for its antlers

And a bite.  Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...
In all honesty even a Heavy Warhorse could be used as a template for creating a Moose except you'll probably want to add some kind of gore attack for its antlers

If you go that far there is also nasty kick with those long legs.  When it comes to DND stats the kick is more likely then a bit from an herbivore.

If you go that far there is also nasty kick with those long legs.  When it comes to DND stats the kick is more likely then a bit from an herbivore.

A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

And now for something completely different.
Sign In to post comments