Future of Red Deck Wins

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, with cards like Hellrider and Falkenrath Aristocrat leaving standard in a few months, do you guys think RDW will still be a good deck to run or still a winning deck? Everyone ive been playing at either FNM or the Star City Games tournaments for the most part run control decks or some sort of Sh** version of Midrange or Reanimator. Is this the death of RDW?
6 months, and two new sets away.
Rdw is in a odd place. There isn't very good burn to close the gap.
And life gain is pretty prevalent, thraggy and that azorious card pretty much put you in a bad match up vs both of them.

If there was a burn spell that was like R1 deal 4 damage to target player or 2 damage to target creature that might save the day. But right now decent burn spells have catch 22s, like morbid or that "first draw this turn" mechanic.

If red could be give some reach or ability to close out games than it would stand a chance.

At times when it shined we had lightning bolt and incinerate to play with
My life as a pigeon.
It was a direct statement. I didn't know that addressing you directly would have that effect on you. Please forgive me lil' lady. I might be an outlaw, but I'm a gentleman first; and your respect is very important to me.
>mfw
Right now, it looks as if mono- could be in trouble post-rotation; however, as has already been observed, there are two sets to be released prior to the rotation and a third one after it. That's not an insignificant amount of cards.
Not to mention, Ravnica block alone has a variety of really good mono or near-mono red cards.

Rakdos Cackler
Legion Loyalist
Ash Zealot
Boros Reckoner
Skullcrack
Mugging (no, seriously)

Expanding to Boros opens up some rude possibilities as well.

Firemane Avenger
Boros Charm
Truefire Paladin (for immediate post rotation, it could be far worse)
I don't use hellriders or aristocrats, I run a RDW splash green deck and i do really well with it. The cards i'm going to miss most with rotation are stromkirk noble, lightning mauler and flinthoof boar. If we get some stuff that's comparable then we should be fine and as long as there are decent burn spells like searing spear.
RDW is a historic archetype. It will always exist because there are always supports of the deck. It's rarely ever god though because it's an extremely difficult deck to play well and very punishing if you play poorly. 
Honestly, I don't think we'll do worse than Searing Spear, it's not like they'd make us go back to Volcanic Hammer.
My RDW is 95% red with a splash of black for the aristocrats. It usually does good at FNM and i places last weekend but the main cards that make it as powerful and hard to deal with are the hellriders, thundermaw, aristocrats, lightning maulers, spearing spear (excuse me, newfag here and i dont know how to make the words blue with a picture of it when you put your mouse over it).
RDW will be fine more than likely.  Of all the Archetypes it is the most resilient to phasing by far.  As long as firebreathing, haste, and first strike continue to be a thing for the archetype will be fine.  It may or may not--depending on what the new sets look like--be more burn heavy than it is now in the future.
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
I doubt it. There is a lot of powerful cards in red. Burning Tree Emissary, Firefist Striker, Pyreheart Shaman, Ash Zealot, Gore-House Chainwalker, Madcap Skills, Rakdos Cackler Boros Reckoner......

Mugging will fill the void left by Pillar of Flame, and if there isn't a strong 4 drop (there probably will be) people will just splash green for Gruul War Chant (alongside Ghor-Clan Rampager) White for Taijic (along with Boros Charm) or Black for Exava and Spike Jester....

Hell, with the speed some of these decks don't even really need a 4 drop. It's only cause Hellrider is just so good that they run him.

There is still a good 75-100 red cards that we have no idea what they will be, and some of them will cost less than 3, and be beefy creatures or say deals x damage to target creature or player.

Red deck will always be around
And of course how could I forget about Spark Trooper....
Honestly, there's absolutely no reason to be playing RDW right now other than wanted to hurr-durr a few wins against that guy at your store who plays nothing but Esper Control. If you want to be getnig value out of your mountains then bigger aggro or midrange is really where you want to be. 

That said, people will play RDW even when it's just  bad simply because they can for no other reason than to feel good about beating that guy who doesn't get to do anything except remove 2 creatures before dying horribly. Maybe I'm weird, but a few free wins never feel good enough to justify playing something sub-par.  
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Except that its not sub par?

Have you not looked at the 4-0 daily's in the last 3 weeks?
Honestly, there's absolutely no reason to be playing RDW right now other than wanted to hurr-durr a few wins against that guy at your store who plays nothing but Esper Control. If you want to be getnig value out of your mountains then bigger aggro or midrange is really where you want to be. 

That said, people will play RDW even when it's just  bad simply because they can for no other reason than to feel good about beating that guy who doesn't get to do anything except remove 2 creatures before dying horribly. Maybe I'm weird, but a few free wins never feel good enough to justify playing something sub-par.  

I play RDW splash green and the only match up it doesn't crush is jund(still beats it though) and even then if you keep top decking threats you just get there. The only deck mine actually fears is naya blitz and even then it's 50/50.
Rdw will always be a strong archetype.  M14 will be here in a short time, there will be many cards to reload with.
Rdw will always be a strong archetype.  M14 will be here in a short time, there will be many cards to reload with.

Strong as in tier 2? sure. 

Strong is kind of a strong word. HA!      

RDW will always have the capability to compete with Tier 1 decks but never the consistency to be considered one. Naya Blitz is probably the best example right now and it doesn't put up consistent results.  

I play RDW splash green and the only match up it doesn't crush is jund(still beats it though) and even then if you keep top decking threats you just get there. The only deck mine actually fears is naya blitz and even then it's 50/50.

Except that we are discussing post DGM standard, since we're discussing "future" and for the tools given to RDW, there are simply better tools for other aggro decks. The only absolute thing I see for the future standard metagame is a less polarized pace where RDW decks are just going to get eatten alive by decks with bigger, more impressive threats and adequate removal, so much so that god-hands will cease to be a thing.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
If I can't run you over with my list, I'll grind you out.

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
RDW is a historic archetype. It will always exist because there are always supports of the deck. It's rarely ever god though because it's an extremely difficult deck to play well and very punishing if you play poorly. 

This. RDW has existed, in some form, for 80% of the time, starting with Tempest. It's been called sligh, burn, or goblins, but it's been there. It's usually very cheap, which is another reason it's so popular.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
So, RDW is probably one of the two best decks in block. Which is a very good sign for Standard. Go ahead and pick up your Pyreheart Shamans ASAP. Oh, and Burning Tree Emmissary.

If you can't tell, I've been testing with friends heading to the Pro Tour. 

(at)MrEnglish22

So, RDW is probably one of the two best decks in block. Which is a very good sign for Standard. Go ahead and pick up your Pyreheart Shamans ASAP. Oh, and Burning Tree Emmissary.

If you can't tell, I've been testing with friends heading to the Pro Tour. 

I play Maze's End in block..
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
<3 Islands (John, not the land type)
I so dearly want a decklist with Maze's End. I've been trying to get non-promo foils, but they're hard to find.

(at)MrEnglish22