Can Essential classes use PHB class powers?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can they? For instance when a 2nd level Essnetial Mage chooses his/her utility are they limited to just whats in HotFL and everything beyond that or can they use PHB and Arcane Power stuff?

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

yes as long as you get a choice like all wizard (Mage) powers and cleric (warpreist) daillies and the utillities of all the classes.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
When essentials classes give you a choice of powers with levels, then yes you can swap.

Otherwise you can't.

Pretty sure all essentials classes share utility powers with their parents, there might be 1 or 2 'prechosen' levels.

Classes desgined to spam basic attacks tend to be able to swap nothin but utilities without a feat.
If thats the case, what is the difference betweens the PHB Wizard and Mage?

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Class features.

Wizard has ritual casting + implement bonuses

Mage has school perks, better spell book, + free magic missile. 

Class features.

Wizard has ritual casting + implement bonuses

Mage has school perks, better spell book, + free magic missile. 

Personally, I find it to often be a hard choice.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

Personally, I find it to often be a hard choice.

Its sort of the choice between generalist (wizard) and focused (mage). 

I tend to lean mage because my party doesnt use rituals much, and that free magic missile is nice given how often we've had enemies reduced to 1 HP and suddenly people cant roll above a 3. Such enemies usually start spouting qoutes from the Black Knight of Monty Python.

We had an enemy once who did progressively higher damage + attack the lower his Hp was (was percent based, since we were on Maptool, we could have code calculate it). He really started to dominate because we simply couldnt roll worth a damn.
If you use the online builder, whenever an Essentials class is given a choice for powers or feats, unless it's a very specific case, they have the entire back-catelog of 4e feats and powers to pick from.
If you use the online builder, whenever an Essentials class is given a choice for powers or feats, unless it's a very specific case, they have the entire back-catelog of 4e feats and powers to pick from.

BUT you still have to tell the program "show me all options".
If you forget to do that the program will take it for granted that you don't want to use all available options.
And remember when you take something for granted it grates on someones tuckus.    
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.