Macetail's Rage and Raging Reach: Are they compatible?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I've been messing around with the character builder, and I came upon a question that I wasn't sure about:

Does Macetail's Rage work with Raging Reach?

Macetail's Rage:
Close Burst 1
Keywords: Primal, Rage, Weapon (currently 2h longspear)

Raging Reach:
The builder itself says, "When wielding a two-handed reach weapon, you deal extra damage equal to Constitution modifier with rage strike against targets that are 2 squares away."
The Character sheet printed from the builder says, "Deal Con modifier extra damage with rage strike using two-handed reach weapon."

As you can see, the two descriptions differ a bit.  Seems to me that it does NOT work since Macetail's is only burst 1, and the feat says 2 squares.  If anyone can shed some insight to this confusion, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks
Short answer: No, but not because of why you think.

Longer Answer:
Raging Reach only affects the Rage Strike power that you get at 5th level as a Barbaian, although it isn't as clear as it could be because they didn't capitalize "Rage Strike" in the text.   It does NOT give you bonus damage when using Macetail's Rage or any other daily rage power.

Basically, there's no reason to taking Raging Strike before 5th level, and even then there are probably better feats out there.  Rage Strike only ever gives you a hit against one target, once a day (unless you take the Calm Fury paragon path), so the feat is giving you +Con Modifer damage once a day, and only if you don't miss.  There is a feat to make Rage Strike a burst 1 if you reduce the damage (Explosive Rage Strike), but then the Raging Reach benefit doesn't apply because no target is two squares away.

it says you deal extra damage to the target if it is 2 squares away,  but with Macetail's Rage, you can only target someone who is 1 burst away.

Ive never used these moves, and non of my players have them, so i could be wrong

it says you deal extra damage to the target if it is 2 squares away,  but with Macetail's Rage, you can only target someone who is 1 burst away.

Ive never used these moves, and non of my players have them, so i could be wrong

No, that doesn't matter at all because Raging Reach has no effect on Macetail's Rage anyway as it is not Rage Strike.  If you were to take a different level 1 rage power such as Bloodhunt Rage which does have melee weapon as its range, Raging Reach still wouldn't apply.

Raging Reach affects ONLY the Rage Strike power.  If you use Macetail's Rage to activate Rage Strike, it works just fine because the range of Rage Strike is "melee weapon"