Advice for first 5e session.

So I've been reading up on 5e for about a month now, but I am finally going to get to play some this sunday. Im going to be a halfling cleric in a group of five. Any advice for my first 5e session? Certain rules or concepts to keep in mind? Any Cleric advice would also be appreciated. I'd rather not see a TPK first dungeon.
Depends on your background as a player. What editions (if any) are you familiar with?

Don't forget that all healing spells can be cast as swift spells, so you can also take another action in the same turn, but you can't cast another spell. Remember that all of the healing spells are ranged now. Also remember that there is now just one Cure Wounds spell that can be cast at any spell level for additional healing instead of separate Cure Light, Cure Moderate and so forth. Remember that the Cure Minor Wounds cantrip only works if the target has 3 or less HP.

There are a million ways to play a Cleric and it all depends on your specific build. Which deity?

Don't use Wisdom as a dump stat. Most TPKs happen because the party rushes into something they can't handle without a damned good plan. And sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
Don't forget that healing starts at 0 now, so your buddy could be at -1,493 HP (don't ask how), and a single Cure Minor Wounds would leave them at 1 HP.

If you're a warrior-cleric: it's better to save your spells for self-buffs and use Cure Minor Wounds to raise allies after they fall. It lets you keep dealing damage and ends the fight faster, and your allies don't suffer much of a loss; it only takes them 5ft. of movement to get up and either run off or (like my allies always do...) rush back into battle and get dropped again. Keep Cure Wounds prepared just in case you really need it, but your spells are better spent on making you a massive murder-machine. Allies can heal with HD and potions after combat.

If you're a healing/buffing cleric, then a very good option when using a Swift spell is to use the Dodge action. +2 AC is always good for a cleric, and your healing and most buffs are Swift spells, so you can be really great support while staying defensive. Alternatively, as a halfling cleric, you can use that action to hide behind your allies.
Don't forget that healing starts at 0 now, so your buddy could be at -1,493 HP (don't ask how), and a single Cure Minor Wounds would leave them at 1 HP.

Obviously: 20 Con, Level 1473

Which reminds me. Death is not -10 now, it is negative Con score plus level. And the dying rules have been changed. A dying character makes a DC 10 Constitution save for stabilization each turn or takes 1d6 damage; three successful saves are needed to stabilize (but don't need to be consecutive). A natural 20 automatically stabilizes and raises them to 1 HP. Alternatively another character can stabilize them with a DC 15 Wisdom check (First Aid skill applies), or automatically succeed if they have a healer's kit.

I played a Dwarven Cleric that could stand his own in combat and use "interposing shield" to guard others. I had a ball.

Like others have said, just don't be too brash especially when the party is outnumbered. Even kobolds or goblins are dangerous when they outnumber PCs.

Enjoy.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

I have played 3.5 and 4th edition. I'm playing a life giver cleric, which I probably should have mentioned. I think it is pretty interesting how much the god changes the cleric now.

About how low on health should a fellow part member be before I break out the Cure Wounds? In , 4.0 I had considerably more healing, and I rather avoided spelll casters in 3.5. 

Thanks for all the tips guys, I hope they help me keep the party alive!
About how low on health should a fellow part member be before I break out the Cure Wounds? In , 4.0 I had considerably more healing, and I rather avoided spelll casters in 3.5.

Really, it depends on the situation. If you're fighting a monster that deals lots of damage at once, you should make sure your allies stay at high enough health that one hit from the enemy won't kill them. One thing that can help you out is to also prepare some other support spells... preventative measures, as it were. Shield of Faith, for example, can save your ally from a lot more damage than a single Cure Wounds could heal, even with the bonus healing from Lifegiver. Also, don't forget that your Channel Divinity options include Restore Health, so that can save you some spell slots.
Don't screw with the DM.
Sign In to post comments