Critical Maneuvers (P.E.A.C.H.)

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone. I was reading a d&d webcomic the other day and the DM of the particular group came up with this idea for his group. And I figured I'd try to come up with a similar idea, but flesh it out more and make it a bit more balanced than it was in the comic.

So I'll post the rules here as well as a first draft of the lvl 1 manuevers for classes i've come up with so far.

D&D 4e
Critical Maneuver Rules

A character gains a critical maneuver at 1st, 10th, 20th, and 30th level.

A new critical maneuver replaces an old one.

Using Critical Maneuvers

During combat, when a character rolls a natural 20 on the die, they can chose to activate a critical maneuver as a free action. A critical maneuver effect happens after the original attack ends. A character must spend an Action Point to use a critical maneuver, and they may only use 1 critical maneuver per encounter.

Class Critical Maneuvers

Fighter - Fighter's Fury - The Fighter makes a number of basic attacks against any adjacent enemies equal to his STR modifier.

Rogue - Darting Slash - The Rogue shifts his speed. During his shift he may deal sneak attack damage to a number of enemies equal to their DEX mod. You may shift through difficult terrain and enemies for this action.

Cleric - Deific Blessing - The Cleric grants a healing surge to every ally within eyesight.

Wizard - Arcane Manipulation - The wizard's ranged attacks become close burst 1, and close burst and blasts increase size by 1. This effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the Wizard's INT modifier.

Bard - Song of Confusion - The Bard causes all enemies within 10 squares to be dazed for a number of turns equal to there CHA modifier.

Paladin - Armor of Faith - The Paladin Gains Resist 10 for a number of turns equal to there STR or CHA modifier.

Warlock - Pactlord's Power - The Warlock may reroll all damage dice on a 3 or lower and gains a bonus to damage equal to double your CHA modifer. This effect lasts a number of turns equal to there CHA modifier.

Ranger - Hunter's Eye - The Ranger may add double there STR or DEX modifier to attack rolls for a number of turns equal to there STR or DEX modifier.

Sorcerer - Bloodline Strength - The Sorcerer adds 1 more dice to their powers for a number of turns equal to there CHA modifier.

Druid - Force of Nature - The Druid summons a large primal guardian that lasts for a number of turns equal to there WIS modifier. The guardian takes no damage from attacks, and shares actions with the Druid. druid powers can originate from it.

Assassin - Death Dealer - The Assassin deals max damage to a number of targets equal to there DEX modifier.

Barbarian - Beastly Rage - The Barbarian can score a critical hit on a roll of 15-20 for a number of attacks equal to there STR modifier.

Avenger - Righteous Slayer - . The Avenger gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls against their oath of enemity target equal to double their WIS modifier for a number of turns equal to their WIS modifier.

Monk - Path of One Thousand Fists - The Monk can Teleport a number of times and a number of squares equal to their DEX modifier and make a flurry of blows attack against an adjacent enemy.

Hi, this seems like a good idea, and the feel for each individual maneuver is appropriate. However the implementation is lacking. Here is a few problem I see with it :

* Balance issue :
 -some of the maneuver seems a lot more powerfull than others (for instance the 2* stats to damage   for several round compared to increase of burst size or damage resistance)
 -some maneuver last for several rounds, whereas other affects several attacks
 -some directly comparable maneuver are strictly more powerfull than the other (ex warlock vs ranger)

*Some maneuver needs clarification (Assassin, fighter : can you attack same enemy multiple times, Monk : what does it mean to do a flurry of blow attack? )

*Introduce multiple rounds effect in 4e : there is a reason while all duration effect are either until end of next turn or with a save ends. It is because it is not easy to track effect that last for several turns. Maybe change the duration to sustain while you beat 10 on d20 + ability modifier roll ?

So  even though I think it is a good idea it needs refinement.

Hi, this seems like a good idea, and the feel for each individual maneuver is appropriate. However the implementation is lacking. Here is a few problem I see with it :

* Balance issue :
 -some of the maneuver seems a lot more powerfull than others (for instance the 2* stats to damage   for several round compared to increase of burst size or damage resistance)
 -some maneuver last for several rounds, whereas other affects several attacks
 -some directly comparable maneuver are strictly more powerfull than the other (ex warlock vs ranger)

*Some maneuver needs clarification (Assassin, fighter : can you attack same enemy multiple times, Monk : what does it mean to do a flurry of blow attack? )

*Introduce multiple rounds effect in 4e : there is a reason while all duration effect are either until end of next turn or with a save ends. It is because it is not easy to track effect that last for several turns. Maybe change the duration to sustain while you beat 10 on d20 + ability modifier roll ?

So  even though I think it is a good idea it needs refinement.

I completely agree that they need to balanced, but I will clarify something right now. These are actually meant to be a bit broken. They're meant to act like Final Fantasy Limit Breaks, and all of these maneuvers were written as rough drafts at best, and more based off of fluff then actual crunch or playtest. I'm still going to iron out the kinks of the system I just dont have anyway of knowing if its balanced or not with out testing it in a game.

If anyone has any idea how to balance these I'd be all easrs so to speak. but im just one man.

The fighter one sounds hilariously OP.

If a fighter has a Str of 5, can he attack the same mob 5 times? If so, fighters beats everyone elses hands down.

The assassin on needs alot of clerification. There's no range or 'max damage of what' being specified.

The warlock one is also massively better than the sorceors. reroll 3's or lower, AND double cha damage? vs just 1 more dice?

I think you'd be better off making them class independant, and just having them selectable from a list. You could also seperate it by role, or role + weapon or implement.  As you level up, maybe you can pick others from the list.

Note that despite being first level only, these already scale with level due to being based on ability scores.     
The fighter one sounds hilariously OP.

If a fighter has a Str of 5, can he attack the same mob 5 times? If so, fighters beats everyone elses hands down.

The assassin on needs alot of clerification. There's no range or 'max damage of what' being specified.

The warlock one is also massively better than the sorceors. reroll 3's or lower, AND double cha damage? vs just 1 more dice?

I think you'd be better off making them class independant, and just having them selectable from a list. You could also seperate it by role, or role + weapon or implement.  As you level up, maybe you can pick others from the list.

Note that despite being first level only, these already scale with level due to being based on ability scores.     

OK yet again I will state. These are meant to be a bit OP. though I have yet to see anyone come up with any advice on balancing them. I haven't used them yet and this is still only a first draft. but how would any of you suggest balancing them while still making them flavoredful for each class.

ok, i would say, have them rest a turn.

or, 20 could be an instant kill at cost of action point.

or allow them to choose, auto dodge/block vs auto hit next enemy

Fighter - Fighter's Fury - The Fighter makes one extra basic attacks against any adjacent enemies equal to his STR modifier.

Rogue - Darting Slash - The Rogue shifts his speed. During his shift he may attack a number of enemies equal to his DEX mod. You may not shift through difficult terrain or enemies for this action.

Cleric - Deific Blessing - The Cleric grants a healing surge to every ally within close burst 5 range.

Wizard - Arcane Manipulation - The wizard's close burst and blasts increase size by 1. for next d4 turns

Bard - eureka - The Bard has a choice in which song he rembers from the list of avalible song of his level for next song he uses.

Paladin - Armor of Faith - The Paladin close burst 1 a Resist damage aura to himself and allys equal to there STR or CHA modifier.

Warlock - warlord games - The Warlock and all his allys can shift 2 spaces asap

Ranger - Hunter's Eye - auto hit next few targets 

Sorcerer - Bloodline Strength - The Sorcerer unleashes either a close burst 2 attack or a blast 3 attack dealing crit damage if it hits

Druid - Force of Nature - The Druid summons a large primal guardian that is a x hit minion (x= WIS modifier. The guardian  shares actions with the Druid. druid powers can originate from it.) it leaves as it job is complete. dm decides.

Assassin - shadow fiend - The Assassin deals damage to a number of targets in weapon range equal to there DEX modifier. or becomes conceled until he moves again

Barbarian - carnial fury - The Barbarian increases speed by 2, accuracy goes down by 2 but damage rases by 5. during next rage, does not stack 

Avenger - Righteous Slayer - . The Avenger gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls against most damageing enemy target equal to double their WIS modifier for a number of turns equal to their WIS modifier.

Monk - Path of One Thousand Fists - The Monk can slow time disarm, grapple or sunder an enemy with next attack. his choice.

Troll king

ok, i would say, have them rest a turn.

or, 20 could be an instant kill at cost of action point. (Ok this could end up being even more OP depending upon the target Ex. Boss monsters and such)

or allow them to choose, auto dodge/block vs auto hit next enemy

Fighter - Fighter's Fury - The Fighter makes one extra basic attacks against any adjacent enemies equal to his STR modifier. (good)

Rogue - Darting Slash - The Rogue shifts his speed. During his shift he may attack a number of enemies equal to his DEX mod. You may not shift through difficult terrain or enemies for this action. (cool)

Cleric - Deific Blessing - The Cleric grants a healing surge to every ally within close burst 5 range.
(OK same effect just smaller area)

Wizard - Arcane Manipulation - The wizard's close burst and blasts increase size by 1. for next d4 turns (Not arguing. though id say 1d4+1)

Bard - Eureka - The Bard has a choice in which song he rembers from the list of avalible song of his level for next song he uses. (what songs would they be exactly? and waht do they do.)

Paladin - Armor of Faith - The Paladin close burst 1 a Resist damage aura to himself and allys equal to there STR or CHA modifier. (Ok how long does it last)

Warlock - warlock games - The Warlock and all his allys can shift 2 spaces (Ok. this is weak. Especially compared to other things)

Ranger - Hunter's Eye - auto hit next few targets (How many?)

Sorcerer - Bloodline Strength - The Sorcerer unleashes either a close burst 2 attack or a blast 3 attack dealing crit damage if it hits (Ok seems cool enough to me)

Druid - Force of Nature - The Druid summons a large primal guardian that is a x hit minion (x= WIS modifier. The guardian  shares actions with the Druid. druid powers can originate from it.) it leaves as it job is complete. dm decides. (Easy and cool)

Assassin - shadow fiend - The Assassin deals damage to a number of targets in weapon range equal to there DEX modifier. or becomes concealed until he moves again (K sounds decent enough though these are still kinda weak)

Barbarian - carnial fury - The Barbarian increases speed by 2, accuracy goes down by 2 but damage rases by 5. during next rage, does not stack (not to thrilled with this. if its gonna be awesome their shouldnt be a penalty)

Avenger - Righteous Slayer - . The Avenger gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls against most damageing enemy target equal to double their WIS modifier for a number of turns equal to their WIS modifier. (I'd say just make this target the oath of enimity targets and it'd be better)

Monk - Path of One Thousand Fists - The Monk can slow time disarm, grapple or sunder an enemy with next attack. his choice. (Only issue with this is disarms and sunders don't really exist in the mechanics of 4e)

(Comments posted in parenthesis above)

ok this is a good start. Though some of these are a bit weak for something meant to feel like a limit break imho.

This is also meant for 4th edition so some of these actions aren't really going to translate well. I'll tweek with it and see if we can go from here

Fighter - Fighter's Fury - The Fighter makes one extra basic attack against a number of adjacent enemies equal to his STR modifier.

Rogue - Darting Slash - The Rogue shifts his speed. During his shift he may attack a number of enemies equal to his DEX mod. You may not shift through difficult terrain or enemies for this action.

Cleric - Deific Blessing - The Cleric grants a healing surge to every ally within Close burst 5 range.

Wizard - Arcane Manipulation - The wizard's close burst and blasts increase size by 1 for a number of rounds equal to 1d4+1

Bard - Eureka - The Bard strums a cord that taps into the strings of fate allowing him to target all enemies within a Close Burst 5 with a single debilitating effect chosen at random. Roll 1d4. All effects are save ends.

1. Dazed
2. Immobilized
3. Blinded and Deafened
4. Weakened

Paladin - Armor of Faith - The Paladin gains an Aura 1. The aura grants Resist equal to their STR or CHA modifier for the and their allies for a number of turns equal to either modifier.

Warlock - Pactlord Games -  The Warlock chooses a number of enemies and allies equal to their CHA modifier and can teleport them a number of squares equal to their CHA modifer.

Ranger - Hunter's Eye - The ranger gains a +10 to their attack rolls for a number of attacks equal to their STR or DEX modifier.

Sorcerer - Bloodline Strength - The Sorcerer can maximize the damage of one damage dice roll for a number of turns equal to their CHA modifier.

Druid - Force of Nature - The Druid summons a large primal guardian that is can take a number of hits equal to the Druids WIS modifier. The guardian shares actions with the Druid. druid powers can originate from it. The creature lasts for a number of turns equal to Druid's WIS modifier.

Assassin - Fiend of Shadows - The Assassin deals 2x DEX modifier damage to enemies within a Close burst 5. After the attack the assassin becomes insubstantial for a number of turns equal to their DEX modifier.

Barbarian - Carnial Fury - The Barbarian gains +2 speed and +5 damage for a number of turns equal to their STR modifier. If the Barbarian is raging the damage bonus increases to +10

Avenger - Righteous Slayer - The Avenger gains a +5 bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to against their Oath of Enimity target for a number of rounds equal to their WIS modifier

Monk - Path of One Thousand Fists - The Monk can teleport a number of squares equal to their Speed + DEX modifier and make a number of flurry of blows attacks against a number of enemies equal to their DEX modifier.

Little bit more clear on phrasing. and I think these are bit better balanced while still being awesome and worthy.
Warlord - warlord games - The Warlord and all his allys can shift 2 spaces asap

sorry i said warlock origionaly lol. 

warlock- infernal explosion- each ally gains a life drain effect to there attacks. 

Troll king

Warlord - warlord games - The Warlord and all his allys can shift 2 spaces asap

sorry i said warlock origionaly lol. 

warlock- infernal explosion- each ally gains a life drain effect to there attacks. 

That's fine. though the other warlock power doesn't translate well to 4e.

Warlord - Commander's Orders - The Warlord and all allies within a Close burst 5 may shift a number of squares equal to the Warlord's STR modifier towards the closest enemy. They then make a melee or ranged basic attack against the closest enemy with a bonus to the attack roll equal to the Warlord's STR modifier.
You could simplify it considerably by power source instead of individual classes:

Martial classes that crit = target is dazed until end of the hero's next turn.
Divine classes that crit = Target takes extra Radiant and Necrotic damage equal to the level of the hero.
Primal classes that crit = target is knocked prone and immobilized until end of hero's next turn.
Arcane classes that crit = target is deafened and blinded until the end of hero's next turn.
Psionic classes that crit = Upgrade the power's augment (that hit) 1 step for free immediately.
Shadow classes that crit = target and enemies adjacent to target grant CA until end of hero's next turn and are at a -2 penalty to their next attack.

Create some cool names for the crits! 
You could simplify it considerably by power source instead of individual classes:

Divine classes that crit = Target takes extra Radiant and Necrotic damage equal to the level of the hero.
Primal classes that crit = target is knocked prone and immobilized until end of hero's next turn.
Arcane classes that crit = target is deafened and blinded until the end of hero's next turn.
Psionic classes that crit = Upgrade the power's augment (that hit) 1 step for free immediately.
Shadow classes that crit = target and enemies adjacent to target grant CA until end of hero's next turn and are at a -2 penalty to their next attack.

Not arguing the idea. but it just seems to lack a bit of individualty in my mind. though its a good place to start from.

Not arguing the idea. but it just seems to lack a bit of individualty in my mind. though its a good place to start from.

...Or just come up with player character specific crit effects. That way you only have to come up with about 5-6 different ones, and if 2 people are both playing fighter, you can have their crits be different...customized for their character.

...Or just come up with player character specific crit effects. That way you only have to come up with about 5-6 different ones, and if 2 people are both playing fighter, you can have their crits be different...customized for their character.

Yea that could work i suppose. Truthfully im still gonna attempt to come up with some sort of tier to these things. maybe you gain a new one per tier. or maybe I can allow the players to create their own by finding a master (similiar to grandmaster training) ill roll the ideas around a bit and see what i come up with.