[DGM-ICD] Ætherling

54 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ætherling |
Creature - Shapeshifter (R)
: Exile ~. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
: ~ is unblockable this turn.
: ~ gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
: ~ gets -1/+1 until end of turn.
4/5
Yay, more unplayable blue jank.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

At least the art is chill

Oh how the times have changed.
Wizards ate my account that needed no sig, so I guess I need one now.

Oh how the times have changed.

While I agree morphling isn't good anymore, even morphling is significantly more playable than this.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I think he's deceptively good. He dodges both targeted and board wipe removal, is unblockable, and very easily pumpable.

I could very easily see him as a control deck win condition, thanks to that unblockablility. On top of that, you could also still be able to utilize your own board wipes and not even have to lose him. 
I actually really like this. Simply playing him with a Blue up means your opponent is going to need to waste 2 blue spells to get him off the table and after that he can swing in for a lot of damage. Not going to break standard or anything, but I think this will be seeing play.
I like how the article said "we dicided to kick morphling up a notch". Cause that appears to be their philosophy a lot in this set, just twweak something we already did. I'm not sure how competitive playable this is: Unblockable can get there, It dodges removal, more damage if you want it, 5 turn clock if you don't). But you kinda want to wait till 7 mana to play it (so it can dodge that removal spell), which is pretty slow. that said I think it's what they wanted: good for control decks to fight each other but not aggro, but it's suceptability to counterspell at that stage hurts it there. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I like 8/1 unblockables
It has Vigilence.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Assuming this survives, you'll be attacking with an unblockable 8/1 the turn after it enters the battlefield... And then you can exile it to untap and use as a blocker.

Also, the synergy with Evolve is not to go unnoticed.

No way. This is good in EDH. 
I could see this in Esper's sideboard.
As a card that is designed to win control mirrors, I think this will do just that.
This card is cool. I'm down with it.
Vigilance, unlockable, pump, butt pump. Pick these up if they are cheap, they'll find a home eventually. Or become a casual god like doubling season.
I figured they'd finish the cycle with a blackling and whiteling before making another blue one. Color me disappointed.
I figured they'd finish the cycle with a blackling and whiteling before making another blue one. Color me disappointed.

Nice Pun. I laughed.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I am in love with this.  A Morphling+ for slightly more is perfectly awesome in my book.
Meh... I kinda want this.

3DH4LIF3

I'm unsure if this has any applications in standard, beyond the control SB. That said, I quite like this card; I'm eager to see where it fits in.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I'm liking Superboy. I'm sure he'll find a home outside of casual and will be an absolute force in limited.
These guys haven't been good enough for Constructed for some time.

He's okay, but not a powerhouse other than in Limited.
These guys haven't been good enough for Constructed for some time. He's okay, but not a powerhouse other than in Limited.

I think he'll see sideboard play as like a 1 or 2 off for the awful grindy bant/esper mirrors after drownyard and wolf run rotate out.

For the most part, the control mainboards are going to want just a mix of Planeswalkers, Angel of Serenity, Prime Speaker Zegana, and Obzedat as their big dumb dudes, but there is something to honestly be said for this guy if you get to untap with him.

Why are you talking as if Control is going to be a strategy?
I think this has potential.

You know, like if tapping lands for mana turns out to be something players are going to want to do this set.

It will as long as Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict are legal.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

It will as long as Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict are legal.

imo, there's so much anti-Revelation stuff in this new set that it's going to see a downturn

not as much play, a drop in price, etc

considering now you have to worry about tapping out for a Revelation only to have your opponent flash in a dude and steal all of your card draw... or counter it and get a huge boost of mana next turn
Control is barely a viable strategy now; the best (read: only) Control decks are midrange decks relying on Blinked Thragtusks. All Control has is Sphinx's Revelation (Supreme Verdict doesn't beat Emissary draws). Which gets taken away by Notion Thief because a trump that causes you to risk outright losing the game is no trump at all.

The closest thing to Control for the foreseeable future is big midrange decks, with BGW or UGW bring the primary contenders.
Didn't Morphling become a lot weaker after damage on stack was removed? Anyway I'm not sure how much a 7 mana OK finisher is worth right now.

And I agree with MrIndigo, R&D has been trying as hard as it can to make standard an aggro/combo/midrange affair, with anything closely resambling control being a glorified midrange deck.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Better than Teysa at the very least.
And he survives dealing damage to Teysa's controller AND gets past Teysa AND deals more damage than Teysa. 
the first ability enables simic
the second enables dimir
the third has izzet flavours
the fourth has azorius flavours.

this is a very flavourful aetherling 
This is sexy, can never have enough Morphling variants.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
SOOO GOOOOD

but i can hardly understand that picture...that's one person (thing) right? with like 2 heads and 2 extra backwards arms?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
I'm not sure why people are complaining. This is a win condition for control at a bare minimum. An unblockable 4/5 (or, if you can afford it, 8/1) that's virtually unkillable? It dodges your own Supreme Verdict, their Murder, can't be targeted by Abrupt Decay, and has a butt large enough to withstand most Standard-legal burn spells.

I won't be the least bit surprised if I ever have my ass handed to me by this thing.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
This card would have been the most brokenest critter ever when damage stacked. 

This guy is a monster that is obviously built to replicate Morphling's best moments. 
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
this is filthy
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I'm not sure why people are complaining. This is a win condition for control at a bare minimum. An unblockable 4/5 (or, if you can afford it, 8/1) that's virtually unkillable? It dodges your own Supreme Verdict, their Murder, can't be targeted by Abrupt Decay, and has a butt large enough to withstand most Standard-legal burn spells. I won't be the least bit surprised if I ever have my ass handed to me by this thing.

Considering it has a toughness pump I think it can withstand ALL burn spells. Blasphemous Act, eat your heart out.
I think this guy will see play this guy can win a trade against thragtusk which is pretty huge, my only problem is if you pump this guy up spending a lot of mana then opponent tries to throw a charm at you and like ill feel blink to save him.
Using mana to force them to try and charm this is actuallly a good move for you.