Breakout Deck after DragonMaze: Predictions!

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know we don't have all the spoilers around but let's make a prediction thread. Please state why you feel the deck will breakout after DragonMaze.

Prediction: UWR Aggro

Ral Zarek + Geist of Saint Traft just seems sick. I think Turn//Burn along side the power of UWR right now with more aggressive cards like Boros Reckoner and Boros Charm will make it an efficient killing machine.  
I personally think the could be anti-control sideboards for RW decks that composed of Tajic, blade of the legion combined with assemble the legion.
At least, thats what i plan on doing as the control decks at my lgs run supreme verdict and/or bonfire of the damned.
I have yet to see anything that will unseat Junk.

(at)MrEnglish22

Junk will now have multiple tier 1 builds besides reanimator. I'm plotting a junk zoo now.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Ok, nagging question. What is Junk? I've tried to look it up and was unable to find anything on it. From the sound of it it seems to me its just any 4 color deck that cherry picks from certain colors to do what it wants. Black just for removal, blue just for counters etc. But I know this is way off base. So what makes Junk, Junk?
I think RWU decks will quit trying to make Reckoner a better card than it is and perform better because of it.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Ok, nagging question. What is Junk? I've tried to look it up and was unable to find anything on it. From the sound of it it seems to me its just any 4 color deck that cherry picks from certain colors to do what it wants. Black just for removal, blue just for counters etc. But I know this is way off base. So what makes Junk, Junk?

+

+

Gracias. That's it? I thought there was more than just a color combo.
I think RWU decks will quit trying to make Reckoner a better card than it is and perform better because of it.

What are you talking about? 

Personally Idk how UWR decks have any success without some sort of Reckoner combo as a win condition

Personally Idk how UWR decks have any success without some sort of Reckoner combo as a win condition

Assemble the Legion. Its like a PW.

UWR decks have started to cut Reckoners from what I've seen. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Assemble the Legion. Its like a PW.

UWR decks have started to cut Reckoners from what I've seen. 

I've also seen a lot of Esper decks throwing in 1 Curse of Death's Hold as an answer to that card. I just think there are way too many answers for it. I think it had its moment but I think it can be pretty easily hated out. Junk/Jund will just play Acidic Slime. UWR will play Electrickery or Detention Sphere/Oblivion Ring. Esper has access to Curse and there is also the black 1 CMC enchanment that gives all tokens -1/1 which I have seen in the SB lately. 

Honestly, I've found it to be the exact oppisite Jman, I think more people are shifting back to Reckoner win conditions.
Grixis (Master of) Cruel-ty Control

Feature searing spears, mizzium mortars, unsummons, murders dissipates, 4 master of cruelties an inconspicuous artful dodge.

Feature searing spears, mizzium mortars, unsummons, murders dissipates, 4 master of cruelties an inconspicuous artful dodge.

needs more targeted burn if your playing with mr. cruelty, that or some staff of nins lol

needs more targeted burn if your playing with mr. cruelty, that or some staff of nins lol

The point of Artful Dodge is so that you don't need to kill all their dudes- just kill enough so you don't die before clocking them out.

(at)MrEnglish22

The point of Artful Dodge is so that you don't need to kill all their dudes- just kill enough so you don't die before clocking them out.

Getting him through unblocked isn't the problem. The issue is that Master of Cruelties literally cant kill by itself, all combat damage it does is prevented. So assuming you get an attack off with it and drop them to 1 life, you are still gonna want some sort of burn or ping effect to get that last 1 point of life without having to rely on having a second creature on the table once Master of Cruelties attack.

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
You could use Geistflame... 
I can't believe I just said that.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I am going to break possibility storm. Not gonna say how, but I have such a stupid idea, that you wouldnt see it coming.

Edit: Its so dumb sounding in my head, that if it works the first time you see it. You will probley have the same reaction as this:

VCL (Volunteer Community Lead - Deck Critique (MTG)) Volunteer Community Nutritionist - (I am watching you diet, even when you think I am not.) Photobucket What my sig is based off of.
Thragtusk Midrange and Burning-Tree Emissary aggro. Nothing will change. Tusk and Emmisary will continue to snuff out creative ideas and unique card designs. When tusk doesn't get it done, an Angel of Serenity will swoop down and stifle whatever hope you had left.
Thragtusk Midrange and Burning-Tree Emissary aggro. Nothing will change. Tusk and Emmisary will continue to snuff out creative ideas and unique card designs. When tusk doesn't get it done, an Angel of Serenity will swoop down and stifle whatever hope you had left.

Tell me more, your tears are delicious. So tasty.

(at)MrEnglish22

Ok? You seem like a smart, well imformed kid. Why resort to childish antics?

Ok? You seem like a smart, well imformed kid. Why resort to childish antics?

Because you're pining on about "creativity". Ingenuity is something you in the process of playing the game, not something you mope about the game lacking because there are popular pieces that do quite a bit of work. Everyone falls in and out of ruts in their Magic experience, but when you blame the game and get unrealistic expectations- you just make a fool out of yourself.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I'm not blaming the game. Nor am I stepping on ingenuity and creativity. I'm offering a realistic expectation of standard post DGM. True, I may have been a little dramatic, but I don't think I'm wrong.

a hidden strings + dual casting combo deck 

or

a U/B control deck that features notion thief + whispering madness as a win-con
You're whining about Junk Reanimator. The deck is good, yes, we know. The deck is probably the best in the format. If it isn't the #1, it is definitely in the top 3. That doesn't mean that anything else isn't worth playing.
Yes, Thragtusk and AoS make your Craw Wurms and Goblin Heroes into garbage cards. Welcome to a TCG.
I might be a bit more sympathetic about your plight if you couldn't go down the past page or two of this subforum and see multiple people making the same gripe.

So, like I said, keep going. Your tears are delicious.

a hidden strings + dual casting combo deck 

or

a U/B control deck that features notion thief + whispering madness as a win-con

The Notion Theif deck won't be control.

(at)MrEnglish22

Thragtusk midrange. Not junk. I'm talking about doing dailies and facing bant, jund, naya and junktusk in every round everyday.
I'll continue to use my gruul hyper aggro deck, there isn't really any good things i want to throw into it from DGM. Ofc i might build and play test a junk aggro deck to see how it performs but the mana base might not be consistent enough.
Is no one else thinking Jund Aggro with Blood Scrivener and Varolz and Domri and 34 creatures? No, probably not.

Um, actually, I was. I'm still debating whether it's as crazy as it sounds. The elements are there... just need to get them to mesh right.
I'm also thinking some kind of build based around scavengeing dudes onto the Savageborn Hydra with Varolz. I'm thinking to keep it heavy G/B, with LolTroll, Dreg Mangler, et al, and splashing red for the Hydra and Ghor-Clan Rampager.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Is no one else thinking Jund Aggro with Blood Scrivener and Varolz and Domri and 34 creatures? No, probably not.

I am for sure. The troll, zombies, devils and some vamps. Should be solid aggro with great late game.
Thragtusk midrange. Not junk. I'm talking about doing dailies and facing bant, jund, naya and junktusk in every round everyday.

If this is your problem, why aren't you just playing Esper and winning?

Or just build a better deck, that can actually beat Thragtusk? 

One of those things is not like the others. And the difference is, Varolz is poop (okay, that's a bit harsh, but he isn't what I want right now)
Also, I can't imagine anyone playing BG and not playing Abrubt Decay, Farseek, and Putrefy.  

(at)MrEnglish22

Putrefy is the only card stopping a solid Jund build... but if you take advantage of its 1-for-1 but having gy synergy, it's easy to work around. AD, seek, and putrefy seem like extensions of jund midrange. I think jund aggro can take it by extending gruul aggro. 

Basically, curving out at 3 with domri and scrivener on the board can mean drawing up to 3 cards per turn when you're running 19 lands.  Valroz just makes your dead Vexing Devils and Mogg Flunkies gy desserts.

AHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHA

Haters gonna hate .gif

(at)MrEnglish22

My prediction... Decks will get even faster and more aggressive... Using less DCM cards
My prediction... Decks will get even faster and more aggressive... Using less DCM cards

i think decks are going to be more agressive, but not faster.  naya blitz is the fastest deck in the format, and it is too inconsistent to win tournaments.

i think there are going to be more decks of the newest jund aggro flavor.  with Gyre Sage or Somberwald Sage for mana ramp, and flying haste creatures in the form of Thundermaw Hellkite and Falkenrath Aristocrat.

junk will continue to be a tier 1 deck (if not remaining the best deck), just due to the sheer value of every card.

the aristocrats, or other R/W/B variations will remain powerful due to free sac outlets in Falkenrath and Cartel Aristocrat.

as for breakout decks.  i suspect we will see a rise in R/U/x decks.  

Grixis is going to become a thing again; Master of Cruelties, Sire of Insanity, along with all the split cards will give it a strong arsenal.  Though I can't tell what variety the deck will come in; be it control, aggro, or midrange.

Bug Aggro.

Evolve aggro decks.

A token deck.  Voice of Resurgence, Advent of the Wurm, and multiple populate mechanics almost ensure that this pops up sometime in the near future.

As for me, I am brewing a U/R/W deck with no Spinx's Rev.  I plan on maindecking a few Clone along with trying out Hypersonic Dragon.  Something like:

i'm basically going for a midrage u/w/r deck with enough countermagic/burn to slow down agressive decks, and a win con with Thundermaw and Angel of Serenity.  I am trying to figure out how to work in Index, because being able to Index on your opponents end step (with Hypersonic Dragon) seems really cool.  Delver of Secrets is also a possible inclusion.  Assemble the Legion, and Council of the Absolute are also strong sideboard cards against control.

+

Also known as Necra

bgw = Necra
rug = Ceta
rwu = Raka
bwr = Dega
gub = Ana

as in NecravolverCetavolverRakavolverDegavolverAnavolver