[DGM-ICD] Nivix Cyclops

63 posts / 0 new
Last post

Nivix Cyclops  
Creature - Cyclops (C)

Defender
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Nivix Cyclops gets +3/+0 until end of turn and can attack this turn as though it did not have defender.

1/4 
Whee, more fun for the Defender tribal deck.  1/4 Defender for 3 seems ok, ability to possibly attack also seems ok.
This guy is going to wreck face... Can swing for at least 4 damage on turn 4, in addition to the effect of whatever instant/sorcery you cast, and if you have 2 in hand, you can deal quite a bit...
Too cool. Probably not going in my defender deck, but this is something that makes :U::R: look much better in limited.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
if you have 2 of them, boom 7/4
cast a mizzium skin during combat, boom, ogre defender guy

I love that art. 

The card is for limited mostly, and will likely do fine there.  
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Big daddy!

And Cyclops just screams "Hey, spoiler for the next set!", seeing how they haven't had very many cyclopses in recent MTG History. 
I think I just found a new creature for my UR Kiln Fiend deck, also currently employing Blistercoil Weird, Nivmagus Elemental, and Wee Dragonauts. He may not be quite as good as Dragonauts, but he's not far behind either. And he looks freakin' badass.

My Izzet common/uncommon deck has been looking for some better cards and this looks perfect. Also looks like a great limited card.
Big daddy!

And Cyclops just screams "Hey, spoiler for the next set!", seeing how they haven't had very many cyclopses in recent MTG History. 

Borborygmos Enraged and Fortress Cyclops are sad...
Big daddy!

Borborygmos Enraged and Fortress Cyclops are sad...

As they should be.
Pretty cool for a common. Looks like a badass can actually get pretty beefy
And now I'm sold that Blistercoil Weird is a deck.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Possibility Storm is a deck, rather.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Teleportal and Chemister's Trick just got more fun.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Neat...I am going to be loving this guy in Limited, both with the Defender synergy in RTR and actually having an efficient common creature for the Izzet that won't be stolen IMMEDIATELY like Frostburn Weird. Brilliant art, too.

However, he's not enough to make me splash red into my Delver/Nivmagus/Blistercoil mono-blue cheap spell Standard deck, mostly because you can't declare an attack with him and then pump him with a trio of 1-drop cantrips after he's left unblocked - you have to trigger his ability at least once to start off. I'd like using him with Artful Dodge or as a very pumpable blocker (Downsize, Mizzium Skin or Fleeting Distraction so he may survive as well as beat face), but he still falls just slightly below what I need - which is probably a reprint of Wee Dragonauts.

Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Very cool common!

Pauper idea: cast Distortion Strike and Assault Strobe on this guy, and now you deal 18 16 unblockable damage for for a mere total of ! Puts them right in 2x Lightning Bolt range.

EDIT: math fail

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Huh. Not bad at all! 

Solid Limited duder. 
Wow...
This makes sorcery/instant cards get a more bang for the buck. Talrand, Sky Summoner, Snapcaster Mage, Guttersnipe, Blistercoil Weird, and many more have a brute to work with now. At least at common he won't be to hard to get unlike one of those mentioned above...

Ideas are flowing...
I think I just found a new creature for my UR Kiln Fiend deck, also currently employing Blistercoil Weird, Nivmagus Elemental, and Wee Dragonauts. He may not be quite as good as Dragonauts, but he's not far behind either. And he looks freakin' badass.

Yes, filling your Kiln Fiend deck with even more creatures is obviously a wise decision.

With new Izzet, old Izzet, and then a smattering of blue cards, there are just too many possible creatures for an instants/sorceries deck to use them all. You have to pick the best of the best to keep a good creature to spell ratio. And, honestly, this guy doesn't make the cut to actually be added to any of those decks.

That said, on an individual card basis I love this guy. He does look really good in limited, fun to play, and the art is great.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
This could certainly prove troublesome in limited.
Nivix is almost Kevin spelled backwards—Nivek.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Your definition of "almost" is a funny one

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Mr. Bubbles!

I don't care about the quality of this card. I'm still gonna get a playset and put them in a deck. And I shall call them Mr. B and they will give the bad men stars and birdies.
Mr. Bubbles!

I don't care about the quality of this card. I'm still gonna get a playset and put them in a deck. And I shall call them Mr. B and they will give the bad men stars and birdies.

Combine with Cloistered Youth? (I can't think of an on-colored analogue to that, unfortunately...)
Mr. Bubbles!

Combine with Cloistered Youth? (I can't think of an on-colored analogue to that, unfortunately...)

Little Girl

Yes, filling your Kiln Fiend deck with even more creatures is obviously a wise decision.

With new Izzet, old Izzet, and then a smattering of blue cards, there are just too many possible creatures for an instants/sorceries deck to use them all. You have to pick the best of the best to keep a good creature to spell ratio. And, honestly, this guy doesn't make the cut to actually be added to any of those decks.

That said, on an individual card basis I love this guy. He does look really good in limited, fun to play, and the art is great.

He could be a good switch for Dragonauts when the situation calls for it (Cyclops handles burn better for example), and I was thinking mainly including 3 of each anyway. As it is, the current creature base adds up to 14 (3 Blistercoil Weirds, 4 Nivmagus Elementals, 4 Kiln Fiends, and 3 Wee Dragonauts), so two or three of these Cyclopes shouldn't disrupt the balance too much.

But yes, there are so many good creatures for instant/sorcery decks. These just happen to be my favorites.

Another reason I like this creature is because I was struggling for a while to think of a good RTR Izzet Pauper deck, but the deck suffered from a poor creature selection and less than stellar spells. The spell part still needs work but now Izzet finally has a good common aggro creature.

Hidden card text:
Whenever a player casts Abrupt Decay and Nivix Cyclops is a legitimate target, that player has to target Nivix Cyclops.
(This includes his or her own Nivix Cyclops.)
Hidden card text:
Whenever a player casts Abrupt Decay and Nivix Cyclops is a legitimate target, that player has to target Nivix Cyclops.
(This includes his or her own Nivix Cyclops.)

Please... Wake up, mr. Bubbles...
What's that, Kiln Fiend Deck? You want to be updated for Dragon's Maze standard after your two-rotation hiatus? I think I can do that.

I missed you, buddy.
Rules Nut Advisor
T3: Cyclops
T4: Artful Dodge, Armed, random 1 mana spell or just flashback the Arful Dodge.
(1+3+3+1+3)x2 = You're DEAD.
Kind of reminds me of the Fury from captain britain...

2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vddyoq90Xj0/UGMNQNhOx...
I think this is going to replace Wee Dragonauts in my Kiln Fiend pauper deck. That I never play, because no-one likes playing against it.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I just went back and reread the card.  Congrats Izzet players.   
Wheee!  I get to play an Artful Dodge deck
I think this is going to replace Wee Dragonauts in my Kiln Fiend pauper deck. That I never play, because no-one likes playing against it.

Why not add?
I first read it as "Nixon Cyborg", like in Futurama.
This completely makes up for goblin test pilot. I just hope every izzet playing at pre release gets 2 of these for each goblin test pilot in their pool.
I play for fun

Why not add?

I'd like to keep the creature count at a minimum. Maybe I can do a 50/50 split of Dragonauts and this Cyclops, but for my deck, this is quite a bit better than Dragonauts. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Quite solid.
I will almost always draft this in limited, a wall that occasionally deals a ton of damage after you play removal.