Missing Feats

We need more Feats!  Particularly non-combat feats.  What are your ideas?  

(Probably not even worth saying this, but if your favorite class is missing from Next please don't just copy and paste all the feats you've already proposed for this "new" class.  This is for feats for existing classes.)

Here are some of mine:

Spell Anticipation: Gives you a chance to recognize the spell that somebody else is casting (must be one you know, and requires a roll) and gives you Advantage on the save if you do.  (Maybe gives your party Advantage, too?  I.e., you shout out a warning.)  EDIT: Yes, as a reaction.

Quick: Increases your speed by 5 (10?) feet.

Feign Death: After taking damage, you have a chance to convince intelligent opponents (and maybe your party) that you are dead.  (Not clear to me why you'd need a Feat to do this, but thought I'd throw it in.)

Fearsome Roar: Uses your action.  Forces intelligent, unfriendly creatures within 25 feet to make a Wisdom check (DC = player level - opponent level, +2 for each opponent that has been defeated, -2 for each party member that has been defeated) or flee in terror for 3 rounds suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls for their next 3 turns.  If they fail by 10 or more they flee in terror for 3 rounds. 

Weapon Catch: (prerequisite: Dexterity 11+)  Once per round, when a thrown ranged weapon is targeted at you or somebody else within 5', you can use your reaction to attempt to catch it.  DC is the attack roll made by the attacker, +10, modified by your Dexterity bonus.

Backatcha: (prerequisite: Weapon Catch, Level 9)  When you succesfully catch a weapon, as part of the same reaction you can throw it back at the attacker, provided you have proficiency with that weapon.

Iron Fingers: (prerequisite: Martial Arts) You can make a jab attack that does Piercing rather than Bludgeoning Damage

Tiger Claw Strike: (prerequisite: Martial Arts) Your unarmed strike does Slashing rather than Bludgeoning Damage
"Therefore, you are the crapper, I'm merely the vessel through which you crap." -- akaddk

Low-Light Vision
Prerequisite: The ability to see
You gain low-light vision.

Darkvision
Prerequisite: Low-light vision
You gain darkvision.

Echolocation
By listening to the echoes of your own voice, you can sense the distance and general location of any object within 30'. This is usually good enough to fight in melee without penalty.

Tremorsense
You gain 30' tremorsense.

Taste Magic
You can identify any potion (or other edibles) by a small taste.

Master Taster
Requirement: Taste Magic feat
By consuming one serving of any potion (or other food), you can identify the recipe used to make it. With the right ingredients and enough time, you could reproduce any potion you drink.

Detect Magic
By handling an object, you can sense the magic on it, and identify the school of magic used to enchant it.

Scent
You can detect the presence and general direction of any creature with a scent within 30'. You can also track creatures by scent, as long as the trail is less than a day old.

Psychometry
By handling an object, you learn its age and the culture that made it, even if you have no prior knowledge of that culture. At the GM's discretion, some objects might have their true origins masked, requiring an Intelligence or Wisdom check to reveal the truth.

Stonesense
You know the general construction of any stone within 10' of you. This is usually enough to detect the presence of secret stone doors and traps, as well as permitting you to detect rooms on the other side of a stone wall. It is not enough to determine the exact workings of mechanical objects.

Combat Insight
By reading a target's body language and judging its injuries, you can determine how many hit points a creature has left.

Sense Power Level
You can sense the presence (but not the location) of creatures with at least as many hit dice as yourself. The radius may vary according to the specific creature involved at the GM's discretion, but the usual range of this feat is 30'.

Fire Spirit
You can detect the presence and general direction of any fire within 100' of you.

Spidersense
Once per day, when you make a poor decision, you can undo that decision, provided that you say "Spider senses tingling!" before the GM finishes telling you the results of your action. If it wasn't a poor decision, the GM may choose to tell you so. Or not.

Magnetoception
You always know which way is north. If something interferes with the local magnetic field, you know the direction to the source of that interference instead.

People Sense
When dealing with any sentient creature, you can use this ability to learn one obscure fact about that person, as determined by the GM. This fact may or may not have any bearing on your current situation.
Example facts include:
This person is a good violinist.
This person was bullied when they were young.
This person is a dabbler in magic.
This person is fireproof.
This ability only reveals one fact per person per week. This is a psychic mind-reading ability.

Really great ideas, Fimbria.  "Psychometry" I loved, although I might tweak it a little: "By holding and studying an object for 5 minutes, you see images from the memories of previous people who have held the same object."
"Therefore, you are the crapper, I'm merely the vessel through which you crap." -- akaddk
Good idea. That one came from a older version of the dwarves' stonesense, but they changed the wording so the satire is lost now.

I like Feign Death. Even if a GM would allow it as an improvisation (some wouldn't), most would require a contest to fool the opponent. The feat could grant automatic success that doesn't work twice against the same monster.

Spell Anticipation is a lot like Defensive Ward.

The designers did something like Weapon Catch in a previous packet, so it's probably coming back someday in some form. Catching arrows is too classic to ignore.

It's been a while since I sat down to make some fun feats. Let me make a few for the barbarian.

Hulk
Prerequisite: You must be able to rage.
While raging, you swap your Intelligence and Strength scores.

Elemental Form
Pick one of fire, cold, lightning, or acid, or another element with the GM's approval. While raging, you have resistance to that element.

Elemental Fury
Pick one of fire, cold, lightning, or acid, or another element with the GM's approval. While raging, your attacks can be of that element if you choose.

Elemental Bolts
Pick one of fire, cold, lightning, or acid, or another element with the GM's approval. While raging, you can use your action to fling bolts of that element. This bolt is treated as a finesse thrown weapon with range 30/60 that has a base damage of 1d6.
(It's a finesse weapon because someday, I hope to see a Dex-based barbarian. Scratching Cat style FTW.)

Clench
Any time you have a target grappled while you are raging, if you have not already used your rage damage bonus this turn, you may choose to deal your rage damage bonus to the target, with attack roll necessary. Doing this uses your rage damage bonus for this turn. You must still make an attack to sustain your rage.

Manic Episode
Pick one ability score. Once per day, you can enter a manic episode. In this state you have advantage on checks using that ability score. The manic episode ends if you do not use your action to make a check using that ability score. The manic episode also ends after 10 minutes or if you fall unconscious.

Collateral Damage
You can use your action to attack a target, and then attempt to break an object. If your attack hit the target, the object can be something the target is holding or wearing.

Dance Craze
If you are raging and you end your turn without having attacked a hostile creature, you can make a DC 10 Dexterity check. If you succeed, you can sustain your rage just as if you had made an attack.

And the one that gives me giggles...

Intimidate Magic Device
When you attempt to use a magic item that you normally cannot use because it requires you to be a member of a different class or race or to have a spellcasting ability that you lack, you can make a Strength check (DC 15). If you succeed, you can use that magic item despite not meeting its requirements. After you use it, or if you fail the check, the device becomes nonfunctional for 24 hours.

Elfcrusher - Spell Anticipation would be a Reaction, other than that it's great.

Fearsome Roar is too powerful, i'd scale it back to they get the Frightened condition, does not force them to drop weapons or flee, but still disadv to do physical tasks.

Iron Fingers and Tiger Claw Strike = Neat!

-

Fimbria - I like the concept behind many of these feats, however they seem more like racial abilities.

For people who want the game to have kid next day turns into a hero, they won't go for these higher powered stuff.

but i'm all for a module to add to feats or races to allow these in, for those who want a more higher powered game.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

Heavy Armor Training
General feat
You received additional training with armors
Benefit: You gain proficiency with light, medium
and heavy armors.

Shield Training
General feat
You received additional training with shields
Benefit: You gain proficiency with all shields, 
including the spiked shield weapon.

Martial Weapon Training
General feat
You received additional training with weapons
Benefit: You gain proficiency with all melee and
ranged martial weapons. 

Expert Languages Training
General feat
You received additional training with languages
Benefit: Select 3 languages that you do not know.
You can speak, read and wite them.
Special: You can select this feat multiple times,
but you must choose different languages each time. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

@Plaguescarred: Ooh, the classics! Can't imagine the game going out without those.

Fimbria - I like the concept behind many of these feats, however they seem more like racial abilities.

For people who want the game to have kid next day turns into a hero, they won't go for these higher powered stuff.

but i'm all for a module to add to feats or races to allow these in, for those who want a more higher powered game.

You mean the sensory feats? It's possible that my sense of what's high-powered is skewed - my last dozen sessions or so consisted of murderous monsters appearing at ten paces under good lighting conditions, with an occasional puzzle for the players thrown in. Exploratory features get sidelined under those conditions. Based on your own gaming history, how would you make a sensory-oriented feat that you would consider taking instead of a combat-centric feat?
i'd let people swop out some racial abilities, such as dwarven resilience for tremorsense

or you could make it part of a chain of feats, such as stonsense requires you to be 3rd, then tremorsense requires you to be 6th and have stonesense - so in this example you're aligning your training/soul/destiny with the element of earth

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

i'd let people swop out some racial abilities, such as dwarven resilience for tremorsense

That's sort of interesting....allow for some choice in racial bonuses, without having to multiply the sub-races.
Instead of the feat the OP proposed by the name of Quick, I just want to see the Fast Movement feat to return(it was in the January playtest packet for those of you who want to know - it added 10ft to movement)  Feats need to be utility both in and out of combat.  Some of the proposed feats in this thread seem to be more of a tax to PC's that don't get a lot of feats to begin with(Wizards for example).  The only classes that would likely find great benefit either in the current packet or in the next packet, would be the Rogue, Fighter and possibly one other class.

I am Blue/White

I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
While I have no problem with feats, I'm concerned that at this stage in the game the focus on feats is the wrong direction. I think all of the classes should be balanced WITHOUT FEATS and be distinct and well built classes. Add feats AFTER we get the classes reasonable finished. Ie.. don't take fighter abilities and put them into feats... yet. Keep them as fighter abilities until all of the classes are done THEN add feats or move abilitites into feats.

While I have no problem with feats, I'm concerned that at this stage in the game the focus on feats is the wrong direction. I think all of the classes should be balanced WITHOUT FEATS and be distinct and well built classes. Add feats AFTER we get the classes reasonable finished. Ie.. don't take fighter abilities and put them into feats... yet. Keep them as fighter abilities until all of the classes are done THEN add feats or move abilitites into feats.

I am in agreement with you here, I was upset when their march playtest packet changed the classes and they put feats in place of almost everything that made the classes what they were in january's packet...the April update to the packet didn't really change anything or my opinion on the "We're going this way" movement.

I am Blue/White

I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.