Another new player starting at paragon level - defender halfling warrior

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone! 

You helped a fellow gamer with his rogue so well. I was wondering if you would also look over mine .

I've just recently gotten into D&D and played my first game last weekend at a meetup group!
I've been invited to a new campaign that's just beginning which is perfect as I didn't really want to play half way through a story! The only problem is the DM doesn't really want new players to slow it down so we have to do our homework so we can sort of hit the ground running. Especially as the campaign begins at level 12.

So I've been building my first character... I just wanted to make sure it was half decent so I don't take it in and embarass myself and thought you guys could help me 

Some things to keep in mind : I'm playing a halfling for RP, my goal is to be an absolute troll to monsters to the point the dm wants to throw her dice out the window . I'm not concerned much if at all with damage. all about control, knockdowns, slows and pushes, high hit to land all that and high ac/health to survive. As much movement after as i can.

Here goes: (edited to update sheet as advised)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Reen the Bold (Brand), level 12
Halfling, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Kensei
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: One-handed Weapon Talent
Kensei Focus Option: Kensei Focus Rapier
Halfling - Avandra's Kiss (Acrobatics class skill)
Theme: Mercenary

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 18, DEX 18, INT 11, WIS 11, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 15, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 8

AC: 31 Fort: 24 Ref: 23 Will: 17
HP: 109 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Athletics +12, Intimidate +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +6, Heal +6, History +6, Insight +6, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +6, Stealth +6, Streetwise +7, Thievery +8

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike
Halfling Racial Power: Second Chance
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Footwork Lure
Fighter Attack 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter Attack 1: Bash and Pinion
Fighter Attack 1: Lasting Threat
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Fighter Attack 3: Immediate Vengeance
Fighter Attack 5: Pinning Smash
Fighter Attack 5: Bedeviling Assault
Fighter Utility 6: Battle Awareness
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It
Athletics Utility 10: Incredible Stride
Kensei Attack 11: Masterstroke
Kensei Utility 12: Ultimate Parry

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Plate
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Light blade)
Level 4: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Deadly Draw
Level 8: Shield Push
Level 10: Toughness
Level 11: Hindering Shield
Level 12: Staggering Challenge

ITEMS
Ricochet Shield Heavy Shield x1
Adventurer's Kit
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Bag of Holding
Gauntlets of the Ram x1
Circlet of Second Chances x1
Belt of the Flanker's Bane x1
Window of Escape
Bloodiron Plate Armor +3 x1
Boots of Adept Charging x1
Farslayer Rapier +3 x1
====== End ======

ITEMS
Farslayer Short sword +3, Ricochet Shield Heavy Shield (paragon tier), Adventurer's Kit, Lucky Charm +1, Bag of Holding (heroic tier), Gauntlets of the Ram (heroic tier), Circlet of Second Chances (heroic tier), Belt of the Flanker's Bane (heroic tier), Window of Escape (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier), Bloodiron Scale Armor +3

item powers: farslayer allows me to melee hit as standard attack anything in 5 squares (for some ranged marking that will always hit), gauntlets of the ramm add 1 square to anything i push, second chance circlet- RP and reroll (daily). same for lucky charm. belt of flankers bane means i slide anything flanking me 2 squares to me..

Thanks in advance for any advice 

I would focus more on dex over con since you won't be getting that much out of con.  Maybe 20 str/18 dex at level 12.  That will boost your reflex defense and inititative at the cost of a surge and 2 hitpoints.

It doesn't look like you have any sort of multiclass feat.  I would switch out something for that, probably toughness since you probabaly won't have to worry about being that tough.  Even something as simple as mc monk with monastic disciple could give a 1/encounter flurry of blows that adds some interesting control options like an automatic pull/slide/immobilize.  And multiclassing usually gives you another skill as well which helps fighters a lot.

And rapier is better than short sword for you.  It won't be much more damage, but it will be a little more.  Short sword is good an offhand weapon, but you don't need that.
Hi thanks for answering!

For some reason whenever i switched feats etc to get rapier- i lost +1 to hit ie from 20 down to 19. i checked and rechecked and have no idea how or why, but i get 1 more +hit when using light sword over rapier :S. and +hit for me > then possible +2 dmg. Unless there is something i am missing.

RP wise, my DM is going to include "something" in the future allowing me to switch to a paladin as part of the greater campain (my backstory is what drove that) so while i really think "meh" about toughness, i dont really want to go multiclass untill the pala story RP side of things is resolved :S.

I definately see your point on dex, ill adjust it and see if i still keep my powers etc. 
Its probably because you still have short sword for your kensei option.  Switch that to rapier and it should work.

If you want paladin mc you will need to switch your stats around some.
Its probably because you still have short sword for your kensei option.  Switch that to rapier and it should work.

If you want paladin mc you will need to switch your stats around some.

nod- i was thinking more like a complete reroll of ability scores due some divine intervention- and i wont necc take the option. wont be multi class will be a houseruled thingy i guess. I was indeed the kensai feat thing :thank you .
Weapon Expertise (Light blade) is obsolete, you would want to take Light Blade Expertise, which gives the exact same scaling bonus to hit plus a scaling bonus to damage when you have CA
Bash and Pinion requires a free hand, which means you can't use it while using a heavy shield.

And speaking of shield, consider using Iron Armbands of Power instead of a magic shield. It's up to you, of course, but personally I prefer an always-on damage bonus over a 1/day effect that I may or may not remember to use.
Weapon Expertise (Light blade) is obsolete, you would want to take Light Blade Expertise, which gives the exact same scaling bonus to hit plus a scaling bonus to damage when you have CA

thanks changed it!

Bash and Pinion requires a free hand, which means you can't use it while using a heavy shield.

And speaking of shield, consider using Iron Armbands of Power instead of a magic shield. It's up to you, of course, but personally I prefer an always-on damage bonus over a 1/day effect that I may or may not remember to use.

will look into these and ajust char sheet- thank you also

I will repeat my advice to look for a 1st level game, or at least something lower, but it is better than nothing.
     I hear opinions the game is best in the high heroic, and it is definitely difficult for the novice to start at the higher levels.  It is easy to eaggerate this of course, but a lower level game is likely better, the problem being to find one.

I will note that a tank does need to hit hard enough that the monsters don't just ignore him.  An AC of 40 doesn't do much good if nobody swings at it, and if your critical is only 10 hp, you will just be a piece of blocking terrain.  So you will want defenses that are tough, but not making your DM throw dice out the window, conbined with attacks serious enough to get the attention of the foes.  Sorry, I can't give you any target figures, but I would think Will at 17 is distinctly too low, and if you create a PC that annoys the DM, you can expect a fair number of will attacks.
     I will repeat my advice to look for a 1st level game, or at least something lower, but it is better than nothing.
     I hear opinions the game is best in the high heroic, and it is definitely difficult for the novice to start at the higher levels.  It is easy to eaggerate this of course, but a lower level game is likely better, the problem being to find one.

There's always D&D Encounters.  This is the first season that isn't starting at 1st, though (you start at 3rd), so not timely... ;(

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!