Monk Question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another week, another question.

I've got a guy who is using a monk.  He has a ki weapon, and a bunch of ki focuses.  He's saying that he can use the properties and encounter powers of the ki focus while using his ki weapon for attacks.

Now, a ki weapon lets you treat the weapon as a focus.  So my immediate response is no.  But this guy is insistant, so I figured I would need a second opinion.  For example, he's saying that he can use the ki focus that gives him +2 to ac vs oppertunity attacks, and then attack with his +3 ki weapon.

If you can help, that would be great.  Thanks.
Unless the ki focus has a property or power that requires you to actually attack with it, then yes its properties work.

It's no different than having two weapons equipped.  The one you're not attacking with doesn't grant any benefits that are dependent on attacking.  +2 to AC vs OAs does not fall into that category, so he gets the benefit.

Ki weapon, by contrast, has a property that only happens when you attack, so you have to attack with it in order to get the benefit.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
a ki weapon lets you treat the weapon as a focus

Not really. Ki Weapon have nothing to do with Ki focus. Its just a magic weapon that boost Flurry of Blow.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

a ki weapon lets you treat the weapon as a focus

Not really. Ki Weapon have nothing to do with Ki focus. Its just a magic weapon that boost Flurry of Blow.

And this is an important point because you only be attuned to a single Ki Focus at a time, which you can only change during a rest.  However he can use either the Ki Focus or any Ki Weapon with which he is proficient as an implement and all monk powers are implement powers, and he does not have to attune to the Ki Weapon.
   In the case where the monk does make a weapon attack (ex: Melee basic) he can choose to use the properties of his Ki Focus in place of the properties of the weapon, while still using the [W] of the weapon.

All that being said, I'm not entirely sure I agree that you must attack  with the Ki Weapon when you trigger Flurry of Blows to gain its property on Flurry of Blows because Flurry of Blows does not have the weapon or implement keyword, and therefore, as long as your are wielding the weapon, it's property should apply to the Flurry.
Alright, thanks