Battlemind Opportunity Attacks

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing a Dwarf Battlemind at 8th level. The class is pretty fine and I love playing him. The only problem I have is "Blurred Step"

The power states I can shift after a target that I have marked and that shifts. I've taken the feat that lets me teleport to a square adjacent to the target which is even better of course.
But what can I do when the target simply moves...? Pretty much nothing but a crappy opportunity attack which is not good because it uses strength and my primary ability is constitution.

Is there any way to power that up? Make the bastard that walks away pay dearly for it?

The only thing that I thought of is taking a feat that lets me use con for melee basic attacks. Can you guys think of anything else?

Thx!
Melee Training (Constitution) is one of few ways of fixing the problem of not having good opportunity attacks.
Other options are being a Half-Elf and getting Eldritch Strike, or the feat Heavy Blade Opportunity. 
You do not have to grab eldritch strike but you do have to grab a power that says "use as an melee basic attack."  There are quite a few options.  Pick one of your choice and get used to using it a lot because you will use it for OAs and for any warlord granted attack.
You could also take battlemind powers, like Twisted Eye (LV 1) or Ego Crush (LV 7), though both of them must be augmented 1, to use them as opportunity attack. Simply search the compendium for "Battlemind opportunity" or "battlemind basic" to find more powers this way.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

You do not have to grab eldritch strike but you do have to grab a power that says "use as an melee basic attack."  There are quite a few options.  Pick one of your choice and get used to using it a lot because you will use it for OAs and for any warlord granted attack.

When going the Half-Elf route, all he wants is Eldritch Strike, if he wants to save a feat and his MC slot. It's the only Con-based MBA and combined with Flail Expertise it's a total lockdown.
HBO on a battlemind can get silly at 13 when you BB as your OA.

You could also do melee training + generic flail tricks to prone with your MBA.

See the guide in my thread for further information. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

When going the Half-Elf route, all he wants is Eldritch Strike, if he wants to save a feat and his MC slot. It's the only Con-based MBA and combined with Flail Expertise it's a total lockdown.

I am very familiar with flail expertise and eldritch strike.  But the secondary stats for a battlemind are wis or cha.

Wis = overwhelming strike+power of skill
Cha = eldritch strike(not likely but possible), intent laid bare, virtuous strike(which does radiant damage)

I said there were options but I did not say they were better than eldritch strike.  Heck, if all he wants to do is prone, he could take intent laid bare or virtuous strike, add lashing flail, because they are melee basic attacks so they would slide 1, and then prone.  Not saying this is better either, just that there are options.    
You do know that Eldritch Strike can be CON-based, right?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
You could also take battlemind powers, like Twisted Eye (LV 1) or Ego Crush (LV 7), though both of them must be augmented 1, to use them as opportunity attack. Simply search the compendium for "Battlemind opportunity" or "battlemind basic" to find more powers this way.

For a heroic Dwarf, this is the best option. 
Yes I know that eldritch strike can be con-based.  It is why I said not likely but possible.
Yes I know that eldritch strike can be con-based.  It is why I said not likely but possible.

A Battlemind who takes Eldritch Strike and uses CHA is pretty much by definition doing it wrong.  It's a CON_based MBA, which is exactly what a BM needs.  Indeed, a Half-Elf BM grabbing anything other than ES is doing it wrong.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

So it is only "possible" to use a primary stat based power as an MBA that has an additional effect, can be used at will in paragon and fills the gap of not having a good MBA as this class?  I'm a bit curious as to what you think meets this prereq better (other than melee training in heroic).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Dwarf + Eldritch Strike = How?
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Dwarf + Eldritch Strike = How?

I'm sorry we werent spam quoting eachother, but at some point someone said "if you go with the half-elf option....." and then we were all replying to that.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

So it is only "possible" to use a primary stat based power as an MBA that has an additional effect, can be used at will in paragon and fills the gap of not having a good MBA as this class?  I'm a bit curious as to what you think meets this prereq better (other than melee training in heroic).

Not what I said in the slightest.  What I said was it was possible for a battlemind to have cha secondary and use eldritch strike off cha.

I mentioned 3 MBAs that use secondary stats for a battlemind.  Not once did I say they were better than eldritch strike.  And using 2 of them does not require using your MC at all.

But you're a Con-primary class. There is no reason to ever base ES off of anything but Con for a Battlemind.
What I said was it was possible for a battlemind to have cha secondary and use eldritch strike off cha.

Sure, and you can take 20 STR and 8 DEX on an Executioner and then base your MBA on DEX. You can do a lot of idiotic things, we don't bother mentioning most of them.
But you're a Con-primary class. There is no reason to ever base ES off of anything but Con for a Battlemind.

Half-elf Battlemind.  Con18 Cha18.  Is there anything wrong with this stat choice if eldritch strike was based off of cha if you kept it at the same rate as con?  Mechanics wise or anything else, is there anything different?  Other than it is not the primary stat?  If this is the situation, would it be "doing it wrong" to base eldritch strike off a stat that is exactly the same bonus all the time?  In this example, there is not a single time you would be raising con that you would NOT be raising cha at the same time.  So mathematically there is NO difference.  The only difference between the two is one is cON and the other cHA.

But wait, even then because it is not con based you are doing it wrong because you should be using con even if the numbers are exactly the same.

Though to cover every concievable option, I suppose you could miss out on a possible +1 attack/damage in epic if you take an epic destiny that only raises con.  But this assumes that you an epic destiny that does have a stat boost.

And in all reality, I never said that you should, I said it was possible.
Half-elf Battlemind.  Con18 Cha18.  Is there anything wrong with this stat choice if eldritch strike was based off of cha if you kept it at the same rate as con?

Yes: It constrains you to an even CON/CHA split on a class that shouldn't have one.

Tying a power to a secondary when it could be on your primary is bluntly insane. Now please just drop it.
The only reason you would select "Charisma" over "Constitution" for your ability score with Eldritch Strike is if you somehow found the word "Constitution" an annoying word to say - some people feel that way with the word "moist", so who knows.

But otherwise, even with the even split (and the Battlemind is not a very unique class in wanting an18 stuck right on its attack score pre-racials)... just go CON. It can matter post-heroic (your Epic Destiny never buffs Charisma but buffs Constitution, for example).
And hell, if you play LFR, you can retrain your stats to a 17 starting Con at odd levels. Which only further emphasizes this...
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Half-elf Battlemind.  Con18 Cha18.  Is there anything wrong with this stat choice

Yes, it isn't 20/16. Which is optimal. Also ED boosts. If you want an item bonus from a certain stone. That assumes you are even boosting your secondary at every opportunity, something that is not a given for a variety of BM builds.
A few odd options...

Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might can give you a once per encounter Eldritch Strike. Saves you 1 power point an encounter.

If you get a mount, you can have your mount make the basic attack. You'll have to talk to your DM about upgrading your mount so it stays relevant for your level.

You could become a Fey Beast Tamer, and have your beast companion take the opportunity attack. 

Get Melee Training Constitution, multiclass fighter, and pick up Focused Superiority. A very expensive way to get a decent opportunity attack.

Since a good basic attack is something a defender should have out of the gate, and you shouldn't be taxed for it, ask your DM for for a free pre-errata version of melee training, so you can use Con for basic attacks. Failing that, ask for house ruled feat that is a version of Intelligent Blademaster (swordmage feat), except for Battleminds and uses Con.
Conversely, if you're going for the even split (not a bad idea if you're a BM|Lock) and you have your heart set on an ED that boosts Cha but not Con, then you'd base it off of Cha.

Which is pretty much the only situation I can think of where that's superior, but still.
Conversely, if you're going for the even split (not a bad idea if you're a BM|Lock) and you have your heart set on an ED that boosts Cha but not Con, then you'd base it off of Cha.

Which is pretty much the only situation I can think of where that's superior, but still.

Fighter|Battlemind/Daring Blade/Prince of Hell?
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Fighter|Battlemind/Daring Blade/Prince of Hell?

Yeah, that might do it. The first ED that came to my mind that's strong and only boosts CHA was Legendary Sovereign. I also remember there's a good arcane one that only lets you boost mental stats (maybe Avangion?). I dunno, it's mostly just for argument's sake.

You're not a pure-class Battlemind in that case, which is a very different scenario.