5 Color specific ritual sorceries

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

White ritual |   X

Sorcery

Gain life equal to X.  After this spell resolves, add to your mana pool for each life gained due to this spell.

Convoke (Each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature’s color.)

Conspire (as you play this spell, you may tap 2 untapped creatures you control that share a color with it.  When you do, copy it and you may choose new targets for the copy)

Blue ritual   |   X

Sorcery

Return X target permanents to their owners’ hand’s.  After this spell resolves, add to your mana pool for each permanent that leave the battlefield due to this spell.

Convoke (Each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature’s color.)

Conspire (as you play this spell, you may tap 2 untapped creatures you control that share a color with it.  When you do, copy it and you may choose new targets for the copy)

Black ritual  |   X

Sorcery

Put X -1/-1 counters divided any way you choose on any number of target creatures.  After this spell resolves, add to your mana pool for each counter placed due to this spell.

Red ritual |   X

Sorcery

Do X damage divided any way you choose to any number of target creatures, players or plainswalkers.  After this spell resolves, add to your mana pool for each damage dealt by this spell.

Green Ritual |   X

Sorcery

Put X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens into play.  After this spell resolves, add to your mana pool for each creature that entered the battlefield due to this spell.

Note:  I never liked that none of the ritual spells required the tapping of creatures.  The point i'm trying to get across with these is that the more participants in a ritual, the greater the effect.  tapping 3 creatures makes the spell pay for itself, tapping 5 actually generates 3 more mana than was originally spent.

These are all insanely broken. Especially the blue one, which is pretty much a "Target opponent restarts the game. (Sucks to be them.)"

They're probably priced about right to have either Conspire or Convoke as an ability, but definitely not the recharging mana part under any circumstances.

I do, however, like how the red ritual can deal damage to plainswalkers.

There are zillion things wrong with these.  I'll just name one: 1/1 green creature tokens should be Saprolings.  Generally speaking, green tokens are:

• 1/1 Saprolings

• 2/2 Wolves

• 3/3 Beasts

• And anything bigger is a Beast or Elemental

interesting math exercise
NO WAR

On Entrance; put a land you control owner's hand.

: gather , or .

and tap a creature you control: add or remove

an underground counter to or from that creaure.

Creatures with underground counters

can only block or be blocked by

other creatures with underground counters.

~ancient and forgotten dwell

There are zillion things wrong with these.  I'll just name one: 1/1 green creature tokens should be Saprolings.  Generally speaking, green tokens are:

• 1/1 Saprolings

• 2/2 Wolves

• 3/3 Beasts

what

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sets I Made: Fleets of Ossia (complete) | Wavebreak (in progress)

• 1/1 Saprolings

• 2/2 Wolves

• 3/3 Beasts

thank god you picked up on the key issue
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

You may tap your creatures for
 one mana of their color to cast this.
Gain X life and pull X mana.
You may tap 2 of your white creature to
 gain X life and pull X mana again.
NO WAR

On Entrance; put a land you control owner's hand.

: gather , or .

and tap a creature you control: add or remove

an underground counter to or from that creaure.

Creatures with underground counters

can only block or be blocked by

other creatures with underground counters.

~ancient and forgotten dwell

• 1/1 Saprolings

• 2/2 Wolves

• 3/3 Beasts

I disagree. They could also be squirrels.

I think we should have a protracted argument about this very fact as it is clearly the most significant thing wrong with these cards. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Ok, i'll bend to everyone's agreement that the green ritual should generate saprolings.  Note that since they do not come into play until the spell resolves, none of these can be used towards the convoke or conspire ability of the spell.

As to the mana gain, that's really the point of these spells--like the classic dark ritual.  Furthermore, they allow swarm decks to take advantage of all those weenies on the battlefield (which since they tap, they can no longer block.)   

the Blue ritual is powerful, as are all of them--but not as much as you may think.  Each of these spells require you to have a lot of creatures in play to really take advantage of them.  Creatures tapped for Convoke don't count towards conspire.  To get the minimum effect for each of these spells, you must tap at least 4 mana sources or creatures, and that only generates one bonus mana, which must be used before the end of the phase.  Essentially, they are really are ineffective early game, moderately effective mid game, and only become devastating in the end game.

If you really think the boomerang ability is too powerful for the blue ritual, what would work better? draw? blink/flicker?  

But Broken?  Are these spells really any more powerful than the other extant 18 cards in the game with the text "you win the game?"  

MTG has been moving for quite some time to get the game over by round 6.  These spells would move a game a long way in that direction.

In the face of overwhelming opposition however, the best balance for these spells, (IMO) is simply to make them legendary or mythic rare.
With the blue ritual, if you have 3 creatures on turn 5, you can bounce all your opponent's lands and one other permanent, then follow up with a 6-drop.
With the blue ritual, if you have 3 creatures on turn 5, you can bounce all your opponent's lands and one other permanent, then follow up with a 6-drop.

Which would likely end the game by turn 6.  Isn't this what WotC want?

but if everyone insists, ok, a change to the blue:  limit it to non-land or change the ability to blink/flicker or draw?         

Sign In to post comments