What's a better name for "spell slot" and "spell level"?

"Slot" invokes nothing in the imagination.  It's dry and mechanical.  I don't want to say my fighter has 2 "weapon slots" and "1 armor slot".  
What's a better name?

"Level" is also generic, and can get confusing with character level, class level, and caster level.
So what suggestions do you have for that?

I don't have any idea what can replace "slot",  but i like "circle" for level.  "Spell of the seventh circle" has a nice ring to it.  For that matter, "Fireball is a Mystery of the third circle" sounds even better.

Perhaps different names for different types?

Arcane:
Mystery of the third circle.

Divine:
Prayer of the fourth order.

Nature:
Call of the seventh spirit.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

We've always used the word "order" for spell levels when speaking in character. It emplies a numerical structure (even more so than level, actually).

As for slot, there are no armor or weapon slots in D&D Next. Slot is only ever used in regard to spellcasting, where "Spells per Day" is an obvious improvement.
There is no in-game way to justify the current spell preparation/casting mechanic so I don't bother. Once the module comes out I'll play either 3e-style prepared Vancian, where you can just talk about spells prepared, or else I'll play with spell points like the 5e sorcerer and call it willpower.
We could just call them "Spells."

"I have three 3rd-level/circle/order spells remaining."

The word slot is extraneous.
"I can cast three more 3rd-circle/order spells."

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Interesting how so many different tables that have never met all use 'Order' -- that's what we've used a lot also.  And Revelation for clerics/druids.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

"Slot" invokes nothing in the imagination.  It's dry and mechanical.  I don't want to say my fighter has 2 "weapon slots" and "1 armor slot".  
What's a better name?

Well, everyone has 'slots' for their worn magic items.

But, OK, yes, it is a little odd.  In traditional Vancian your spells/day could reasonably be thought of as slots, because you memorized or prepared (depending on ed) a spell in each one.  You no longer do so, you prepare a number of spells equal to your level+1 - that capacity could still be though of as being 'slots,' I suppose.  But your spells/day are no longer slots, they're not opening you plug prepared spells into, but some sort of level-specific packets of magical energy you plug into the prepared spell and touch off or something.

"Level" is also generic, and can get confusing with character level, class level, and caster level.
So what suggestions do you have for that?

Gygax went on about this early in the 1e PH.  The upshot is that the issue you mention was noted, and he considered using Rank, Power, and Order as alternatives for character level, spell level, and monster level, respectively, and leaving level to refer only to dungeon level (that is, how far below ground you are). The reason he didn't:  "...common usage of the term level to include multiple meanings is prevalent amongst exiting players, so the term has been retained herein."  That was in 1978.

I don't have any idea what can replace "slot",  but i like "circle" for level.

Slot is a problem.  Since each slot is the discrete ability to cast a spell of a specific level, rather than just a general measure of arcane endurance (like 'mana'), perhaps 'quanta' or something of similar meaning (a discrete, indivisible packet of energy).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I've always used "circle" as an alternative for spell levels. It does have a nice ring and serves to differentiate from other levels in the rules.

I don't like the "nature" distinction for types of magic, though.
Divine and Arcane is enough, unless they come up with some class that is not related to religion (divine) and has some magical connection with nature that is not related to divine entities.

The druid is not one such class. 
Druids are priests, plain as that. They've always been so in D&D and they were so also in real life, in ancient celtic cultures.
They took care of the religious aspects of the societies they lived in, and their social role was very much like that of a christian priest in christian societies (even if their religious practices were quite different).
Religion and the gods are the essential defining aspects of what is a druid. His mastery of herbs and animals is just learned knowledge. A druid might have those to create his mixtures and such, but in essence becoming a druid meant devoting one's life to the gods. In other words... priesthood.
Any of your suggestions, all of your suggestions would work. Anything but the word 'level'.

My D&D5E JavaScript Roll Tracker http://dnd5.weebly.com/

spell slot? ... ammunition.

level? ... gauge

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

spell slot? ... ammunition.

level? ... gauge

OK to authentic.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Instead of spell level, say "Magnitude".

Instead of spell slots, "Mementos".

I'm definately liking circle/order, although I'd prefer using a single term regardless of "power source" for consistancy. Personally, I vote for using "circle", but I'd be fine with either so long as we can officially drop "slot" and "spell level".

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
I like "category," personally.  The players at my table are familiar enough with storms to quickly accept the concept of a category X thing becoming a category X+1 or X-1 thing.

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
I like "circle" or "grade" so far. Any more ideas?

My D&D5E JavaScript Roll Tracker http://dnd5.weebly.com/

Someone should start a poll.

I don't know how.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I have no problem with the word level.  And as for slot,  I just said you have 4 1st level spells.  But I have used other words for different regions and guilds.  Some would say I have 4 spells of the 1st power.  The Night mages of Myrika would say I have 3 spells of the 3rd mystery.
Rank and charge.

" I am out of third rank spells, but I still have one charge of my second rank spells"

These ideas are cool and flavorful ideas, but just using level also work. I don’t think that the confusion is so big that it needs to be changed. Sure, it can be changed, and there are cool ideas here, but I don’t think we need to change.
There is no in-game way to justify the current spell preparation/casting mechanic so I don't bother. Once the module comes out I'll play either 3e-style prepared Vancian, where you can just talk about spells prepared, or else I'll play with spell points like the 5e sorcerer and call it willpower.

Honestly, I think that the default magic system should be classic Vancian, while spell-slots and such should be the modular option. As far as I can remember, spell-slot magic was one of the least voted systems in official pools. If we have classic Vancian as the default, and then modules to change that, everyone is cool.
I like "spell order" instead of "spell level".

Not sure how to distinguish "memorization slot" from "daily use slot".  Personally I find the whole mechanic awkward, but the word "slot" is unnecessary.

So here's my pass:

• You can memorize a maximum number of spells of each order.

• To memorize a different/new spell, you might have to forget one from the same (or higher) order.

• Forgetting is instant; memorization requires x minutes per order of the spell in question, and requires a long rest.

• Casting spells is mentally/spiritually exhausting; you can cast a maximum number of spells of each order* before you're exhausted.

• To recover, you have to meditate/pray.  This requires x minutes times the total order of all spells cast since the last time you meditated/prayed, and requires a long rest.  (Exception: some classes have an option for partial recovery during short rests.)

Note that I didn't use the term "day" or "slot" in any of that description.  ("Day" can be derived from the recovery rules.)

"Therefore, you are the crapper, I'm merely the vessel through which you crap." -- akaddk
Rank and charge.

" I am out of third rank spells, but I still have one charge of my second rank spells"

Makes sense.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I like circles or grades instead of spell levels. As for daily spell slots, the Netheril campaign setting in 2nd edition called them "Arcs." I think that was a cool name. Just about anything is better than calling them "slots."
Rank and charge.

Ok, I'm persuaded. Rank wins, although charges feels a little off.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
I like Power instead of Circle, but I suppose Rank would work as well. As far as slots go, for mechanics slot is fine. When talking IC, I would just use the term spell ("I only have two Power 1 Spells left").
Power is a banned term for 5E, since it was used in 4E.
I like Circles for Spell Level and plain old Spells as Spell Slots for Wizards, Orders and Prayers for Clerics, and Mysteries and Blessings for Druids.
To me spell level and spell slot are perfectly ok for use outside of the game.

But in game it does sound a bit strange, so all other sugestions made here are ok to use in character.
but the terms might be difrent depending on campaign world.
Even within the same world difrent groups might call them difrent names.

2 competing wizard acedemies one calling them circles and the other refering to spell ranks.

I'm warming to rank, at least for wizards.
Circles sound best for druids.
Order for cleric.

guides
Power
my builds

In game will be different than what it is called in the rule. Each school or priesthood will likely name it something different. For the table we never had issued with slots or levels
Possibly new gamers could.
What about download/upload for Spell Slot Wink

The slots are pure energy, units of different amounts, intensities, or configurations of energy.

Somewhat seriously, at least as far as trying to convey what slots are, maybe call them “batteries”. Batteries are units of energy, some batteries store more energy than others.

“Charges” seems right enough.
I cant wait for spell point Wizards to become available. Im counting on the point system to work satisfactorily.
In the sense of slots as configurations of energies, “Matrix” and Matrices could sound cool.

“How many matrices do you have left?”

“I have two circle 4 matrices and a circle 1 matrix.”
I don't like calling them slots either.  That is why I started calling them spells a long time ago.
I don't like calling them slots either.  That is why I started calling them spells a long time ago.

?

But slots arent spells. A spell is something different from a slot.

The “spell” is something that you “prepare”. You get 1 + Wizard level spells. You can prepare spells of any level - the level doesnt matter.

Slots are something different. You get a specific number of slots for each spell level per day.

You can cast a prepared spell only if you have a same-level slot for it, or a higher level slot.

?

The “spell” is something that you “prepare”. You get 1 + Wizard level spells. You can prepare spells of any level - the level doesnt matter.

Slots are something different. You get a specific number of slots for each spell level per day.

You can cast a prepared spell only if you have a same-level slot for it, or a higher level slot.

Spell does not equal level.   You can have 4 first level spells, 3  second level spells.   The word level refers to the hierarchy of the spells based upon difficulty.  i.e. the highter the spell level the more difficult the spell.  I find it pretty easy to understand.  I have never had to use the word slot.

?

Spell does not equal level.   You can have 4 first level spells, 3  second level spells.   The word level refers to the hierarchy of the spells based upon difficulty.  i.e. the highter the spell level the more difficult the spell.  I find it pretty easy to understand.  I have never had to use the word slot.

So, for you, the word “spell level” means the same thing as “slot”?

So, would someone ask you, “How many spell levels do you have left?”

Again, a level 5 Wizard “prepares” 6 spells. This Wizard always has six spells, not more, not less. They dont run out.

So, if some one asks you, “How many spells do you have?” since you want to avoid the word “slots”, you are really interpreting this to mean how many ... units of spell levels can you cast?

A level 1 wizard prepares 2 first level spells.  I don't see the word slot in there anywhere.
Do you understand the first sentence that I wrote on this post?  I am not trying to be rude.  Is english your native language.
To be fair, in most circumstances you can just refer to spells as spells. The term "spell slot" is (was) only really useful when talking about the nitty-gritty of spell preparation - "you can prepare a lower-level spell in a higher-level spell slot", or "An empowered spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level."
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
A level 1 wizard prepares 2 first level spells.  I don't see the word slot in there anywhere.

Do you understand the first sentence that I wrote on this post?  I am not trying to be rude.  Is english your native language.

Focusing on logic. This is a discussion about nomenclature, technical language that needs to be clear. I am trying to clarify the use of ambivalent terms.

Initially, I was responding to your post. You said,

“I don't like calling them slots. ... That is why I started calling them spells. ...”

I take this to mean, you refer to “slots” as “spells”.

I am saying, according to the gaming mechanics, “slots” and “spells” are two different things.

I dont see how you can call them the same thing.

Or at least, it seems problematic to use an ambiguous technical term that means too many things.
I don't think he was suggesting a term replacement, just noting that when HE talks about spell slots, he just shortens it to spells. I do the same thing. If someone asks me what I have left, I would say "I have two Level 1 Spells left, and a Level 2 Spell left." In the rulebook, I think they will have to keep using the term spell slot for clarification.
Sign In to post comments