The Off Topic Thread

2130 posts / 0 new
Last post
WTF? IDSA!
@Wuster: ATDI or GTFO

ATDI but I'm more partial to the progressive/latino/strange religious undertones of TMV.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

WTF? IDSA!

At The Drive In.
A very good seminal punk band that Cedric and Omar quit to form The Mars Volta.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

OMG! LAPOPC!
WTF? IDSA!

At The Drive In.
A very good seminal punk band that Cedric and Omar quit to form The Mars Volta.

IDSA equals I Don't Speak Acronym.
Lol Hakeem, I haven't been out to the liquor store since asking about liquors, but I will make a special stop just for you to see if this mega sized liquor store carries Screech. ;P

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I for real can't believe anyone is still playing 2014.  I got bored of it what seems like a long time ago (probably only a month).  Just terrible this year!

I am really digging Card Hunter, though.  Richard Garfield helped design it.  It's basically classic D&D with cards for moving/attacking.  Very cool presentation and strategy.

It's in closed Beta right now but getting a beta key is... not hard.  I think I have a few left myself, actually.  I haven't touched the PvP because I'm just starting out and doing the Campaign which is crazy fun and flavorful.  Give it a try.
Does anyone here have access to the World of Tanks Beta? It's a free to play game for PC and Xbox Live Acct, in full game on PC, but beta on Xbox (sorry no PS3). It's actually really fun. Set in WW2, you start off with dinky little tanks, and work your way up to light tanks like Panzers and M3 Stuarts, and then even further to Tigers and Shermans. It's a blast to play, way better than what I thought for a F2P game, and the beta is still open. Worth checking out if you ask me.
I for real can't believe anyone is still playing 2014.  I got bored of it what seems like a long time ago (probably only a month).  Just terrible this year!

I am really digging Card Hunter, though.  Richard Garfield helped design it.  It's basically classic D&D with cards for moving/attacking.  Very cool presentation and strategy.

It's in closed Beta right now but getting a beta key is... not hard.  I think I have a few left myself, actually.  I haven't touched the PvP because I'm just starting out and doing the Campaign which is crazy fun and flavorful.  Give it a try.

Thanks for the beta key Drone.  This game is a ton of fun so far.  Nice find!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

didn't play 2013 from the beginning but the 10 decks from 2014 look a lot more interesting than the first 10 from 2013
Yeah I play 2013 more.  I like phyrexian obliterator more than mikaeus, the unhallowed and terra stomper more than predator ooze.

2 + 2 = fish

I get the first comparison, but comparing stomper to the ooze is kinda one sides don't you think? How about comparing it to something of roughly equal stature?

Crater hoof behemoth seems more likely.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I could not think of a single thing in HS to compare to stomper.  And I tried.  Frankly, it is one of the best green cards ever, simply because it causes people who run nothing but counterspells and unsummons (because they good of course) to cry "no fair".  It is also absurdly powerful for 6.

2 + 2 = fish

I like Gaea's Revenge a lot more than Terra Stomper.
I dislike Terra Stomper because it's in every way better than Force of Nature and in every way not as cool/awesome/interesting/anything.

Basically it's a game mechanic/anathema to creative thinking.
I dislike Terra Stomper because it's in every way better than Force of Nature and in every way not as cool/awesome/interesting/anything.

Basically it's a game mechanic/anathema to creative thinking.

Have to dig through the box. I think I have one or two of those.

Show

Smile. It's Ukulele time!

Show

Terra Stomper does literally nothing; sure it has great stats, but it's easily dealt with by a lot of decks. DroneOn is SpotOn; Gaea's Revenge is a much more impressive green creature.
The loss of a little toughness is more than worth the psudo hexproof.

Show

Eh I am a timmy and a johnny who has to play against blue too much, so the uncounterable trample makes me happy.  It's why i run crap like eureka and hellcarver demon.

Edit: Turn 2 hellcarver demon into turn 3 griselbrand and turn 3 pestilence demon is fun.  Put lifelink on pestilence......... 

2 + 2 = fish

Crank it!!!

Show

I don't know what you keep posting, but it only ever shows up as a black rectangle.

2 + 2 = fish

If I can get 19 other cards and a foil jace, the mind sculptor on magic online for 40 dollars, should I?

2 + 2 = fish

Terra Stomper does literally nothing; sure it has great stats, but it's easily dealt with by a lot of decks. DroneOn is SpotOn; Gaea's Revenge is a much more impressive green creature.

Did you just use the "dies to removal" argument, reworded?

Stomper is frikken amazing and comes out a turn earlier than Revenge, partially negating the Haste (to a degree, the surprise factor is still there).  And an increase of 3 thoughness is nothing to dismiss.

Revenge can be chump blocked all day.  Stomper has Trample.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

The biggest difference to me is that Stomper can get removed, and they have a turn to do something about it before it can do anything. Revenge can't be removed, but CAN be chumped all day and all night. Luckily, green has tons of ways to stompify their creatures, so I'd give the edge to Gaea's Revenge. Not that I wouldn't mind having both of them :P
The biggest difference to me is that Stomper can get removed, and they have a turn to do something about it before it can do anything. Revenge can't be removed, but CAN be chumped all day and all night. Luckily, green has tons of ways to stompify their creatures, so I'd give the edge to Gaea's Revenge. Not that I wouldn't mind having both of them :P

Stomper can also get Lightning Greaves...
Word, I thought of that like seconds after I submitted my post. Not sure if the fact that it can still fall to instant speed removal is a slightly larger downside than the fact that Revenge takes two turns more to come out and get trample (assuming something like Revenge + rancor). I guess I might give the upper hand to Stomper in that case. Two turns earlier + 3 more toughness + shroud vs instant pseudo-shroud, slightly weaker, but still buffable. I love them both, but something about Revenge is more appealing to me (probably just the idea behind the card, lore wise, I suppose.

I still prefer Force of Nature to them both and always will. Used to run 4 of him with CoP:Green back in 6th grade and made all sorts of people in recess unhappy 
Don't get me wrong.  I love both of them.  I'm a HUGE fan of the Big Green archetype.  Was my first deck ever. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Is force of nature just a preference thing, or is there some really freaky combo I am missing?  I am assuming preference.

2 + 2 = fish

Is force of nature just a preference thing, or is there some really freaky combo I am missing?  I am assuming preference.

I'm guessing Nostalgia.  It's a strictly worse card than Terra Stomper so it can't be because of quality.   4 mana upkeep is crazy.

That brings up the question.  Why don't they use Upkeep anymore?

You're a lose cannon.

In it's day, Force of Nature was INSANE. Huge P/T for it's day (the biggest creature then was the Polar Kraken, which actually came afterwards). It was basically a BEAST of a creature for wicked cheap, but a huge upkeep. They don't make creatures like that anymore.
I just like it because back when I originally played (6th grade), that card was insane for me. Most people I played against ran burn decks of some sort, or weird crap like banding (which I can't for the life of me remember how they work). It's basically just a naustalgia thing. Back then, big creatures meant big tradeoffs. Nowadays, big creatures just means you need to have a way of cheating them out or having ramp. 

My "really freaky combo" was a g/w deck that ran Circle of Protection: Green and the like and finished with Force of Nature, letting me avoid the damage for 1 mana, instead of 4. (like I said....6th grade, and an older brand of magic). 
Maelstrom Pulse

WHOA HOLYSHIT THAT ART IS AMAZING.  I've never seen that before.

Yeah, Modern Masters added a bunch of cool new card art to older cards.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

How come you always see oldest art when you do the orange highlighty thing?

2 + 2 = fish

I can't believe they printed Force of Nature as recently as 9th Edition.  It's a legitimately terrible card post-7th Edition (maybe even earlier, really).

I don't think cards have Upkeep anymore because the target market is young people who like to turn mans sideways.  Have you ever looked at how much first-market sales are skewed to casual/young players compared to tournament players?  A lot of "serious" players don't actually ever buy anything from Wizards directly, they just buy singles...
    I've removed content from this thread because Vulgarity is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
Which/how many of us were vulgar and how far back was it? Lol.

Fettergeist? Shadowborn Demon?

I should of known, those vulgar sons of...umm...broodmothers!

See, you say Broodmothers, and I think of an entirely different game. In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

The last few posts have given me this. What's going on here?
Sign In to post comments