Occupy YMTC, flavorful designs

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ladies. Gentlemen. Eldritch fire horrors.

We have a duty this week.
The YMTC rules text submissions have opened, and as much as it pains me to say, I suspect that they will be flooded by tournament playing yahoos who have never had an original thought in their entire lives submitting an endless stream of completely lifeless necropotence and raise dead variants.

As a playerbase, we deserve better.

That's where you, my fellow vorthos, come in.
Together, we can, drown R&D with so many cool interesting flavorfully designs that they won't ever consider making yet another necropotence or raise dead variant.

One day, you can look your squishy little grandkids in their cold, dead little eyes and tell them that on that day.

You fought for justice. 
I would love to, but I am not an American (or non-Quebec Canadian) resident, so I can't!

I actually been trying to think of something flavorful all morning.

I'm trying my damnedest to work out how to do a fixed and top down version of Night Dealings.

My submission was supposed to be a top-down throwback to Yawgmoth's participation in the Invasion:

Tenebrous Blight
Enchantment
Each land is a swamp in addition to its normal types and has ': Target non-black creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.'

It was made to help out Mono-Black control decks, be interesting in Multiplayer matches, and be somewhat useless in mirror matches.  I don't think it will get too far, but my heart wasn't set on a black card when I went into the thing.  I'm still a bit sad Red didn't win the color vote.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

You know I had one too, but it's too similiar to grave betrayal in my opinion.

IMAGE(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/geto/YawgmothsLegacy.jpg)

While we are here....

I had a cycle of these, but I guess the other three weren't online.

IMAGE(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/geto/SerrasLegacy.jpg)
I got it!
I'm not the greatest at card design, but this is what I came up with. I was kind of inspired by the 'Champion' mechanic. Needs quite a bit of tweakage, but I'm intrigued by the idea. Too wordy?

Breath of Midnight

When Breath of Midnight enters the Battlefield, exile target creature you control, then put a 2/2 Black Spirit Creature token with lifelink onto the Battlefield.

Pay one life: Target creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

When Breath of Midnight leaves the Battlefield, return the exiled creature to the Battlefield under your control.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

This was mine

At the beginning of each end step, if a player has 13 life that player loses the game.

@Thoctar: I love it. If you make a complete design (that is, give it a name and mana cost and write out the full template) I want to nominate you for Card of the Week over in YMTC. That's how much I love it.
I submitted a top-down Black Hole.  Permanents fall in, it gets (Gravity, in my rules text) counters, players lose life based on counters

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

@Thoctar: I love it. If you make a complete design (that is, give it a name and mana cost and write out the full template) I want to nominate you for Card of the Week over in YMTC. That's how much I love it.

:D

Ill Tidings

Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, if a player has 13 life that player loses the game.

Nominated.

I can't join (Not in the US), but I'll try to think of something. Maybe someone will steal my idea. 

I do find Enchantments pretty hard to create (and I'm not a very good designer to begin with).

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Hey, Yxoque. I'll enter for you if you want.
Yeah anyone who can't enter I will enter in your place if you want the idea out there. 

I have a hard time designing for this as Black is probably my least favorite monocolor because I find a lot of what it does uncompelling. If it mixes with other colors that can be different.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
ITT: Friendship is Magic.
Hey, Yxoque. I'll enter for you if you want.

That would be great. If I come up with something, I'll post it here.

I'm currently working on something, but I'm still fine-tuning the concept. I want to show that ambition doesn't need to be evil, which is a side of Black that doesn't come up very often. But it's hard to do, since ambition (or personal growth) in Magic is often represented by card advantage, and the best card advantage in Black generally means hurting yourself. And auto-mutilation isn't generally on the "good" side of things.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I love you guys.

Yeah, I'm honestly having a tough time coming up with anything, considering the lack of a name and art to bring the concept together... I don't think the winning card will be very cohesive.

I love your idea though, Thoctar. That's beautiful. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
fwiw, I said screw it to the natonal restrictions and submitted

Analysis Paralysis
At the beginning of each players upkeep, if that players hand is empty, he or she draws a card. Otherwise, that player discards a card.

So yeah, here's to hoping it passes through and I get into legal issues.
Not that it's a very top-down design, but from me, that should come as no surprise.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I love you guys.

Yeah, I'm honestly having a tough time coming up with anything, considering the lack of a name and art to bring the concept together... I don't think the winning card will be very cohesive.

I love your idea though, Thoctar. That's beautiful. 

Thats the problem with doing top down designs for this type of contest: Since it's done peicemeal the ability can get lost in translation easily, if it's even voted for to begin with (as it will be harder to grok without the context and may seem out of color).
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
After some debate I will actually post my full design

Black Hole
At the beginning of each end step, each player exiles a permanent he or she controls other than black hole.  Put a gravity counter on black hole for each permanent exiled this way
At the beginning of each upkeep, each player loses 1 life for each gravity counter on Black Hole

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

I just had an idea, but it's not the greatest, nor is it about Black not being evil. It is top-down, though. Someone is free to steal use it, though.

Cover of Darkness [mana (probably around :5:]

Enchantment

Each land is a Swamp in addition to its other land types.

Creatures you control have Swampwalk

I'm kind of sad that I already submitted mine.  I've got a fun idea for a black sweeper enchantment now:

Profane Circle 
Enchantment
Sacrifice five creatures: Destroy all creatures, they can't be regenerated.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Well, the submission site doesn't prevent more than one submission even though they say they only take one per person.
Go ahead and submit the new one, if you're lucky, they'll count your most recent submission.

Nah, the rules are pretty clear that if you submit more than one, they'll only take the first one.  I'll just have my girlfriend do it as her submission later.  She didn't plan on entering anyway.

At the beginning of each opponents upkeep that player loses 2 life for each enchantment he or she controls.

Because colors shouldn't have 0 answers to permanent types. 

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

Make it each player.
Black's all about having downsides to powerful effects. 
Make it each player.
Black's all about having downsides to powerful effects. 

Downsides don't exist in the current age of TIMMY magic.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

Doesn't mean you shouldn't design it that way.

Either way, it sounds like they're more concerned about the general idea of the rules text than the fine details this round. 
Blood Circle
Enchantment

Spells you play cost less to cast for each creature that died this turn.

The ichor soaked the runes, weakening the very fabric of reality. Through dying eyes, Dendry watched in horror as something began to step through...

Does this count? Not that I can submit, due to the Atlantic Ocean.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Which do you think is most flavorful? Demonic Bargain is my pick. 

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Consuming Contract had me rolling my eyes until I saw the "you loose the game" clause.
Now its one of my favorites.

Double Down is neat, but a flavor dead zone.

Blood in the Watering Can might be the best name for anything ever; even more so than previous Best-Card-Name-Ever Grand Champion of the Universe; Gigantomancer, but there is no resonant connection between the name and the effect.

Mass Mummification appears to be a Lich variant for all players. I rather like it.

Soulfeaster's Rising is fine, but the given numbers are a bit arbitrary and I feel like it would be that way no matter what. That being said, I think I'd like it more if there was a correlation between the number of creatures exiled, or the combined size or something like that and the size of the demon.

Revenge of Necromancy's name doesn't make much sense to me though, but the effect is flavorful enough.

Eldritch Rites is okay, but I feel like it has potential with a good piece of art and/or flavor text.

Demonic Bargain is fantastic.

I want Eldritch Rites narrowly over Demonic Bargain/  They're both great, but I'm sick and tired of "Big doodz" design, which ruled out soulfeaster and made Eldritch run out over Demonic.

Mass Mummification is also a mean combo with Hidetsugu's Second Rite. Drop Mummification, survive three turns. Win unless your opponent has a way to change their life total during your upkeep.
Consuming Contract is winning it for me in the flavor department.

None of the others exactly lit my fire, though. Watering Can was just a huge disappointment Such a good name, so little done with it...!www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/122...
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I voted Contract, Watering Can, Necromancy, Rites. Revenge of Necromancy and Eldritch Rites were my favorites of the bunch.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com