Short encounter end-boss ideas for level 7 adventure

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, a newbie DM here.
I'm currently making few short encounters to help me get some experiences in DMing,
and I'd like to get some opinions and criticism.

These bosses are designed for 4-PCs.
What I did, is basically turned a level 7 player character into boss characters.

Please let me know what you think and how I could make improvements.

The Sorcerer-Witch

Initiative +6       Senses Perception +4

Lightning Aura aura 1; activate when the sorcerer is blooded. Each creature that begins a turn or enters a square adjacent to the sorcerer takes 5 lightning damage.

HP 216; Bloodied 108

AC 21; Fortitude 19, Reflex 19, Will 21

Saving Throws +2

Speed 6

Action Point 2

Resist 5 Thunder, 5 Lightning

Melee Basic (standard; at-will) Weapon

Melee 1; +11 vs AC; 1d8 + 1 damage

Lightning Strike (standard; at-will) Lightning

Ranged 10; +11 vs Reflex; 2d8 + 5 lightning damage

Thundering Roar (standard; at-will) Thunder

Close burst 3; +10 vs Fortitude; 2d6 + 5 thunder damage

Shocking Magnetism (standard; daily) Lightning

The sorcerer makes a separate attack against 2 different targets:

Ranged 10; +10 vs Reflex; 3d8 + 5 lightning damage, and pulls the target up to 3 squares.

Dancing Lightning (standard; encounter) Lightning

Ranged 10; +11 vs Reflex; 3d10 + 5 lightning damage, and each creature adjacent to the target takes 10 thunder damage

Lightning Shift (move; encounter)

The sorcerer shifts her speed and ignores difficult terrain during the shift.

Spatial Trip (move; encounter)

The sorcerer teleports a number of squares equal to half her speed.

Spark Form (immediate reaction; encounter) Lightning

When the sorcerer becomes bloodied, she shifts her speed +8. During the shift, she can move through enemies’ spaces. When she leaves any creature’s space, make the following attack against that creature. She can make the attack against a creature only once.

Melee 1; +10 vs Reflex; 3d8 + 5 lightning damage

Also, one more.

Ghost-Conqueror possessing a poor sod

Initiative +6       Senses Perception +4

HP 288; Bloodied 144

AC 23; Fortitude 21, Reflex 19, Will 19

Saving Throws +5

Speed 5

Action Point 2

Vulnerable 5 to all when he is in his demon form

Melee Basic (standard; at-will)

+14 vs AC; 2d6 + 6 damage and push the target 1 square.

Knockdown Assault (standard; at-will)

+12 VS Fortitude; Deal 7 damage and knock the target prone.

Grappling Strike (standard; at-will)

+14 vs AC; 1d8 + 6 damage and grab the target. Grab ends at the end of his next turn.

Parry and Riposte (immediate reaction; at-will)

+14 vs AC; When an enemy misses you with a melee attack, deal 2d6 + 6 damage.

Come and Get It (standard; encounter)

Close Burst 3; +12 vs Will; He pulls the target up to 2 squares, but only if it can end the pull adjacent to him. If the target is adjacent to you after the pull, it takes 2d8 + 6 damage.

Driving Attack (standard; daily)

+14 vs AC; 2d8 + 6 damage and push the target 1 square, then shift into a square the target vacated and make a secondary attack. +12 vs Fortitude; 1d8 + 6 damage and push the target 2 squares and knock it prone.

He has +2 AC against opportunity attacks.

Forceful Drag (move; encounter)

He must have a creature grabbed.

He moves his speed with the creature grabbed and does not provoke opportunity attack. At the end of the move, he can end the grab to knock the creature prone.

When he becomes bloodied, he transforms into a demon. He will get +2 bonuses to his attack rolls, but -2 penalties to his defenses.

Claw (standard ; at-will)

+16 vs AC; 2d8 + 6 damage

Grab (standard; at-will)

+14 vs Reflex; 2d6 + 6 damage and the target is grabbed.

Eviscerate (minor ; at-will)

Targets a grabbed creature; no attack roll; 6 damage.

Your bosses look great to me. Are they supposed to be Elites or Solos? (ie do you intend to use a single one of these, with perhaps a few token minions and some interesting dangerous terrain to challenge your party, or are you using them together? In either case, you may need to adjust your saving throw bonuses (+2 for Elites, +5 for Solos) and hp (Solo at level 7 should have c. 312hp). You might also want to increase their perception a wee bit too, as otherwise level 7 PC rogues will be able to hide from them automatically without even bothering to roll.

Assuming these are solos, they both need action recovery abilities - for example automatically ending all dazing, stunning or dominating at the end of its turn.

The Sorcerer Witch suffers from not very interesting attacks, assuming she is a solo. If she is intended a challenge a party of four, I recommend you allow her to attack THREE PCs each round until she is bloodied, and thereafter ALL FOUR PCs. You can do this in several ways - for example by making Lightning Strike target 3 or 4 targets and making Shocking Strike and Dancing Lightning at wills. Otherwise the aura, move powers, damage and to hit numbers are all perfect.

The Ghost-Conquerer is a great concept but has VERY HIGH attack bonuses. Normal attack bonuses at level 7 are +12 vs AC and +10 vs other defences. When bloodied, this monster is getting +16 vs AC and +14 vs other defences, which is quite high but is not the end of the world. The main issue here is the same as the Sorcerer Witch - a solo boss should challenge all four of your PCs each round. In the pre-bloodied state, ways of achieving this are to make Come and Get it an at-will and increase its range to burst 5, and make Driving Assault an at-will, and make forceful grab an at-will, and give him an additional power to move/attack/move/attack/move/attack a few times: he should be attacking two PCs hard or three PCs moderately each round. When he is bloodied, he needs to be much more threatening than your demon as written: at the moment he can only use claw or grab each round - he is about as threatening as a minion. You can fix this by giving him a special power such as 'when bloodied, this solo boss takes a full round at the end of each PC turn, thus acting four times each round'. Now it becomes a bit more of a threat.

Consider listing which edition you use. Consider "Bi-formism" Many monsters like Minotaurs and Medusas were transformed humans in Greek Mythology. A monster that can assume the form of a normal human should be worth a +1 to CR. Allows for a subtle boss and more elaborate plots?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

Great suggestions. Thanks :D
I'm currently using 4th edition rules, and indeed they are meant to be solos.

I can make the Ghost-Conqueror more menacing, as players will get an extended rest
but don't want to give the Sorceror-Witch too much power (gonna buff her but not too much)
since they'll be having 2-3 battles before them and it might result in TPK.
I want to make these battles challenging, but not 'OMG That was f*****g brutal! TPK!!! TPK!!!'

OR...I could make the Witch elite instead of solo,
and add few minion type monsters she summons.

A monster that can assume the form of a normal human should be worth a +1 to CR.

What does CR mean?

Also, I want to make my players fight mirror-images of themselves.
Currently, the mirror-images have exact setup
except they get no benefits from magic items,
no healings from cleric, and no dailies.
Will this be challenging enough or walk in the park while eating a cake?
In some iterations of the game CR stands for Challenge Rating. For instance a CR of 4 would be a monster who can challenge a party of 4th level characters. The higher the CR the less often the monster gets used. You will meet more kobolds(CR 1/3) than gargantuan wyrms(CR 23). Consider asking the players to give you duplicate character sheets. This way you have a copy for players who forget theirs and you can run a pretend battle to see if the pcs will die ?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.