New player starting at Paragon level!

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone! 

I've just recently gotten into D&D and played my first game last weekend at a meetup group!
I've been invited to a new campaign that's just beginning which is perfect as I didn't really want to play half way through a story! The only problem is the DM doesn't really want new players to slow it down so we have to do our homework so we can sort of hit the ground running. Especially as the campaign begins at level 12.

So I've been building my first character... I just wanted to make sure it was half decent so I don't take it in and embarass myself and thought you guys could help me

A few questions I had on my mind were, why would I ever use a basic attack if I have at will actions? 
And also is there any benefit to me by dual wielding daggers? I'm not completely sure I understand what happens when I have another dagger in my off hand. 

There were also a few things that struck me as odd... is my hp normal to be at that level? And in the case of twin strike should I choose something else? It doesn't seem to do much damage! Any pointers you can think of would be really helpful!

Here is my character, he's a half-elf rogue.  Thanks in advance!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Shen, level 12
Half-Elf, Rogue, Daggermaster
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Rogue: Rogue Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 20, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 12, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 15.

AC: 21 Fort: 19 Reflex: 23 Will: 20
HP: 83 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +16, Thievery +16, Perception +10, Intimidate +15, Acrobatics +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +9, Heal +5, History +6, Insight +7, Nature +5, Religion +6, Streetwise +10, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 4: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 6: Skill Training (Diplomacy)
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 10: Improved Initiative
Level 11: Expert Sneak
Level 12: Deft Blade

POWERS
Dilettante: Twin Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Acrobatic Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue encounter 1: Dazing Strike
Rogue daily 1: Press the Advantage
Rogue utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Rogue encounter 3: Low Slash
Rogue daily 5: Bloodbath
Rogue utility 6: Ignoble Escape
Rogue encounter 7: Killer's Ambush
Rogue daily 9: Knockout
Rogue utility 10: Gap in the Armor

ITEMS

I'd say you should not be playing 12th level as a newbie for several reasons, and that the campaign should not start there, the odds are waiting for the perfect campaign is going to mean a lot of time not playing, and an inferior option is better than none.  Still you should be looking for where you can play at 1st level.
    I do not have a paragon rogue, and have not done all that well with rogues anyway, so You are likely better off reading the optimization thread than reading any suggestions I might make.
The only problem is the DM doesn't really want new players to slow it down so we have to do our homework so we can sort of hit the ground running. Especially as the campaign begins at level 12.

D&D is not a terribly difficult game to jump in and play (at least, at this moment in history), but 12th level is a lot to keep track of compared to first.  Good luck. ;)  

So I've been building my first character... I just wanted to make sure it was half decent so I don't take it in and embarass myself and thought you guys could help me

Making a half-decent character is pretty easy.  Half-elf is an OK race for your rogue (a race with a bonus to both DEX & CHA, and there are several, would be optimal).  Your stats are fine, your feats are mostly solid (skill training is generally considered 'weak' because a multi-class feat can almost always get you the same skill plus other benefits - but it's not going to gimp you or anything).   Some of your power choices are better suited to other builds than the Artful Dodger, but, again, that's not going to particularly hurt you.

You definitely need to pick items, remembering to get a magic weapon, armor, and 'neck slot' item as these are required to keep your attacks, AC and defenses up to snuff.  You should get a 13th, 12th and 11th level item when starting at this level, plus gold to buy lower level items (you can go nuts doing that, btw, and fill all your 'slots' with cheap low-heroic items, for instance).

And also is there any benefit to me by dual wielding daggers? I'm not completely sure I understand what happens when I have another dagger in my off hand. 

Not really, no.  Unless you have feats, like Two Weapon Fighting and Two Weapon defense, in which case the benefits are small bonuses with your attacks.  

Twin Strike does give you something to do with a pair of daggers, though.  

And, if both daggers are magical, the 'property' (some items have properties that are active when you're holding them, whether you technically attack with them or not) of a lower-level, lower-enhancement-bonus off-hand weapon can make holding it worthwhile, too.  

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

You may wish to post in CharOP and read the Rogue Handbook there.

At a quick glance, change to half-orc (str-dex) and then make yourself dex primary, str secondary and brutal scoundrel. This also saves you the feat of melee training. 

You want a frost weapon and lasting frost and icy heart. Take light blade expertise rather than weapon expertise (light blade). You want two weapon fighting and two weapon opening. Also change Killer's Ambush to Circling Predator. 

The reason you want MBAs is for charges/OAs/granted attacks.

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Worth noting: Daggermaster's expanded crits feature only triggers on Rogue and Daggermaster attacks - using Twin Strike is unusually, counterproductive.  You may even be better off with the alternative racial from Essentials over Dilettante in this case.

You generally won't use basic attacks unless something causes you to do so - an enemy provoking an opportunity attack, for instance, or your Warlord granting you an attack - at-will powers are there for a reason.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks for the help everyone

Here is my updated build, I switched to human, I'm not too bothered about choosing the *best* race as I also want to RP my character how I want.

Got items included this time too. What do you think? There's gonna be so much to keep track of so I can imagine it's going to be difficult... does anyone have any tips as to how I should generally approach encounters? Any basic tactics that I should use? Thanks again everyone!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Shen, level 12
Human, Rogue, Daggermaster
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Rogue: Rogue Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 20, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 17.

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Reflex: 28 Will: 24
HP: 80 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Stealth +21, Thievery +17, Perception +11, Intimidate +17, Acrobatics +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +7, Heal +6, History +6, Insight +6, Nature +6, Religion +6, Streetwise +10

FEATS
Human: Swift Footwork
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 4: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 6: Bardic Dilettante
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 10: Improved Initiative
Level 11: Expert Sneak
Level 12: Seize the Moment

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Deft Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue at-will 1: Acrobatic Strike
Rogue encounter 1: Dazing Strike
Rogue daily 1: Press the Advantage
Rogue utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Rogue encounter 3: Low Slash
Rogue daily 5: Bloodbath
Rogue utility 6: Ignoble Escape
Rogue encounter 7: Circling Predator
Rogue daily 9: Knockout
Rogue utility 10: Gap in the Armor

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Amulet of Protection +3, Vicious Dagger +3, Shadowflow Drowmesh +3, Climber's Kit, Disguise Kit, Footpads, Camouflaged Clothing, Luckblade Dagger +1, Circlet of Authority (heroic tier), Feyleaf Vambraces (heroic tier), Burglar's Gloves (heroic tier), Belt of Resilience (heroic tier), Boots of Stealth (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

If you have free choice of items, pick up babau gauntlets, and take something else instead of melee training.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Oh hold on am I not allowed magic items other than 11,12 and 13? Do I need to remove the other stuff? Rules are standard
Oh hold on am I not allowed magic items other than 11,12 and 13? Do I need to remove the other stuff? Rules are standard

You get one magic item of your level+1, one magic item of your level, one magic item of your level -1, and gold equal to the value of a magic item of your level-1 to spend as you see fit (typically on other magic items).
Ah, got it, thanks.

I can't find Babau gauntlets on The character creator however.

Light blade expertise obseletes weapon expertise (light blade).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Light blade expertise obseletes weapon expertise (light blade).

By that he means "Take LBE instead of Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)"
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Ah, got it, thanks.

I can't find Babau gauntlets on The character creator however.

They may not have made it on yet - 9th level hands slot item.  If they haven't, they have a daily power which doesn't matter, and aproperty which say 'once per turn you can use DEX instead of STR for the attack and damage rolls of an MBA' or similar wording.

Unless you're going the permastealth route and getting lots of OAs, or uyou have an enabling leader who needs you to have a good MBA, there's little need for them, so far better to burn a relatively low-value slot, than a feat.

I'd also tend to take Heoric Effort over bonus at-will, unless you have a REALLY good reason to need the bonus at-will.  Being able to turn a miss into a hit 1/enc is much more likely to be useful, particularly on a Rogue who will usually be fairly sure that if they're missed on anythign other than a nat.1, +4 will turn it into a hit.  Rogues are usually that accurate.
First off, welcome to the forums and to the game!  

I don't think you need to bother with going to the char-op forums.  The character as you have him -- I'm assuming it's a him.  I didn't see a name -- is totally playable, will be effective on the battle field, and should be a lot of fun to roleplay.  You could certainly change around some powers if you wanted to, but know that everyone is going to have their own biases about that, myself included.  For instance, I prefer Trick Strike to Press the Advantage as your first level daily since it offers solid damage and opens up some really cool tactical possibilities.

As far as Melee Training goes, that feats usefullness seems pretty party dependent.  If the leader in your party is a warlord, for example, it's a great feat and can go a long way to ensuring you get your sneak attack damage in multiple times a round.  If you have a heal-bot cleric on the other hand, your feat may be better spent elsewhere.  

As far as beginning player tips goes, what are your plans for tracking your bonuses, imposed conditions, etc?  I recommend photocopying and printing all of your cards out, or making power cards to keep on hand.  You'll want to write in pencil your static bonus to hit, and your CA bonus to hit, as you'll almost always have combat advantage.  You'll also want to be sure you write down your AC v. OAs, and there's some strategy involved about when to eat one.  My basic rule of thumb is, if you can get to enemy next round with CA, and the monster can't get to you if you move -- say you're going to go hide behind the defender -- go ahead and eat the OA as you'll be harder to hit that way and even if you are the basic attack usually isn't as brutal as what team monster will try to put on the striker.

Happy gaming. 
@Jamie29h
Welcome to the hobby I can't believe no one has mentioned making a Thief instead of a Rogue! Thief is one of the "Essentials" classes which are designed with new players in mind, so there's less to keep track of. For example, the Thief focuses on melee basic attacks which get boosted by encounter power called "backstab" and some built-in hefty static damage bonuses, gets sneak attack, and melee training (Dex) for free, plus a whole host of cool movement powers.

I didn't see your build doing anything unusual, so a Thief should cover your bases pretty well. 

Check out the optimization guide for thieves over here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27050849/What_Is_Yours_Can_Be_Mine:_A_Thiefs_Handbook?pg=1
I have to concur with Aaronil. I just got done playing an Essentials Thief from levels 1 through 4. Essentials classes are much more refined and focused. As far as strikers are concerned, there's not much better than a Thief or Scout (ranger). That being said, play what you want. I would suggest, as this is a Paragon level campaign, that you utilize the time BETWEEN your turns well. Nothing sucks more than everyone in the group having to wait for 10 minutes while you pour over your character sheet to determine your next move. Basically, you have to start planning your next move as soon as you get done with your current turn. Additionally, it's a good idea to try and pay attention to how the fight is going so that your planned turn fits in with what the current situation is. It's kinda tricky, but totally do-able. At one point, I was running 3 non-Essentials characters in a campaign (2 players, one DM)! That's the definition of mentally exhausted.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

One thing with the Thief is it's a lot more one-trick-y. Even at paragon level, you'll be doing the same couple things over and over again. In a lot of ways, your complexity will be pretty similar to level 1.

This could be a good thing, especially as you're new to the edition. You have a lot of standard rules to get used to, and a simpler character that is still very effective could be a great way to go. With a Thief you basically have a bunch of at-will move actions that can grant you CA to get your sneak attack, and then you just have to worry about backstabbing several times per encounter (rather than waying 4 different encounter power options every turn), and calculating your MBA/RBA correctly (including CA/SA), which won't take you long to master.

Or if you're like me and need a ton of variety to mix things up, a Theif might be too simple. whatever works best for you.   
When you pick Daggermaster, you should really go Brutal Scoundrel (Dex/Str) with Riposte Strike + Vigilante Justice Style and park yourself next to your defender.
Oh and for the MBA thing: Rash and Reckless (rare,Feet) will let you substitute Dex for Str, as well and that without the /turn limit (that's not that much of a limit in most cases, tho).
I agree with the others that a Thief is probably a good way to go for a new player starting at level 12. Once you have a better grasp on the game, you can easily redo the character as a Rogue if you find you're getting bored.
Sign In to post comments