[MMS] Mythic Rares Speculation

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
There are 15 mythic rare slots in Modern Masters, and we know one of them: Tarmogoyf.  Obviously nothing can top this in the secondary market.  The second most expensive card in Modern is Liliana of the Veil, but she doesn't qualify for the Eighth Edition through Alara Reborn.  Oh, there's also Thoughtseize, though I don't think that card really needs a mythic rarity.  Don't get me wrong, it's very powerful.  But it definitely suits the "rare" designation more than mythic.  Karn Liberated, the third most expensive planeswalker (and second most expensive Modern-legal 'walker) also doesn't fit the timeframe.  Planeswalkers have always been mythic rares (since mythic rare was invented as a rarity) and I'm sure we'll have a few in the set.  However, only two planeswalkers remain that see enough Modern play to really merit their inclusion: Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Jace, Memory Adept (the latter is debatable, even).  Jace 3.0 ALSO doesn't make the timeline for inclusion, leaving us with one planeswalker.  Sarkhan Vol has a fairly hefty pricetag for a planeswalker that sees zero play in any competitive format, and his inclusion will at least put more copies of him into circulation, and I could see either of the first two Ajanis seeing print, despite being inexpensive, just because they've seen play before.  

As for non-planeswalker cards, we're looking for cards that are splashy, cards that are blatantly powerful, and cards that are efficient to the point of unrivaled power (ala 'goyf).  The first two that come to mind, and in my opinion, the most likely for inclusion, are Sword of Light and Shadow and Sword of Fire and Ice.  Putting them at mythic rarity helps define the cycle, since three more swords were printed in Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, and New Phyrexia.  Since the latter three can't be included, reprints of the first two also don't require a reprint of the cycle, allowing for more inclusion in the set. 

Something else that fits well in mythic rarity are legendary creatures.  There are some powerful legends printed between 8th Edition and Alara Reborn, many of which never got a chance to be printed at mythic, some of which did.  I think this is also the territory WotC will traverse most thoroughly if they end up including too many cards that aren't played in Modern.  I think some of the most likely cards are Akroma, Angel of Wrath (which has been mythic once already), Grand Arbiter Augustin IV (which is the most expensive of the original Ravnica legends), Arcanis the Omnipotent, Doran, the Siege Tower (he even has a deck built around him, and he's been mythic once before), Erayo, Soratami Ascendant, Gaddock Teeg (highly playable hate bear), Isamaru, Hound of Konda (for playability), Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (possibly the most deserving legend on this list), Kira, Great Glass-Spinner, Memnarch, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Omnath, Locus of Mana, Oona, Queen of the Fae, Progenitus (would make sense since the Eldrazi can't be included), Reaper King, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Vendilion Clique (definitely in the three most likely, with Doran and Kiki-Jiki), Venser, Shaper Savant, and Zur the Enchanter.

I don't expect all of those to make it into the mythic rarity (much less into the set), so if I had to pick what I think is likely, our current mythic list looks like this:

1. Tarmogoyf
2. Sword of Light and Shadow
3. Sword of Fire and Ice
4. Elspeth, Knight-Errant
5. Sarkhan Vol
6. Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
7. Vendilion Clique
8. Doran, the Siege Tower
9. Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
10. TBD
11. TBD
12. TBD
13. TBD
14. TBD
15. TBD

With six remaining spots, I think it becomes important to make sure color and card type are well represented.  Among the legendary creatures, it's actually fairly diverse, so that's convenient.  At mythic, we're probably looking at cards a bit too absurd to pull often in draft, and I'm expecting at least one more planeswalker (though Ajani seems less liekly since Elspeth already covers white.  Maybe Jace Beleren).  There are three cards I haven't mentioned that I think are highly likely for mythic status: Dark Confidant, Knight of the Reliquary, and Mutavault.  So, what's left for these other two positions?  

1. Tarmogoyf
2. Sword of Light and Shadow
3. Sword of Fire and Ice
4. Elspeth, Knight-Errant
5. Sarkhan Vol
6. Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
7. Vendilion Clique
8. Doran, the Siege Tower
9. Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
10. Jace Beleren
11. Dark Confidant
12. Knight of the Reliquary
13. Mutavault
14. TBD
15. TBD 

We don't have any enchantments, instants or sorceries here.  Those are all pretty important.  We're also a little short on blue and, more importantly, red.  The problem with red mythics is that most red cards are used in efficient fashion.  Of course Lightning Bolt and Tarfire and Lava Spike will be included, but do we have any red sorceries or instants that really hit it home at mythic?  Blood Moon, Pyromancer's Swath, Magus of the Moon, maybe even Grim Lavamancer or Undying Flames.  I think Blood Moon does the best job of covering card types as well as color, though.  As for blue, Cryptic Command seems to me like the route to go.  I also think Instants and Sorceries could be better represented in this list, but the problem with that is, most of the good ones are at uncommon.  

 1. Tarmogoyf
2. Sword of Light and Shadow
3. Sword of Fire and Ice
4. Elspeth, Knight-Errant
5. Sarkhan Vol
6. Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
7. Vendilion Clique
8. Doran, the Siege Tower
9. Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
10. Jace Beleren
11. Dark Confidant
12. Knight of the Reliquary
13. Mutavault
14. Cryptic Command
15. Blood Moon

Thoughts?
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Makes sense. As Bob is all but confirmed for MM, I also like the idea of the swords being reprinted, as they're real all-stars.


I pretty much agree with this list.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Your list is pretty solid, I like it.
Does Baneslayer Angel fit the timeline? She was Mythic to begin with so would she see a reprint?
I'm pretty sure Baneslayer Angel was first printed in M10, which came out after Alara Reborn.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I think they'll be holding back an expensive card to be the poster boy for MM2.

I'm thinking Bob or V. Clique. 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I think they'll be holding back an expensive card to be the poster boy for MM2.

I'm thinking Bob or V. Clique. 



"Hey guys, guess what, we just unbanned Umezawa's Jitte. But it's okay, because we're making a Modern Masters 2 and it'll be right in there. Isn't that just lucky?!"
This is a pretty solid list of guesses, for sure.

One thing that sticks out to me though, is Blood Moon really doesn't feel mythic, perhaps? 
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is EDH garbage. Remove it from your list. 
This is a pretty solid list of guesses, for sure.

One thing that sticks out to me though, is Blood Moon really doesn't feel mythic, perhaps? 



I agree, but I can't think of any red cards that fit the mythic rarity better. 

Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is EDH garbage. Remove it from your list.



I play it in my modern deck, but okay.  What legendary creature (or card in general) do you think would make more sense in its place? 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I am compelled to point out that Aether Spellbomb is not a card I expected to be reprinted at all.  Clearly for Limited purposes.  At this point, two of our three confirmed cards are included for Limited's sake, so I have to wonder how much of the set is designed purely with draft in mind, and how much of it actually needs a reprint due to its Modern playability.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
They may very well have locked in Aether Spellbomb for its use in the Eggs deck (before the decision was made to ban a lynchpin card of the Eggs deck from Modern).


IE, it is a card that had an impact in a major Modern constructed deck - even if that deck is now neutered.  Which makes it to me not a card you can write off as being 'for limited'.
IE, it is a card that had an impact in a major Modern constructed deck



But... it didn't?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
IE, it is a card that had an impact in a major Modern constructed deck



But... it didn't?



I have to agree.  While spellbombs were common in Eggs, it was mostly Pyrite Spellbomb.  Considering how combo heavy the environment is, and was, I don't know of any Eggs decks using Aether Spellbomb.  Maybe in the side for Jund, but aside from that, it was actually pretty unnecessary.  Of the three Eggs players in my meta, none of them used it.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Decent list but there are 2 I strongly disagree with; I don't see Blood Moon or Mutavault as MR.  Blood Moon just doesn't feel Mythic and Wizards seems to avoid printing lands at Mythic level (ignoring the ****ing terrible Maze's End from the ****ing terrible Dragon's Maze, lol).

As I said though, the rest looks decent. 
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is EDH garbage. Remove it from your list. 


I think that if the meta turns away from fast decks, accel in those colors, especially with a control element, seems decent.  I would say something about format snobbery, but, frankly this is MODERN masters, so I would sound stupid.

They are not going to put something at mythic rare because its legendary.

While I can see any of those cards being put into MM, the ones I think that would go at mythic are the swords and the planeswalkers.

Blood Moon just doesn't seem like it would be at mythic.

Bob - snapcaster was at rare, and solumn they reprinted at rare

Knight of the Reliquary was printed at rare in a set that had mythic rares

Cryptic - I hope this gets reprinted, but i hope its not mythic

The only other ones I think could be considered for the rarity jump might be doran because of how he just changes everything going on, then also Grand Arbiter Augustin IV but more so because of where the council that replaced him is printed.

I like your pick for planeswalkers.  I might throw in the rw Ajani too.

Hopefully they have a mix of expensive chase mythics and some dreg mythics, like normal.  Also hope a lot of those expensive chase cards are at rare so they get more in circulation.
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV is EDH garbage. Remove it from your list. 



About half the cards in MM will be garbage for modern players.
IE, it is a card that had an impact in a major Modern constructed deck



But... it didn't?



I have to agree.  While spellbombs were common in Eggs, it was mostly Pyrite Spellbomb.  Considering how combo heavy the environment is, and was, I don't know of any Eggs decks using Aether Spellbomb.  Maybe in the side for Jund, but aside from that, it was actually pretty unnecessary.  Of the three Eggs players in my meta, none of them used it.




In my defense, it has been used in Pro Tour decks (Garret Young @ Knoxville 4/1/12 finished in the top-8) - though I admit I probably got Aether Vial and Pyrite Spellbomb crossed up in my brain as cards I hed seen aplenty in decklists.
In my defense, it has been used in Pro Tour decks (Garret Young @ Knoxville 4/1/12 finished in the top-8)



As a one-of in the sideboard.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
If only I hadn't already admitted my error so you could stop piling on.
I'm not sure Vendilion Clique feels like a Mythic. Oona could pass for one.

The way I look at it, MMS will be supporting specific themes (Dredge, Faeries, and Storm have all been mentioned, Affinity also seems likely) and the set will focus on those themes in order to function coherently. I suspect this will extend to the Mythics as well. Since artifacts are likely to play a noticeable role in MMS Limited, I foresee Tezzeret the Seeker making it in as one of the Mythics, as well as Arcbound Ravager possibly. They may opt for a nice symmetric distribution granting two mythics to each color and five to artifacts.

Though Splinter Twin is a popular archetype, I don't think Kiki-Jiki will see print in MMS because half of that archetype's important cards (Deceiver Exarch and Splinter Twin itself) are outside MMS' scope. Pestermite however will likely see print because it also fits into a Faeries deck.

I also suspect that each color will get one or two mechanics or themes to create the feel of a coherent set.

White - Eggs
Blue - Affinity, Faeries
Black - Dredge, Faeries
Red - Affinity, Storm
Green - Dredge

Storm is dead, eggs is dead, the good cards for dredge are banned, same with Faeries, and affinity is a tier 2 deck that is one of the hardest decks to play in the format making it bad for people new to modern. I hope all of these strong modern themes are supported too. 
I'm not sure Vendilion Clique feels like a Mythic. Oona could pass for one.


Meh, Clique only doesn't feel like a mythic because everyone always forgets that it's legendary. Though, in terms of opening good boxes, I really hope it won't be mythic.

If only I hadn't already admitted my error so you could stop piling on.


You admitted, then tried to continued to defend your point. There is completely a dichotomy of the two.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
The mythic rarity is the only rarity that can have cards thrown into it regardless of the Limited Archetypes. Also, Kiki's ability, while very much so a combo piece, also happens to be very powerful in a Limited format, where being able to reuse ETB and death triggers can easily swing the game. He's played in like 4+ high tier combo decks, including Splinter Twin, Kikipod, and in Legacy he saw play in Cephalid Breakfast. The odds of him not being included are slim to none, and he's too powerful to be at a lower rarity in a draftable format.

Blood Moon, Cryptic Command, and a couple others I could see at rare, but not Kiki. Also, I think it's very unlikely we'll see Eggs as an archetype. Neither Faith's Reward or Second Sunrise will be in MMS. Kinda inconvenient.

You're definitely right about Arcbound Ravager though. If I were to revise my list, I'd definitely add it.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Removed a number of posts due to personal attacks and mudslinging.

Let's keep it civil.

company.wizards.com/conduct 
They may very well have locked in Aether Spellbomb for its use in the Eggs deck (before the decision was made to ban a lynchpin card of the Eggs deck from Modern).


IE, it is a card that had an impact in a major Modern constructed deck - even if that deck is now neutered.  Which makes it to me not a card you can write off as being 'for limited'.


It could be Pyrite Spellbomb made the cut because of eggs, then they included the entire cycle for limited. It would be kinda weird to only have one spell bomb in the set.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
They may very well have locked in Aether Spellbomb for its use in the Eggs deck (before the decision was made to ban a lynchpin card of the Eggs deck from Modern).


IE, it is a card that had an impact in a major Modern constructed deck - even if that deck is now neutered.  Which makes it to me not a card you can write off as being 'for limited'.


It could be Pyrite Spellbomb made the cut because of eggs, then they included the entire cycle for limited. It would be kinda weird to only have one spell bomb in the set.



I wish it were possible for Wizards to mix and match Spellbombs from both cycles.  Regardless, I wouldn't mind this too much.  I think there are plenty of more important common artifacts to include, even from Mirrodin block, but we'll see.  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Dark Confidant confirmed at mythic.  13 slots remain, and even though Bob was the easiest to predict from my list, I'm still happy I'm that much closer to solid guesswork.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Given the precedent set, the Darksteel Swords are likely to be mythic rares, and Arcbound Ravager possibly as well.