4/17/2013 UR: "Barrin's Tall Tale"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
There's no way they would reuse an old character's name by accident... right...?

It's not like the world's supply of fantasy character names is exhausted
Seems that ol' Jace finally showed up. Good to see you again.
Poor chap...
I thought Jace was starting to like him. I mean, him and all his admirable qualities...
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
clicked on the article expecting to read a short story about one of my favorite blue mages...

was disappointed to find out it is not...
Abbot Pheldy OSM Mafia Awards 2010 Most Unique Playstyle Designer of Game of the Year 2010 Designer of Most Flavorful Game My achievements random hum
I also found it weird that they used Barrin's name. Good story though. I love the way the Dimir are portayed in this. Something goes wrong, "it must have been the Dimir".

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
welllll, it kinda would be like thinking there is only ONE Squee or Teferi or Volrath in all the Multiverse...true they may be Legendary type folks but no one confuses me with Kevin Bacon...btw my name is Kevin lol and if i coulda chosen a last name Bacon would rank up there...as to why or whatever it didn't take from story...although wondering if another version of Jace is coming did...a lil
welllll, it kinda would be like thinking there is only ONE Squee or Teferi or Volrath in all the Multiverse...true they may be Legendary type folks but no one confuses me with Kevin Bacon...btw my name is Kevin lol and if i coulda chosen a last name Bacon would rank up there...as to why or whatever it didn't take from story...although wondering if another version of Jace is coming did...a lil

When you're writing fluff for Magic, you can't throw around those names and not expect them to evoke those old characters.
well since orginal Barrin in waaaay old...yes,yes you can. do not see why this is causing such a stir...been playing since revised and i simply took as a nod not a "OMFG what have they done!!!"  planeswalkers i cannot even see that being done since most start out as typical folks who snap their Spark...and nothing wrong with evoking thoughts...just no need to assume one person in all the Multiverse can have that one name. thought that is what last names were for,to differentiate
1: You are right that it was not per se, wrong, to use the name Barrin. On the other hand, there are some people out here (like me), that keep on thinking of the protagonist of this little story as an old bearded wizard... That doesn't do the character good. In this case it detracts from the story for a group of people and something like that might be a consideration for a writer.

2: Wait, Jace is going to run the maze? This will get interesting
Title of the article should have been "Grevik's Tall Tale".  I don't mind that the character is named "Barrin" and after reading the first couple of paragraphs you can tell he isn't the wizard we know of.  But having the title as is brings up memories of the original Barrin.  And after seeing the title in the list of forums for a couple of days I kind of got my hopes up for a story related to the original Barrin, though I was skeptical considering that this is a Ravnica block.

All that aside, nice story. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Great artwork, fun story, dull card.

2: Wait, Jace is going to run the maze? This will get interesting

Not exactly new information (see: The Secretist), but it's good to see it shown in a freely available source.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I haven't read the first two books yet. I've bought them already but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Great artwork, fun story, dull card.

I'll gladly take all of your copies off your hands, this card is making me all sorts of excited! It looks like it will rank up there with Sea Gate Oracle on my list of favorite cards.
I guess this is a little taste of between Part 2 and 3.
Happy National Unexciting Spoiler Card Day everybody! I hope you're all celebrating in the traditional manner... by sitting at home NOT thinking up new deck lists and wondering if we'll see something worth our time tomorrow. A cycle of overcosted commons, and then this? Is this supposed to be a replacement for Ponder? Are today's spoilers supposed to whet our appetites for the new set? We'll call it a wash for today. BTW, the article referred to loxodons as is there commonplace in Ravnica. But I can only think of one from this block off the top of my head and two from the original Ravnica block. Does anyone know if loxodons are more common in the books?
Happy National Unexciting Spoiler Card Day everybody! I hope you're all celebrating in the traditional manner... by sitting at home NOT thinking up new deck lists and wondering if we'll see something worth our time tomorrow. A cycle of overcosted commons, and then this? Is this supposed to be a replacement for Ponder? Are today's spoilers supposed to whet our appetites for the new set? We'll call it a wash for today. BTW, the article referred to loxodons as is there commonplace in Ravnica. But I can only think of one from this block off the top of my head and two from the original Ravnica block. Does anyone know if loxodons are more common in the books?

The original Ravnica novel featured a loxodon, Saint Bayul, as an assassination target. Not common, but somewhat prominent.
BTW, the article referred to loxodons as is there commonplace in Ravnica. But I can only think of one from this block off the top of my head and two from the original Ravnica block. Does anyone know if loxodons are more common in the books?

Loxodons are far from uncommon on Ravnica. They  probably tend to show up less on the cards because they need a rather high power and toughness, but this says nothing about their Ravnican population. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I liked this story a lot (and the Barrin name) and I hope they keep choosing cards that “advance” the plot.

I have been reading the uncharted realms for only a few weeks and it seems to me like they are not only telling the card's story. They are also telling the expansion story with it. If that is the case I am very happy with that approach.

I did read all the Urza’s related novels but I don’t always have the time to read all the expansions novels anymore. However the 5 to 10 minutes it takes to read (and enjoy the art) the uncharted realms are helping me to understand the plot behind the upcoming expansion. Thanks a lot!