Online CB no longer updated monthly

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a quick heads-up in case anyone was unaware.  I doubt it's remotely surprising to anyone.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

No word on when/if further updates will be happening.

Bus
4e.

Splat.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'd be surprised if this was news to anyone in this forum. They screwed the pooch on the suggested errata they asked for, messing up the things they did change and ignoring several key issues because the RC is Holy Writ. Possibly the worst decision ever to ask CharOp for a list of what needed to be errata'd, and how, and then **** with it. Christ that still pisses me off. With updating the game going out the window (and his post on that is ridiculous BS, that there isn't enough content to justify releasing errata for the "few" critical issues left), and a complete absence of a substantial amount of new material their decision seems pretty clear. They don't do "small" updates. They wait for a backlog till it can be a big update, then do that. Except there won't ever be enough content under that critera, 4e is basically dead from a developement perspective.

I feel bad for the all the DDI subscribers who missed the clear indicators of this trend and their piss poor support. They really haven't been getting what they've been paying for.
Ok so what can be done regarding damage control?
Do a list of all the stuff that needs to be fixed/added to the CB so that people who look for it there and can find it get an answer as to why?
Make a list of suggested errata for DMs to houserule? 
Ok so what can be done regarding damage control?
Do a list of all the stuff that needs to be fixed/added to the CB so that people who look for it there and can find it get an answer as to why?
Make a list of suggested errata for DMs to houserule? 

What we're talking about here is mostly the addition of the 2013 Dragon/Dungeon content to the online CB, Compendium and Monster Builder. As long as readers of these forums are made aware of their existence (mostly a couple of racial updates/variants and new themes), no other 'damage control' is needed. 

So start a thread, but be careful not to list the new content too literally, otherwise the thread gets ORCed. Mostly just a general overview of the additions and the source.
I was thinking more about stuff in the CB hat currently doesn't work (and given the recent developments probably never will) but then I remembered there is a thread like that already.
Dammit. I just renewed. :/ I was looking forward to the hobgoblin and dragonborn subraces making it into the builder.
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
I have never considered renewing since the virtual tabletop doom become apparent. Now it seems it was a good decision.
I have to ask though - with the (officially) reduced support - why is the subscription cost remaining the same?
Because enough people are still willing to pay it. 
I only own phb1 and phb2 - I play my games pretty much entirely from the character builder and compendium. If they take them down, I would cease to be able to play - hopefully they'll give sufficient warning so I can build all my characters out to 30 before they remove the software.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I doubt this would happen, but it would be nice if, before it was taken down from the site, they made a downloadable/offline Character Builder & Compendium that we could use (though that ultimately won't happen as it doesn't push us to buy D&DNext).

Been paying for the DDI subscription for three years myself, and I don't want to have to go back and download all the Dragon Magazines and purchase copies of what books I've missed in order to be able to keep playing 4e, because I don't think my group would be overly keen on changing systems.
Guess it's time to finally go with the offline option. I've avoided it because I've wanted to show that there are people willing to pay for new content/services, but I guess there aren't enough of us to matter. Their loss. I'll miss the Compendium though, even as error-riddled as it is.
I'll miss the Compendium though, even as error-riddled as it is.

The Compendium is actually the tool that convinces me to keep my subscription. Although I visit this forum often, I spend most of my time DMing. And the Compendium is pretty invaluable if you don't own any books (although just buying/DLing an MM3 and a couple of Monster Vaults isn't the worst either). 

Yeah, I really like the Compendium, issues and all. Sure, I can use the offline builder as a semi-reliable one, but its nice to be able to look through all things in my purview quickly
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />I feel bad for the all the DDI subscribers who missed the clear indicators of this trend and their piss poor support. They really haven't been getting what they've been paying for.

I, for the record, have been getting EXACTLY what I've been paying for:  The Compendium.  The online builder's been worse since day 1, so I never switched from the old one.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
There's an alternate offline CB out there, fully updated- just sayin'
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I use said alternate offline CB and am VERY happy with it.  And it's free.  It's the best value by far. 

The Compendium is decent.  What I haven't understood for quite awhile, though, is how basically the Compendium alone is worth the subscription price.  I think that this company has swindled as much money from this cash cow as they could while delivering 1/3 of the original promised online functionality.

It's old news now though, I guess.
Considering the Compendium is searchable without a sub and you can just go look up the actual source which, bonus points, is actually accurate... the primary value of the Compendium is basically free.
It would have been nice if, as WotC gradually dropped features I was interested in, I could have dropped out of that aspect of the subscription.  No table development, no money.  Nothing but uninteresting drivel in the magazines, no money.  5th edition, no money (oh sorry sorry - DnD Next).  I'd love to pay for the content I want.

But welcome to the online world people.  You pay your money in the hope that maybe you will get what you want.  And we just keep paying in that hope, because hope springs eternal, and no one is actually offering what we want or we'd be there.  Instead, we're tossing coins into the wishing well and hoping to keep the dreams alive.

And the corporations are laughing at us all the way to the bank.

There is one ray of sunshine though.  They'll have nothing to spend their money on other than empty promises as well  (OK that and sports cars).  Viva la new age !!

/cynicism off.
/cynicism off.
/cynicism off.

Hmm - seems to be stuck - oh well.
Considering the Compendium is searchable without a sub and you can just go look up the actual source which, bonus points, is actually accurate... the primary value of the Compendium is basically free.

Free, if you own all of the books and want to carry them around...

And don't mind checking errata and scribbling in your books.

So one time I bought a video game and the DRM prevented it from working. I then pirated said video game. Worked perfectly.

Either a company allows me to consume their content in the way that I want to, or I fix it without outside resources. The days of having to put up with great content with **** delivery are long over.
Aclestis, I agree 100% on this.  If a company delivers any product in an unreasonable or greedy way I believe that the end user should take steps to enjoy the purchased product in the best way it can be. 

Otherwise, companies start believing that customers will accept Horrendous DRM on games, music, movies, and more.  It creates tension and dissonance between customers and their content creators which doesn't seem too healthy for any market.

So one time I bought a video game and the DRM prevented it from working. I then pirated said video game. Worked perfectly.

Either a company allows me to consume their content in the way that I want to, or I fix it without outside resources. The days of having to put up with great content with **** delivery are long over.

OK, sure, I'll add "or if you've pirated them".  But saying that things that could be pirated are "free" is like saying donuts you could steal are "free".

(Note: I am NOT morally equivocating between the two, just pointing out that we don't usually describe something as "free" if the only way to get it without charge is illegal.)
If you pay for donuts, and they are undercooked and have no sprinkles when you specifically ordered sprinkles, then try to take it back and tell them it isn't what you paid for and just want the GD donut you ordered, and find that they don't actually have customer service at all, I see no problems with taking a donut from the case.
And watch as the story ends up on notalwaysright.com?
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
And you in jail ... over a donut.  So, probably on World's Dumbest Criminals also.  :P
Its more like some questionable  guy offering both old and new donuts for free, outside of the sight for the donut vendor who is charging the same for his undercooked donuts as he did when they were good.

Odds are you'll eat your donut and never be cought, and be much happier than having eaten the expensive undercooked one. If the value of the expensive undercooked one wasn't going to entice you to buy it anyway, its not like the vendor actually lost money.

Since the program and not the updates are technically legal, thats just like adding your own sprinkles if you add it yourself.

To add to this, the vendor is also trying to sell everyone on buying DonutNext, and seems to abandoning the quality of his 4th generation donut to try to force people to switch to those...or go away, its not entirely sure.  It doesn't seem like Donut Makers of the Coast know what people liked about 4th generation donuts.

DonutNext is also in a tricky spot, as it has to appeal to fans of 4th gen donuts, pre-4th gen donuts, and fans of DonutFinder, the guys who made a slight alteration to 3rd gen donuts' recipe but with different colours.

Such a delicious discussion.
Can I get three glazed bards with sprinkles, 3 cinnamon-sugar fighters, 3 powdered fighters, and 3 chocolate barbarians?
Can I get three glazed bards with sprinkles, 3 cinnamon-sugar fighters, 3 powdered fighters, and 3 chocolate barbarians?

Baked Bards.  Check.  (4/20 has been and gone, after all.)
Sugar Fighters .... um ... Fairy Fighters.  Check.
Powdered Fighteres.  These are harder to come up with.... Shader-kai Fighters.  Check.
Chocolate barbarians.  That's just wrong.  But ... Drow Barbarians.  Check.  :P     
It wouldn't be a problem if fan made compendiums, wikis, and character builders didn't get the occasional DMCA. I very much hope that WotC/Hasbo will cease fighting their community, seeing as they are not going to support them anymore.
It wouldn't be a problem if fan made compendiums, wikis, and character builders didn't get the occasional DMCA. I very much hope that WotC/Hasbo will cease fighting their community, seeing as they are not going to support them anymore.

I can't see that happening. You either enforce as widely as you can or you don't. If you enforce narrowly, infringers can say that they're being specifically picked on.

i.e. not enforcing potentially could lead to a copycat 4e game, which WotC would most certainly want to stop - even if the possibility is likely remote because no one capable of making the game would want to get sued by WotC. 
If you pay for donuts, and they are undercooked and have no sprinkles when you specifically ordered sprinkles, then try to take it back and tell them it isn't what you paid for and just want the GD donut you ordered, and find that they don't actually have customer service at all, I see no problems with taking a donut from the case.

Basic reading comprehension, dude.  I'm not opining on whether there is "a problem" with taking a donut from the case; I'm just suggesting that most people wouldn't call it a free donut.
I use said alternate offline CB and am VERY happy with it.  And it's free.  It's the best value by far. 

The Compendium is decent.  What I haven't understood for quite awhile, though, is how basically the Compendium alone is worth the subscription price.  I think that this company has swindled as much money from this cash cow as they could while delivering 1/3 of the original promised online functionality.

It's old news now though, I guess.

I got a sub, and I like the compendium. CB sometimes freezes on me... which is a pain. Can anyone help me and send me a link to the offline updated one. I keep finding the old one that is no longer updated.

Alcestis wrote:
I'd be surprised if this was news to anyone in this forum. They screwed the pooch on the suggested errata they asked for, messing up the things they did change and ignoring several key issues because the RC is Holy Writ. Possibly the worst decision ever to ask CharOp for a list of what needed to be errata'd, and how, and then **** with it. Christ that still pisses me off. With updating the game going out the window (and his post on that is ridiculous BS, that there isn't enough content to justify releasing errata for the "few" critical issues left), and a complete absence of a substantial amount of new material their decision seems pretty clear. They don't do "small" updates. They wait for a backlog till it can be a big update, then do that. Except there won't ever be enough content under that critera, 4e is basically dead from a developement perspective.

I feel bad for the all the DDI subscribers who missed the clear indicators of this trend and their piss poor support. They really haven't been getting what they've been paying for.
So if somebody wanted to make a ummm new game that looked very familiar is there a composite of the CharOp advice still available ;p
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

First advice in that case is "Be very careful what you're doing, 4e doesn't have remotely the same OGL as 3.x"

"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.