I Want My Jester

Back in Dragon 60 April 1982 they made the Jester class. I want my Jester back for the following reasons.

1. It is a strong archetype in fantasy and heroic literature. See Game of Thrones, even Joffrey has a Jester.

2. It is a beloved and classic class loved by tens of people.

3. D&DN is supposed to be inclusive. They should include the Jester in the core books as a nod to AD&D.

4. Don't tell me how to play, if you do not like the Jester you do not have to use it.

5. You can rename a fighter to be a Jester if you like. King Arthur, Charlmagne and Caeser were all Jesters. So was Babe Ruth, Napoleon and Schliemann.

I'M still waiting for the smurfs to be a playable race
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
Wasn't the Jester presented as an NPC only class? How'd you get your DM to let you play one?

Not that I would mind one or anything. I think it could be fun.  

(Yes, I know this is a sarcastic thread making fun of people who want Warlords.)
The Jester was one of my favorite bard kits, from 2E. Even the 3E Jester was a lot of fun.
The metagame is not the game.
The Jester was never a core PHB PC class in any edition of DND.  The Warlord was.  That makes a big difference.

-Polaris
Wasn't the Jester presented as an NPC only class? How'd you get your DM to let you play one?

Not that I would mind one or anything. I think it could be fun.  

(Yes, I know this is a sarcastic thread making fun of people who want Warlords.)

Pizza.
The Jester was one of my favorite bard kits, from 2E. Even the 3E Jester was a lot of fun.

IIRC the 2e Jester kit was also broken.

-Polaris  

Yes, the Jester was an NPC class.

But sure.  If there is enough interest in the class let it be made.  There seems to be a stong drive for Warlord.  Get enough desire for the Jester and we should have it too.

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Yes, the Jester was an NPC class.

But sure.  If there is enough interest in the class let it be made.  There seems to be a stong drive for Warlord.  Get enough desire for the Jester and we should have it too.

Except there really isn't and I don't see much conceptual class design space between Jester and Bard anyways.  By contrast Warlord was a primary PC class with a strong following in at least one major edition of DND.  That's a very different thing.

I note in passing that IMHO this may be a bit of a troll thread designed to denigrate those that want Warlords in Next.  I can't say that for certain, but it has the hallmarks.

-Polaris    
The Jester sounds fun, let them include it. D&D is a class-based game so they might as well strongly support that aspect.
The Jester sounds fun, let them include it. D&D is a class-based game so they might as well strongly support that aspect.

I am not opposed per se, but if you included every class and class varient that has ever appeared in DnD or Dragon (or elsewhere) for DnD over the past fourty years, you'd fill a Brooklyn sized telephone dirrectory with that alone.

I would say that included classes (at least at first....with more options coming perhaps later) should be those that appeared in the PHB of prior editions of DND and have a strong following.  What that means quantatively would be up to the Devs.

-Polaris     
I don't see why not.  I want my coward too.

What abilities do jesters have?
(besides otto's irrisistable laughter/dance).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I am not opposed per se, but if you included every class and class varient that has ever appeared in DnD or Dragon (or elsewhere) for DnD over the past fourty years, you'd fill a Brooklyn sized telephone dirrectory with that alone.

I would say that included classes (at least at first....with more options coming perhaps later) should be those that appeared in the PHB of prior editions of DND and have a strong following.  What that means quantatively would be up to the Devs.

-Polaris     

Perhaps not in the PHB.

But in a splat book, why not?

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Back in Dragon 60 April 1982 they made the Jester class. I want my Jester back for the following reasons.

1. It is a strong archetype in fantasy and heroic literature. See Game of Thrones, even Joffrey has a Jester.

3. D&DN is supposed to be inclusive. They should include the Jester in the core books as a nod to AD&D.

4. Don't tell me how to play, if you do not like the Jester you do not have to use it.

5. You can rename a fighter to be a Jester if you like. King Arthur, Charlmagne and Caeser were all Jesters. So was Babe Ruth, Napoleon and Schliemann.

1. No more sense than any other, but does have a place.
2. Never played the one your talking about so I'm not one of them.
3. Next be inclusive?? Now that is a laugh. Look at all the crap the warlord is getting.
4. Same for the warlord, psion, and any other class.
5. Cleric can be renamed to a wizard that found religion, rogue renamed to the fighter who is more agile, and so on.

-Polaris     

Perhaps not in the PHB.

But in a splat book, why not?

My only qualm (and it's really a very minor one), is I personally don't see much design space (at least IMHO not enough to design a class) between the Jester and the Bard.  However, as a splat, sure.  *shrug* To each their own.

-Polaris
My only qualm (and it's really a very minor one), is I personally don't see much design space (at least IMHO not enough to design a class) between the Jester and the Bard.  However, as a splat, sure.  *shrug* To each their own.

-Polaris

I imagine it would be a bard build/kit/sub-class like it origionally was.

But with a focus more on acrobatics and inspiring people when you get hit.

guides
Power
my builds

Wouldn't it merely be a Bard + RP?

Some classes don't have (or need) mechanics and skill choice + RP is more than enough to support their concept.

Only classes that cannot be adequately represented through the available options deserve to be classes (or even subclasses).
Wouldn't it merely be a Bard + RP?

Some classes don't have (or need) mechanics and skill choice + RP is more than enough to support their concept.

Only classes that cannot be adequately represented through the available options deserve to be classes (or even subclasses).

Well back in 1e the bard was some weird prestige class that was part fighter, theif, and druid (of all things) powers.

The Jester was almost a nerfed bard.

I want the Warjester.
He leads people into battle, but only if battle occurs inside the king's court.
Also, he can heal with jokes. He makes people laugh so they feel better and regain HP! 

While we are adding new core classes.  Let's go back to my favorite class.  The Idiot class from dragon magazine number 3.  I think it would go great with the Coward class on another thread.
Well, since it got broguht up, maybe someone can answer a question I asked last time the Jester was discussed.

Exactly what unique class features does the Jester have?(last time I asked this I just got insulted a lot and my question didn't really get answered beyond "Look it up yourself.")
I want the Sillywalker (Jester subclass).

I just said something and you just read it. Sorry about that.

I want the Sillywalker (Jester subclass).

The mime should be a jester Kit too
how much damage does a pretend-greatsword does ? 
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
I support this thread.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

What abilities do jesters have?
(besides otto's irrisistable laughter/dance).

Well, since it got broguht up, maybe someone can answer a question I asked last time the Jester was discussed.

Exactly what unique class features does the Jester have?(last time I asked this I just got insulted a lot and my question didn't really get answered beyond "Look it up yourself.")

www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_(3.5e_Class)
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" href="http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_" title="http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_" target="_blank" contenteditable="true">www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_(3.5e_Class)

"

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page."

:|

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

Not an insider, can't read article.

Edit: this is the Dragon 60 version of the Jester. 

* new language every odd level
* +1 init
* +1 to saves (using the thief table)
* Climb walls
* Pick Pockets
* Raise/Lower Morale
* Immune to insanity
* Catch Objects (chance to catch things like darts being thrown past them)
* Cast limited selection of spells
* Ventriloquism ability

Really, they aren't much different than the bard, and actually seem to match the 2e bard more than the 1e bard does

*Dusting off my Complete Bard's Handbook*

This is from 2ed's Jester kit:

Fool's Luck: +1 on basically every roll you make (except character creation rolls, such as ability and HD), and +1 on AC.

Jesting: works like a taunt. Target who fails a save forfeits reasonable strategy and wants to hit the jester badly so angry he is with the humiliating jokes.

Joking: can be used to make the reaction of NPCs more favorable, and to counter fear effects.

Jester's Mind: imune to insanity effects. Also a bonus on saves vs Enchantment/Charm based on level. Also any attempt to read the jester's mind may result in a confusion effect on the mind-reader.
links in the DND wiki sucks, the part in parenthesis is supposed to be in the adress bar
 Jester
There's lots of potential options for a jester class.

A jester taunts mocks opponents serving as a ranged debuffer. Penalizing monsters, getting them to attack him instead of the rest of the party. And possibly some crowd control paralyzing foes with rage or laughter.
As they tumble and dodge they could be a lightly armoured Dexterous defender class. They get people to attack them, but dodge away.
Or they could be a buffing class, aiding allies with the healing power of laughter.
Plus they could totally be a damaging class, using cutting remarks to inflict emotional wounds that scar an enemy. 

Oh, we should totally start a "pictures of jesters" thread to emphasize how large of a role this archetype plays in fantasy.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" href="http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_" title="http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_" target="_blank" contenteditable="true">www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Jester_(3.5e_Class)

"

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this pagE.

Weird, it didn't treat the full link as a URL. Fixed.

There's lots of potential options for a jester class.

A jester taunts mocks opponents serving as a ranged debuffer. Penalizing monsters, getting them to attack him instead of the rest of the party. And possibly some crowd control paralyzing foes with rage or laughter.
As they tumble and dodge they could be a lightly armoured Dexterous defender class. They get people to attack them, but dodge away.
Or they could be a buffing class, aiding allies with the healing power of laughter.
Plus they could totally be a damaging class, using cutting remarks to inflict emotional wounds that scar an enemy. 

Oh, we should totally start a "pictures of jesters" thread to emphasize how large of a role this archetype plays in fantasy.

Can we use your avatar?

I heard Washington was a Jester. 

"

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this pagE.

Weird, it didn't treat the full link as a URL. Fixed.

Ok, I can see it now, thanks.
So taunt (feat)
Distract (rogue ability).
Some illusion spells.

Anything else? 

guides
Power
my builds

I can't play a game that has the possibility of a Jester as a playable class.  It ruins my immersion to imagine that someone might have non-magical laughter.  Personally, I think the entire concept of a martial class being able to make people laugh breaks my immersion -- in the real world, people don't laugh on command. Saying that the Jester would make a joke and people would laugh is too narritivist -- I prefer the -1th edition where we rolled on a random Joke Table. 

I refuse to play an edition that would include the Jester as a player character.

There, now we've had our fair and balanced mocking, can we get back to compromises on the warlord that would make everyone happy?     Or is fighting better than solving problems.
So taunt (feat)
Distract (rogue ability).
Some illusion spells.

Anything else? 

It's a simple fix to remove that feat and make it a class feature.

They can have some juggling and tumbling. Catching and throwing items (especially pies). The ability to be honest to a king. Some singing and storytelling. Some inborn badness and the wisdom that comes with it. Their innate madness translates as resistance to charms and enchantment. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheJ...

The Warlord has proven more popular than other classes already included in Next in every poll on the subject run on every forum since the beginning of the playtest.

Unless your Jester can do the same this is just more of the same tired trolling which the OP has already used to shut down discussion of things they don't like by repeatedly baiting in other threads. 

I'm sure the 5e version of the class could make an appearance in some future April issue of Dragon.  Until then, you can likely get pretty close with a Bard (the Bard was in a PH1, so should be "in" the core for 5e).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

this is just more of the same tired trolling which the OP has already used to shut down discussion of things they don't like by repeatedly baiting in other threads. 

Exactly this.
Hey, we can certainly create a suite of ability options for the Rogue that is based on trickery, taunting and tomfoolery.

Look at the Fighter. He's on a great start with his leadership options. With some refinement, he has the ability to be incredible. How inspiring!

Assassins, Illusionists, and Specialty Priests have all been in PHB 1s. But they are not being included as separate classes. Does anyone know why? I believe it is because there is ample room for them to be faithfully reinterpreted by the Schemes (or whatever they end up calling them), Traditions, and Deities of the Rogue, Wizard and Cleric, respectively.

...in my opinion.