Card of the Week 16: 4/16/13 - 4/22/13

59 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

4/16/13 - 4/22/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Last week ParadOxymoron converted votes into a win with this pretty little number:

Converting Bosk
Land (C)
(p), : Choose one—Add to your mana pool; or you gain 2 life.

Previous Winners
1/1/13 - 1/7/13 theAtog

Body Sinker 
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1
-----
1/8/13 - 1/14/13 ImidazolineSilly_Dragons

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.
-----
1/15/13 - 1/21/13 Hairless Thoctar

Cage Fighter

Creature-Ogre Berserker
Creatures your opponents control have ": Fight Cage Fighter" 
6/5
-----
1/22/13 - 1/28/13 Mown

Order of the Pale Road 
Creature - Human Monk
If a permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
The lessons in life shapes you, like bricks in a wall. It is only when complete, that you find it does naught but prevent your return.
2/2
-----
1/29/13 - 2/4/13 zammm; Detektor

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3
-----
2/5/13 - 2/11/13 Detektor

Irrigated Field
Land - Plains
After your third turn of the game, Irrigated Field is an Island.
For eight thousand years, the Iteru had always flooded its banks just in time for the famers to plant flax. Was the river spirit offering a gesture of constancy in a world torn apart by war? Or was she the one seeking reassurance?
-----
2/12/13 - 2/18/13 turnip_song; Arazlam; SimpleDreams

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study

Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.
-----
2/26/13 - 3/4/13 Arazlam

Timithy Spirit |
Creature - Spirit Illusion - (C)
Timithy Spirit can't attack or block unless it has another ability.
2/2
-----
3/5/13 - 3/11/13 Kavu_Overlord

Clockwatcher 
Creature - Human Wizard

Clockwatcher is a 6/6 Avatar with flying during extra turns.

He's the only one to notice that every so often, a clock will tick without moving.

2/1
-----
3/12/13 - 3/18/13 HairlessThoctar; febbstalicious42; Rush_Clasic

Cruel Mercy

Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a card revealed this way. That player discards another card.

Iridescent Anchor -- 
Creature - Spirit Illusion
As long as Iridescent Anchor is not a card, it gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof.
A successful wizard has the power to make his dreams real. A wise wizard fears to.
2/3

Social Studies
Sorcery
Each player who controls a creature with trample draws a card. Repeat this process for deathtouch, defender, flash, haste, hexproof, intimidate, landwalk, reach, and vigilance.
"What measure is the knowledge of a single mind versus that of the whole world?"
- Ro, Wirewood shaman

-----
3/19/13 - 3/25/13 by 3-7-15-1-292

Heroic Stand 
Instant
Target creature you control fights all attacking creatures.
"Yes, he died, but he died surrounded by the corpses of the enemy. For that, we shall always remember him."
-----
3/26/13 - 4/1/13 by Detektor

Scale Sprite 
Creature - Insect Faerie
Flying
Scale Sprite deals damage to creatures in the form of size counters. (Creatures with size counters on them are X/X, where X is the number of size counters on them.)
"What size do you want to be?" it asked.
"Oh, I'm not particular as to size," Alice hastily replied; "only one doesn't like changing so often, you know."

1/1
-----
4/2/13 - 4/8/13 by magicpablo666

Sketch 
Enchantment
Sketch enters the battlefield as a copy of target creature, except that it is not a creature.

"What exactly am I looking at here?" 
- Pola Reiszen, Master Instructiore
-----
4/9/13 - 4/15/13 by ParadOxymoron

Converting Bosk
Land (C)
(p), : Choose one—Add to your mana pool; or you gain 2 life.

Nomination Rules:
Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 
All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
3. The name of the card's creator.

You may nominate one cards  week.
You can't nominate your own designs.
All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:
You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.
You may vote for yourself.
All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.
All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock above.

Nominations for 4/2/13 - 4/8/13
Dimir Silencer-
Creature-Zombie Wizard
Sacrifice Dimir Silencer: Counter target spell unless its controller pays .
You may cast Dimir Silencer from your graveyard.
"The true strength of an individual is his voice. The true strength of an organization is silence."~Xeliar, Sculptor of Lies
1/1

by razorborne
-----
Ascetic Virtues
Instant
Lose all attachments.
"Anyone can walk the path of the ascetic, pain is of the mind, possessions are of the mind, love is of the mind. As long as they are held by the mind they hold power over the mind, but once they are released, there are no barriers." - Thrun, the Last Troll

by Dr_Demento
-----
Slow Wits

Enchantment 
Players may not respond. 
"Any questions?"

by magicpablo666
-----
Arcane Sap
Instant

Counter target spell unless its controller reveals an instant or sorcery card from his or her hand.

by Esterdi
-----
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts -
Legendary Creature - Human Advisor (R)
Extort
If you would gain life, you gain twice that much life instead.
At the beginning of each end step, each opponent loses life equal to the life he or she lost this turn. (Damage causes loss of life.)
2/3

by Flopfoot
-----
Xzibit's Paradox
Enchantment
Damage is dealt in the form of subgames.
Yo dawg, I heard you like Magic, so we put games inside your games so you can flop cards while you flop cards.

by Rush_Clasic
-----
Rage of Reason |
Instant (R)
Draw a card, then ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of cards in your hand.
The only logical reaction is violence.

by Echo_Robin
-----
Niv-Mizzet, the Boob-Windowed 
Legendary Creature- Dragon Wizard
Flying
: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. Until end of turn, it gains haste and "Whenever this creature deals damage to its owner, you may draw a card."
Niv-Mizzet's new 'garment' inspired many kinds of frenzy.
4/4

by Mata_Hari
-----
Ill Tidings

Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, if a player has 13 life that player loses the game.

by HairlessThoctar
-----
Beginner's Luck 
Instant
Copy target activated or triggered ability. You may choose new targets for the copy. 
"So...like this?"

by Dudibus
-----
Metal to Wood
Sorcery (R)
All artifacts lose all abilities and become Forest lands. (They have ": Add to your mana pool." They're no longer artifacts. This effect lasts indefinitely.)

by Steinhauser

Nominations for this round and votes for the last one due Monday, April 22nd. Beverages and cookies will be served.

for the first time i don't feel like voting anything. and Xzibit's Paradox is not by Paradox

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
for the first time i don't feel like voting anything. and Xzibit's Paradox is not by Paradox

Haha, oops. I'm sure the original creator doesn't mind the brief name change. ;)
Yeah, didn't vote for anything either.  I think perhaps joke cards shouldn't be nominated?  
I don't wanna cut them out. I mean, I didn't vote for my card, but I see no reason for it not to be nominated. Card making means something slightly (or severely) different to everyone. The votes are what matter in the end anyway.
This is the first time I've been nominated for CotW and it was for a joke post

Mind you I haven't been posting any actual content for years at this point so **** 'em, just **** 'em. 
I don't wanna cut them out. I mean, I didn't vote for my card, but I see no reason for it not to be nominated. Card making means something slightly (or severely) different to everyone. The votes are what matter in the end anyway.

I didn't mean that you should cut them out, just that people should not nominate them.

Mind you I haven't been posting any actual content for years at this point so **** 'em, just **** 'em. 

But barring the silly flavor of it, the card design is pretty spiffy.

I didn't mean that you should cut them out, just that people should not nominate them.

I'm just saying that if people really like them, they should be fine nominating them. 3 out of 11 is hardly overshadowing anything.
I am with Rumor. Yes, the flavor was very silly, but Niv-Mizzet, the Boob-Windowed has a really cool ability. 
I don't find Niv-Mizzet's ability particularly exciting, and its not really new, but it is well-designed and therefore isn't undeserving of a nomination.  Xzibit deserved SOME recognition outside of its thread for just how brilliantly hilarious it is, but it certainly won't win.

But who cares what I think, I never vote for the winners anyways...I'm getting curious on whether boobs are just as important to popularity in literature as they are in real life though Tongue Out.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Is there anyway to see the original card posts so i know what im voting for?

But barring the silly flavor of it, the card design is pretty spiffy.

this is why I voted for it.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Is there anyway to see the original card posts so i know what im voting for?

The nomination are in an sblock that looks like this:

Right above the poll.
I really like Niv. Except a card is more than just its mechanic. It must be a complete package. That is why I voted for Doctor D instead. Flavour text, the flavour of the ability, the name - these are not factors which can be swept aside so easily.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I really like Niv. Except a card is more than just its mechanic. It must be a complete package. That is why I voted for Doctor D instead. Flavour text, the flavour of the ability, the name - these are not factors which can be swept aside so easily.

Dr. D

The Complete Package. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
As opposed to Niv-Mizzet. Is it his fault that he can't fill out a boob window as well?
The best of the "funny cards" is Xzibit's Paradox in my opinion.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I like beginner's luck
Xzibit is an intersting conversation piece, but everytime I hovered my mouse over the vote button I almost threw up.
That card is fundamentally evil. :C 
The subgames are also entirely pointless, since they have no effect on the main game and the main game is almost unwinnable without enchantment removal.
And also, it doesn't tell you how the subgames are supposed to work. Do you use you current library? Do you leave the main game as is, or do you you put your hand/graveyard/permanents into your subgame library? Sloppy wording, I tell you.
The subgames are also entirely pointless, since they have no effect on the main game and the main game is almost unwinnable without enchantment removal.

This is just one of the reasons I didn't vote for it. The whole idea sacrifices playability just to make the joke stronger. That's not good design! I've designed at least 100 better subgame cards in my life, I'm sure.

I still enjoyed making it.
Subgames are the worst. They have a ton of design space that can be expressed extremely elegantly, but they are ultimately terrible for the fun of the game.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Subgames are the worst. They have a ton of design space that can be expressed extremely elegantly, but they are ultimately terrible for the fun of the game.

not if there are specific, short, and sweet win-con defined in those sub games. I don't think every subgame needs to be a full-game-beat-you-from-20-to-0-or-mill-your-whole-library thing on its own.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I'M LOSING!!

not if there are specific, short, and sweet win-con defined in those sub games. I don't think every subgame needs to be a full-game-beat-you-from-20-to-0-or-mill-your-whole-library thing on its own.

My favorite subgame design:

Krark's Middle Finger
Legendary Artifact
Subgames are played in the form of coin-flips. 
<3

and i remember seeing that

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I originally called int "Krark's Other Thumb". I forget who gets credit for ^this^ much better name.

My favorite subgame design:

Krark's Middle Finger
Legendary Artifact
Subgames are played in the form of coin-flips. 

Should be the opposite.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Kingside Knight
Creature - Knight
First strike, protection from black
Coin flips and subgames are played in the form of chess.
Sworn to keep the darkness in check.
2/2 
Kingside Knight
Creature - Knight
2/2 

From this thread.

Changed my nomination. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Kingside Knight
Creature - Knight
2/2 

Brilliant.

Kingside Knight
Creature - Knight
2/2 

From this thread.

laziest nomination ever.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Riverside Knight
Creature - Knight
First strike, protection from white
Games of chess are played in the form of a duel on a bridge.
"Have at you!"
2/2 
Swedish Director
Creature - Human Horror
Player's can't win.
Chess Games are played in the form of metaphors for life.
2/3 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Life's Lessons
Creature - Incarnation
Games are not played. They are won or they are lost.

6/3

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Jokerize-
Sorcery
Life becomes a game.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
YOLO
Instant
Target player does something stupid that can potentially ruin their life.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Existentialism Debunked
Sorcery
Target man becomes an Island.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/