[DGM-ICD] Pontiff of Blight

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pontiff of Blight 4bb
Creature - Zombie Cleric (R)
Extort
Other creatures you control have extort. (If a creature has multiple instances of extort, each triggers separately.)
2/7

27/156 Art by Seb McKinnon

Source MTGS 

i have been waiting for this one! omg its beautiful!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Why is this rare? =/ I guess Crypt Ghast curves into it...
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Question: I've seen wizards print a lot of creatures like this recently, where they have a quality, then say "all other [card types like this one] have that quality too." In this case, the pontiff has extort, then grants other creatures you control extort. Avacyn was indestructible, and made everything else you control indestructible.

Why not just say "all creatures you control have extort"?
GILBIC methinks. 7 toughness o.0

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
That could be a whole bunch of extorting the next turn....cast a measly Tragic Slip and extort off of 6 creatures....not a bad swing in and of itself. This is like black's version of Sublime Archangel I guess.

I like it.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
According to Maro people just understand "~ has X, all other creatures have X" just better than "all creatures you control have X"
And he curves right into Teysa! Standard slam dunk, guys! 
Question: I've seen wizards print a lot of creatures like this recently, where they have a quality, then say "all other [card types like this one] have that quality too." In this case, the pontiff has extort, then grants other creatures you control extort. Avacyn was indestructible, and made everything else you control indestructible.

Because if you changed the card's creature type then it would lose its own ability. Granted, I don't recall having seen any creature-type changing shennigans in recent sets, but the possibility is there in older formats.

lol I can see it now:

You play this
Opponent "pfft what a terrible card"
your next turn "I play ponder, I drain you for 8 gg"
0_0

Rite of Replication

You now have 36 extort triggers 
combo's with teysa in "the unplayables" (a deck made of cards people said were unplayable, not meant to be a super winner just show that every card has potential)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Why is this rare? =/ I guess Crypt Ghast curves into it...

You think this kind of effect should be in uncommon? Even if you think this is weak this is an effect that can only be done at rare or higher. 

Anyway, I love this. Going to play it in commander since this is the uber mana sink. 
Really wish this had a smaller butt so it didn't cost so much. This has potential but it is something you want to get in early.

Oh well, overcosting FTW.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
B/U zombies 4 life!
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
This may just be crazy splashy enough to work! I gotta at least try it out... 

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

B/U zombies 4 life!

Gravecrawler.......I want to make this.

Because if you changed the card's creature type then it would lose its own ability. Granted, I don't recall having seen any creature-type changing shennigans in recent sets, but the possibility is there in older formats.

I said "card" type not "creature" type
Really wish this had a smaller butt so it didn't cost so much. This has potential but it is something you want to get in early.

Oh well, overcosting FTW.

Having it much earlier than a 5 or 6 drop doesn't really do you a whole lot of good as you still need the mana to take advantage of it.

I read this as a 2/2 at first and thought it was horrible.  As a 2/7 it'll be a lot of fun in casual, edh and limited.
Six mana for a 2/7. Thanks, but no thanks. A 3/6 was broken? Someone explain the logic behind these stats.
A card was made for my Doran the siege deck Laughing
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Six mana for a 2/7. Thanks, but no thanks. A 3/6 was broken? Someone explain the logic behind these stats.

What would being a 3/6 at the 6 slot accomplish that a 2/7 can't? He can block 3/5 of the titans and live easily. The one power difference doesn't really matter since he's not meant to swing, and to the earlier comments about rarity there's no way this could be less than a rare, it'd make limited a nightmare for anyone not playing black guilds. I like him, he may find play in competitive token decks but if not casual will still love him.

What would being a 3/6 at the 6 slot accomplish that a 2/7 can't? He can block 3/5 of the titans and live easily. The one power difference doesn't really matter since he's not meant to swing, and to the earlier comments about rarity there's no way this could be less than a rare, it'd make limited a nightmare for anyone not playing black guilds. I like him, he may find play in competitive token decks but if not casual will still love him.

Well, a 3/6 may have been constructed playable. There are a large number of creatures with only 3 toughness that this card could have been effective against Thragtusk, Flinthoof Boar, Hellrider. As is, it's just a large pile of crap.

Well, a 3/6 may have been constructed playable. There are a large number of creatures with only 3 toughness that this card could have been effective against Thragtusk, Flinthoof Boar, Hellrider. As is, it's just a large pile of crap.

Well, the boar and thrugtusk will rotate way before this guy leaves standard. Aside from killing tokens produced by blinking/bouncing wouldn't the 2/7 body be more favorable against Thragtusk? Finally, how big of a deal is Hellrider when you can just extort back all the chip damage from his effect?
Do multiple instances of extort stack?  If I have several creatures out that already have extort, do they have "extort, extort?"

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Well, the boar and thrugtusk will rotate way before this guy leaves standard. Aside from killing tokens produced by blinking/bouncing wouldn't the 2/7 body be more favorable against Thragtusk? Finally, how big of a deal is Hellrider when you can just extort back all the chip damage from his effect?

You're missing the point, most black cards seem to linger at the cusp of playability. There's always one detail/drawback or stat that makes them unplayable. Take Crypt Ghast for example, the ghast could have been a really good card if it were just a little stronger. If it were a 1/4 or hell, even a 3/4 like Resto Angel.
That 7 thoughness sticks out in a negative fashion.

That said, I don't hate this card. I wish it cost 5CMC though. Being pushed as hard as Sublime Archangel is not good, but being this much on the safe said ain't either.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

How do you figure?
Do multiple instances of extort stack?  If I have several creatures out that already have extort, do they have "extort, extort?"

Yes.  That's what the reminder text, "...each triggers separately" means.

Rules Advisor

You're missing the point, most black cards seem to linger at the cusp of playability. There's always one detail/drawback or stat that makes them unplayable. Take Crypt Ghast for example, the ghast could have been a really good card if it were just a little stronger. If it were a 1/4 or hell, even a 3/4 like Resto Angel.

It's unfortunate that green and white have been pushed so hard as of late but comparing every other colors cards to the green or white outliers in standard at the most is just going to result with you being disappointed. I get your point just fine, it could be stronger but my point is it can probably do just fine with the stats that it's going to have due to the fact it has other aspects to it. As is it's going to be a big dumb wall that'll lock up the ground and that can bleed your opponent dry while padding your life total with support. Crypt Ghast is seeing play and getting results with the stats it's been given, if Ghast was resto size it'd be ridiculous. It's supposed to be weak in combat but makes up for it with high-mana acceleration. What you call drawbacks I call balance. It's just unfortunate that balance didn't come through on Restoration Angel and Thragtusk. It's probably better for the game that they're not trying to match mistakes they've printed in the past by printing other ones.

With Crypt Ghast landing on T4 you could drop this on turn 5 if you have at least two swamps. This might be able to make extort viable in MBC. (Doubt it though)
holy **** double black! 

my heartless summoning dimir deck has a new toy =D.

HS and for 4 mana and I get a 1/5 that makes all my creatures have extort.
now I also have a reason to play with 2 heartless summonings 

How do you figure?

Okay, I wasn't really thinking about it right, or I would have said it better. Most cards are something like "first strike" + "all other soldiers get first strike". If it merely said "all soldiers get first strike" instead, then if you de-soldier it, it no longer has first strike.

This obviously doesn't apply here as it says "all creatures" rather than a specific creature type, so I'm assuming that it's just the standard template these days. Otherwise, there might be some confusion, for example, if an enchantment said "all other enchantments gain hexproof" if people aren't used to reading the "other" part in that construction. Confusion is bad.

Or, you know, it could make a difference in a corner case where someone turns the Pontiff into some kind of non-creature permanent without erasing its abilities. Then it will still have extort.
A bit pricy but with an interesting ability.

Because then you'd get people saying "does THIS creature have extort too???" You might think it'd be dumb of them to do so, but why not save on confusion? It's not like it costs anything.

Anyway, I have to say I find it kind of odd that in the W/B guild, a creature granting the guild ability to all your creatures is black rather than white. Because propping up everybody is the white thing to do. Obviously there are black creatures that grant abilities to all your other creatures, but the whole point of the Orzhov is that it's white as well as black. Especially since this thing has toughness way greater than its power. But whatever I guess.
I may try to build around this thing at some point. Seems neat.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
this guy plus Assemble the Legion and, i dunno, one Tragic Slip late in the game. sounds fun

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

This guy is VERY strong.  This will lend itself well to MBC, or Bx Control.  That ghast makes it all possible.  Mark my words, it will jump in price soon, get 'em while they're cheap.

The more thoughness the better for what this guy tries to do.
I play for fun
The fact this is mono black is reeeally weird, not to say flavor fail.
Still like it though, gotta see the art.

Question: I've seen wizards print a lot of creatures like this recently, where they have a quality, then say "all other [c]Daru warchief templating made it look bad. I would much rather those lord effect be intrinsic to the card and give off the aura to all other creatures.
I play for fun
a creature with 2 extorts can simply extort twice, nothing else special right? 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Sign In to post comments