Need advice for the Feywild

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Up untill this point i have completely written off the Eladrin, the existence of the feywild and all powers and abilities related to the fey were changed or removed. I just simply dont like it, i feel that their should only be three worlds..a world of the gods, an underword and the prime world.

In any case, my wife wants to play as an Eladrin Noble from the Feywild..Wizard(summoner).. with a role of something along the lines of being sent to the prime world by someone else..perhaps as a scout. She also wants the character to be long term, and not just for an adventure or two. Obviously i can't win this debate so i am stuck needing to come up with a hook, i'm also dealing with very limited knowledge of the Feywild.

I'm also in the difficulty of, where adding the feywild would contradict the lore and historical backround of the world and its gods. Comprimising is not one of my strong points so i'm hoping for someone who can just tell me what to do. (Wife will not help brainstorm the rest of her character backround)
One idea I think I've seen somewhere before (although I can't remember where), that wouldn't contradict your idea of just 3 planes, is that the Feywild, full of life, magic and mystery, is the ancient past, and the Shadowfell is the remains of the world just before the end of time. 

Reflavour the Feywild to be the "Time of myth", when the rules of reality are not quite fixed yet, and everything was beautiful and deadly. Elves (or Eladrin) are dominant, and monstrous beasts roam the jungles. Then just take all the existing detail on the Feywild, and run with it.

The Feytimes were so long ago, any history is lost in the mists of time - you can minimize the risk of time-travel shenigans if you wish. There's a potential mystery in what causes the rifts between the worlds/times to open, and the risk of them spreading further. That could quite easily be a hook for the Eladrin character to get involved, travelling to discover more about this other world/time, and possibly the cause of fey crossings. Then work with the player to introduce reasons for her to stay - maybe other travellers from her world-time are causing trouble, or something causes the Fey Crossings to close, trapping here in the Now-Prime.

I hope that helps, and works for your established setting. 
The official PoL story of the Feywild and Shadowfell is that they ARE the prime world, just reflections of it in different lights (or lack there off in the case of the Shadowfell). The Feywild is made up of portions that were too bright or magical. So really, they don't exactly go against the concept of a top, middle and bottom, since they're simply 1/3 of the middle portion each. It'd be just as easy to introduce it as writen under the pretense that few people in your game setting have ventured to and/or from the Feywild, so knowledge of it is lacking.

Everything in 4e is deliberately vague to a point, so as to allow you to flavor it as you wish to, instead of being held down to established details. Maybe the Feywild in your world isn't so much a different plane, but another continent. Part of the world as known, but mostly undiscovered by those from outside of its own soils.

Overall, do with the Feywild what works best for you and your players to enjoy yourselves. Good Luck, and Happy Gaming
You know those little floating spots you can see in your eye when staring at the blue sky? Those are tiny holes between this plane and the Feywild.

When it's perfectly sunny but yet it's raining? That's actually a storm from the Feywild that crossed between the planes. 

That one sock you keep losing every time you do the wash? Sucked right into the Feywild. Gnomes, probably.

It's a strange place, both there and not there, existing right alongside the "real" world in the spaces between everything. It may not even be real at all, being a place entirely of imagination, existing only because children believe in it.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

Here, Have Some Free Material From Me: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Dark Sun Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Generated D&D 5e PCs

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

In any case, my wife wants to play as an Eladrin Noble from the Feywild..Wizard(summoner).. with a role of something along the lines of being sent to the prime world by someone else..perhaps as a scout. She also wants the character to be long term, and not just for an adventure or two. Obviously i can't win this debate so i am stuck needing to come up with a hook, i'm also dealing with very limited knowledge of the Feywild.

The Feywild is just an island or lost continent that reappears once in a while like Brigadoon. It's part of the world, but no one seriously believed in in.

I'm also in the difficulty of, where adding the feywild would contradict the lore and historical backround of the world and its gods. Comprimising is not one of my strong points so i'm hoping for someone who can just tell me what to do. (Wife will not help brainstorm the rest of her character backround)

Wow. Good luck. With everything.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Flavor is mutable.  All of it.  No exceptions.

The default cosmology, as well as every other piece of fluff, are just suggestions.  They're a starting point for new DMs to play with.  You are encouraged to adapt the fluff and/or use your own.  Which, coincidentally, is what you're already doing.  So if you don't like Feywild stuff, adapt it or chuck it.  It's that simple.

So where would Eladrin exist in your world?  Pick a place - roll a die, throw a dart on a map, make something up, whatever.  Bam!  That's where eladrin exist.  Done.  Even in the default cosmology, not all eladrin live in the feywild.  Though I do like Centauri's lost continent idea.

Don't like the "fey" flavor of Eladrin.  They're not fey.  Done.  But what about the "fey subtype" you may ask?  Really, that feature's almost entirely fluff.  It only interacts with mechanics in a small number of edge cases.  I'd keep it to make sure she can still take options that require it as a prereq, but reflavor it to something different that better fits your campaign.  The hard part is done.

Player doesn't want to help create their background?  Not even a little bit?  Then they can't complain when what they wanted doesn't match up with what they get.  They had their opportunity to ask.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from adding the Feywild (back?) to your setting if that's what you want to do.  But you say that adding the Feywild would "contradict the lore and historical backround of the world and its gods".  How and why is that?  Because without knowing that, any proposed solution would be a shot in the dark.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Of course, there's nothing stopping you from adding the Feywild (back?) to your setting if that's what you want to do.  But you say that adding the Feywild would "contradict the lore and historical backround of the world and its gods".  How and why is that?  Because without know that, any proposed solution would be a shot in the dark.

Excellent point. Anything we suggest could have the same problem.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

That's a good point, and it would take hours to go into the details. I had ALOT of time in the military to spend coming up with this and basically building an entire planet and thousands of years of historical events inside my head.

I did finally come up with a few things, that being how and why she left the Feywild. Heres what i came up with:

The PC is a Noble Eladrin Conjurer who accidentally opens a rift between the Feywild and the Prime and is sucked through it, the Rift then closes and she is trapped and soon after finds herself face to face with a group of Orc Slavers.

This doesn't exactly explain anything lore wise, but it does get us started assuming she actually opens the Rift. xP

I’ve removed content from this thread because Baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

That's a good point, and it would take hours to go into the details. I had ALOT of time in the military to spend coming up with this and basically building an entire planet and thousands of years of historical events inside my head.

I did finally come up with a few things, that being how and why she left the Feywild. Heres what i came up with:

The PC is a Noble Eladrin Conjurer who accidentally opens a rift between the Feywild and the Prime and is sucked through it, the Rift then closes and she is trapped and soon after finds herself face to face with a group of Orc Slavers.

This doesn't exactly explain anything lore wise, but it does get us started assuming she actually opens the Rift. xP

I understand wanting to (and having the time to) create a rich, detailed world, but you've encountered a key problem with it when it comes to roleplaying: other people are involved in at least minor details of that world. Going forward, try to give yourself some wiggle room to accommodate player ideas. The players are very much like co-authors.

True, the backround lore is generally non-negotiable though in any storyline. A character running through the world making history may effect the events in the future but that does not effect things in the past...there has to be a "before the character". My Wife wanting to be an Eladrin is no differant, her involvement does not dictate any of the events that occurred in the past, so i have to come up with a reason for their to be a feywild in the present. Which so far, we agreed that there are NO other Eladrin in the prime world, no-one will even know what an Eladrin is so when in dialogue with an NPC they will think she is an Elf and treat her as such.
True, the backround lore is generally non-negotiable though in any storyline.

That's not true at all.  The only thing that could be considered non-negotiable are events that your audience (your players, in this case) have had a chance to directly participate and/or experience.  And that's not true either.

First of all, anything not yet revealed to your audience is not yet canon and, being the creator of that material, you have full carte blanche to change it.

Any history relayed to your players but not directly experienced by their characters can easily be wrong.  History is written by the winners, facts can be twisted into myth, and details can be lost, misinterpreted, or purposely obfuscated.  What your characters think they know about the world they live in may not actually be truth.  And this can apply not only the the PCs, but any character in the setting, including the gods.  Uncovering or revealing such truths can also be a good way to set up a intrigue-based plot, create a dramatic reveal, justify the existence of the masquerade, or introduce any such elements later.

And finally, even established events are still negotiable.  And of course, retconing is also an option.  Retconing is a tool.  Used properly, a retcon can actually improve a narrative by helping to address continuity hiccups, reveal new implications and motivations to an established event, or introduce new complications and plot points you may not have originally intended.  And, again, used properly, your players may have no idea that a retcon has been done.  Instead, they'll be convinced that everything is transpiring as you planned.

TLDR: Background lore can be totally negotiable.

Of course, that's not to say that you must make changes to what you have planned.  I'm only pointing out that you have much more flexibility than you think, even given all the prep work you've already put into your setting.  And I'll echo Centauri's suggestion of giving yourself more wiggle room going forward.  DMing a campaign is not like writing a story where you are the sole arbitrator of what happens from beginning to end.  Your players will also take a part in developing the ongoing narrative through their ideas and choices in-game.  And those choices may take the campaign into a completely different direction than you would initially expect.  And you may find yourself liking their ideas and wanting to incorporate them into your setting's cannon.  So be sure to give both yourself and your players room to grow ideas.

Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
True, the backround lore is generally non-negotiable though in any storyline. A character running through the world making history may effect the events in the future but that does not effect things in the past...there has to be a "before the character".

I'm not sure why that's a useful way to think about it, especially in a game in which new characters with interesting, rich, but here-to-fore unknown backgrounds might be plopped in. That happens quite frequently in stories and shows in which the writers realize that they need to introduce a new character, but hadn't accounted for the character initially. Smart writers give themselves room and leave certain things ambiguous in order to allow for changes and other exigencies.

My Wife wanting to be an Eladrin is no differant, her involvement does not dictate any of the events that occurred in the past,

It could, if you let it.

so i have to come up with a reason for their to be a feywild in the present. Which so far, we agreed that there are NO other Eladrin in the prime world, no-one will even know what an Eladrin is so when in dialogue with an NPC they will think she is an Elf and treat her as such.

That's fine, but limiting to your story and world.

The bottom line i'm trying to get at is that i DONT LIKE the Eladrin or the Feywild. I am just trying to compromise with her in a way that the game is still enjoyable for me, which sad as it may be, the very presence of other Eladrin in the world would diminish that enjoyment.

Saying that the present character should potentially have the ability to dictate past events that occurred thousands of years ago is like saying that your world of warcraft death knight should have something to do with the Titans and the creation of Azeroth. It just doesn't work, i am very open to the concept of building new historical events through player created backround. I have hardly gone so far as to pre-determine all of that, just the basics which included no Feywild/Shadowfel realms.

It is limiting, depending on which way you look at it. The scenario offers the PC an 'alien' enviroment that she must endure while trying to find a way home if she so chooses to do so.

In any case i'm not really here to debate the limitations of my plots and world, i just wanted advice about fusing the feywild into a world where it did not originally exist. 
If you really dislike it to that extent, I think any advice we would give will still leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Honestly, if someone came to my table and wanted to play a Smurf, I'd figure out a way. I don't have that strong a feeling about anything in my games.
Just refluff then. Use the stats for an eladrin, but say that she is a weird old elf that his lived in a cafe community cut off from other elves - hence the paler skill and xenophobic attidue.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Saying that the present character

Not the character. The player.

should potentially have the ability to dictate past events that occurred thousands of years ago is like saying that your world of warcraft death knight should have something to do with the Titans and the creation of Azeroth. It just doesn't work,

It doesn't work in a video game. This is a table-top roleplaying game. Anything works.

In addition to refluffing the eladrin, you can also refluff the Feywild. I don't know what you don't like about it, but it can really be anything you like, even a part of the underworld or overworld. The point is, there are lots of options, and all you have to do to keep them available is be careful with how you use absolutes.

Nevermind. You don't like it, you don't like it. I don't like rot grubs. Good luck.

First off I have to give you kudos for admitting to your own biases and owning them.  A lot of DMs on this forum, myself included, will probably disagree with some of your baseline assumptions about the way that the game should operate for optimum enjoyment for all parties, and I am personally afraid that any advice on this issue will only be a bandaid for potential issues to come, but all of that is not germain to your request, so I'll move on.

Is your wife interested in playing an Eladrin from a mechanical perspective, or in part because of the cosmological heritage of Eladrin?  I ask because if it's the former and you don't want any other Eladrin in the game, you can just have her character be the subject of some sort of magical experiment, or an exarch of Corellon, or some such other "super elf."  If she's playing a magical class, why not just reflavor the fey step power as a class encounter power that she learned from her mentor way back when?  The other differences between her and other elves could largely be a matter of culture.

If, on the other hand, your wife is also interested in playing an Eladrin because Eladrin are super f'n cool, then you're probably stuck having her travel dimensions or times to get to your world.  That's fine and all, but it seems to run into the same trouble that just dropping the feywild into your campaign would have: namely, the feywild will exist in your campaign setting.  But even there, the ability to reflavor is always present.  Maybe the feywild doesn't exist per se, but there is a tribe of of more esoteric and magically gifted elves in a far away land that are Eladrin for all mechanical effects.  Maybe your wife's character is the last living elf from that tribe.   

If, on the other hand, your wife is also interested in playing an Eladrin because Eladrin are super f'n cool, then you're probably stuck having her travel dimensions or times to get to your world.  That's fine and all, but it seems to run into the same trouble that just dropping the feywild into your campaign would have: namely, the feywild will exist in your campaign setting.  But even there, the ability to reflavor is always present.  Maybe the feywild doesn't exist per se, but there is a tribe of of more esoteric and magically gifted elves in a far away land that are Eladrin for all mechanical effects.  Maybe your wife's character is the last living elf from that tribe.   

That makes me think..perhaps if the Feywild was perhaps a heavily forested area existing in the prime world itself rather than another plane. I'd certainly be more open to the idea of Eladrin if that were case, they could simply be another 'race' of elves specific to that region but are just as known to branch out into the rest of the world as say...kobold merchants.

Since she originally concluded (before we talked about the accidental rift) that she wanted to be sent out as a 'scout', she could be asked to scout out a particular region outside of the feywild after doing a few mundane combat quests to grab up on some character development.

The Shadowfel could be implemented in a similar way, in my previous campaign world a mage war that the PC's accidentally started over the course of a couple of adventurers (totally unplanned i might add) caused an entire region to be devestated that we eventually referred to as the black lands. It was heavily infested with undead and liches. It became the setting for many an high level adventure.

@UnforseenXx, I don't see a reason why any of that wouldn't work and have the desired effect you and your wife want.  Your feywild, just like any DM's feywild in its own plane or not, can have whatever and as many fey elements as you wish.  Have fun with it and good luck.
Game advice:
You mentioned a "World of Gods", would that include a domain/area that is a verdant forest-paradise for the Elf-gods or Nature-gods? (Corelleon/Melora in the PHB)

If so, this area could also be known as the 'Feywild'.  The Eladrin are elves from the higher-planes and thus different.

Personal advice:
nope, not touching that with a 10' pole
@UnforseenXx, I don't see a reason why any of that wouldn't work and have the desired effect you and your wife want.  Your feywild, just like any DM's feywild in its own plane or not, can have whatever and as many fey elements as you wish.  Have fun with it and good luck.

Thanks

Game advice:
You mentioned a "World of Gods", would that include a domain/area that is a verdant forest-paradise for the Elf-gods or Nature-gods? (Corelleon/Melora in the PHB)

If so, this area could also be known as the 'Feywild'.  The Eladrin are elves from the higher-planes and thus different.

Personal advice:
nope, not touching that with a 10' pole

It is comparable to Olympia in greek mythology. There are no racial based gods and they are able to take the form of any race they choose, though some take preference occasionally. They are very active, if the PC's dont pay homage to the God of the Sea before a voyage they may very well find themselves in the middle of a Tsunami.