The Off Topic Thread

2130 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm so glad to see this thread is staying on topic!
No beers tonight and off to bed with me now.
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Let's see. Springtime in St. Louis... I would think thunderstorms.

Go Cards!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Magic Cards have a better chance of winning the World Series than St. Louis Cards :P
I have no idea what opinions I have that are all that controversial, but then again, I am incredibly drunk right now.  I drank a whole bottle of Kung Fu Girl by myself because all our roommates are having an annoying party and my husband is at work.

Yes I am familiar with the "everyone stops talking and tries to look up my skirt" when I go to game stores because I am honestly pretty hot and to be fair I dress really provacatively.  It's my body, I'll put the clothes I want on it!

Also people always think I'm literally 10 or 20 years younger than I am.  I'm 36 and people don't believe I'm 21 at bars CONSTANTLY.

#firstworldproblems

I believe the term is "poker hot" put some cards in her hands and .... hmmm im always that dude tryin to connect this game with poker fuuu!!
Man, it doesn't matter what this community is talking about. The general feel around here is "one snide remark" = "merciless trolling" ---> "mash report post button".

If you didn't report me, who did? 

You're kidding right? Have you read the rules lately?

"Do not disrupt chat, forums, blog comments or other communication channels. For example: Spam through repeated posts, or off-topic content"

As much as some would like to joke that "everything in an off-topic thread is on topic", What's being discussed in this thread has ****-nothing to do with it's parent forum; Duels of the Planeswalkers.

The very title of this thread means they're watching it like a cast of hawks.
Nobody has to report you. Thy're reading every single word you say. This simple explanation actually puts me in the crosshairs...

Actually, this is not the first off-topic thread we had here and I don't recall the old one being moderated only because of being off-topic. Maybe the mods like the idea of having all the off-topic conversation in one placed instead of poluting other threads.

They would never outright say "We're watching this thread and taking the following action because it's an off-topic thread".
But you'd have to be a fool to think they aren't keeping an eye on it. It's existance is a rules-violation by definition, allowable because there's no innate harm in it. However aside from outright-troll threads, with it being the antithesis of focus an Off-topic thread is far more likely to turn inappropriate than any Duels-centric thread.

My point isn't that they're going to bring the mod hammer down on this thread more than any other. It's simply that due to the nature of the topic, they're going to be watching.

SHOUT-OUT TO THE MODS (and/or Wizards_Sean):
If I'm wrong, go ahead and say I'm wrong please.
I have no idea what opinions I have that are all that controversial, but then again, I am incredibly drunk right now.

How you state your opinions is often just as important, if not more important, than what you state. I've seen you state the right thing the wrong way more than once. I do this a lot as well, and it hasn't won me any awards either.

The victim complex also doesn't help. Saying "people disagree with me. It can't be because I'm wrong, it's gotta be misogony" is... Well, I'm going to be blunt. It's pitiful. I'm not saying this to cause trouble or to start an argument. You put the subject out there, I'm answering it as honestly as I can. Maybe you're a delightful person irl, I don't know, but your online persona hasn't been one I've personally liked, no offense.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Put on the Ring splatter.
Oh, and my prediction was true. Got awakened at 3:30 by golfball size hail hitting the roof.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Wow, that's some serious hail, lol.  I think the biggest sized hail I've seen is probably little smaller than quarter sized hail once in NE Kentucky...Although I hear in Florida I will start seeing golf ball sized hail.  (Should be moving there in less than a month, I'm pumped!)

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Where I live, this is what we call weather. A lot.
Put on the Ring splatter. Oh, and my prediction was true. Got awakened at 3:30 by golfball size hail hitting the roof.

Last time I saw hail like that it was from a tornado half a kilomter wide, passing within half a kilometer of my house.

Let me guess.
New Foundland or Nova Scotia

Show

I love fog like that, I use to see it when I lived in Northern California.

Edit: Unless I have to drive, then it sucks, lol. 

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

I believe the term is "poker hot" put some cards in her hands and .... hmmm im always that dude tryin to connect this game with poker fuuu!!

Is that anything like "office hot?"

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Sting is glowing.

Show

While we're safely off topic, I've always wondered; does "wuster" rhyme with rooster, buster, or something else entirely?

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

(woo-ster)- defined.
A core fan, and/or a promoter of a Minneapolis band The Big Wu.
About 10 years ago I was in charged of midwest promotion.
I was knighted Midwest Grand Poohba.
All Hail!

Show

Devil came from my irrational obsession with burn when I first started playing. Moniker given to me by my friend who got me started in this mess.

Show

Newfoundland is correct... color me impressed, wuster.
Newfoundland is correct... color me impressed, wuster.

Wait, who was he talking to?
Thank Hakeem I got it right Hakeem.
Last night you said you were Canadian and with your time zone know the answer was pretty simple.
Plus, in an earlief post you said you were from there.
:-p

Show

Thank Hakeem I got it right Hakeem. Last night you said you were Canadian and with your time zone know the answer was pretty simple. Plus, in an earlief post you said you were from there. :-p

Okay, that makes more sense because... Neither.

But same country.
Also just noticed this:

You know, I may be the worst example of a Diet Coke drinker ever because I've never experienced any of these "symptoms" people spout on the internet. I'm not even remotely exaggerating. None of them ever.

Eh, the "effects" of artificial sweeteners are greatly exaggerated.  I don't know why exactly, but there are plenty of people out there who feel strongly enough about certain things being "unnatural" that they feel the ends justify the means when they go and spread misinformation on the internet about it.  Sweeteners, GMO's, etc.. not that every single new food product is without fault, but the misinformation and overreaction is deafening.

Here's an example of one of the more popular memes.. I think it was posted earlier?  Or did I get that confused with the exaggerated Coke vs. Water one?  They're both on Facebook so much I can't remember.

www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame....

Symptoms from disease show up decades after the immune system has been compromised. With all the disease in the world, no one will convince me that bad food, pollution and stress isn't reponsible. Everything is fine and dandy until you or a loved one gets cancer. Now I'm not saying sweeteners are solely responsible for cancer, mind you. Just that when you combine the above three for prolonged periods of time, the immune system becomes compromised. And all it takes is one bad cell to start a nasty chain reaction. That's not exaggeration. That's reality.

Which, again, decades later I still have the most powerful immune system I know. I get sick one for one period lasting less than 24 hours each calender year, if that.

I dunno, I've been doing the "time will tell" thing for years and years now and still no effect. LIke I said, worst example ever.

It may delight (or whatever) you to know however that after the current half-price special of my weapon of shoice (6x710ml Diet Coke) ends and my subsequent supply runs out, I'll be switching to 35x cases of 500ml flavoured water instead. The unit price is a little less than half that of Diet Coke and I'm thinking I could use a change anyhow.
I'll still drink Diet Coke mind you... Like, if I go to restaurants or whatnot (I'm "never have, never will" with alcohol), I'm just going to switch to something simpler.

My wife is a Coke addict... diet, that is.
Canadian, Splatter? Whereabouts?

Which, again, decades later I still have the most powerful immune system I know. I get sick one for one period lasting less than 24 hours each calender year, if that.

For the longest time, I had a pristine immune system.  I drank most nights a week, smoked heavily, and partook in some other things.  My diet was mainly hot dogs and ramen.  I did no exercise whatsoever.  I got sick maybe once a year or two.  Then I got married, quit all that, and I'm sick CONSTANTLY.  You know why?

Friggin toddlers.  Disease-infested vermin, sneezing in your face.  I'm sick every month now.

..although, in retrospect, my previous praise for my immune system could have just been that couldn't distinguish a cold from a hangover..

+1 weasel.
When my Daughter started kindergarten it all went downhill.

Show

Canadian, Splatter? Whereabouts?

Canada.

(he said with a straight face )
Le sigh.
Le sigh.

Oh come now, if it were anyone but me you'd be surprised and appalled.

Anyway, Ontario.

ಠ_ಠ

Winter is coming.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

ಠ_ಠ

Winter is coming.

Please don't tell me you're aligned with The White Walkers also!
I guess Sauron would be though in a perfect middle world.

Show

Right now, I hope.

Show

So, I just picked up a copy of Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds for the X-Box (not 360).  I had seen a friend of mine playing this game a few times and looked like a lot of fun.  It's a real time Magic strategy game.  Being real time mana is handled quite a bit differently and non-permanents are just called Sorceries even though you can still play them at any time.  There are Enchantments, but no artifacts, as there is no colorless mana.  Speaking of mana, some spells in Battlegrounds cost differently then they do in paper magic but I assume that's for balance purposes.  Each spell also takes a certain amount of time to cast, I think it's close to 1/2 second per mana.  So something like a raging goblin is very hard to counterspell because counterspell is 2 mana.  Something like Wrath of God (5 mana in this game) is quite a bit easier to counterspell.  That brings in the fact that there is the factor of reaction time.  If you have slow reactions, this game might frustrate you, especially since it's such an old game there's no live people to play and the AI has excellent reaction time.

Each "deck" can be up to 10 spells of any 1 or 2 color combination.  You have those spells available to you at all times, you just need to aquire the mana to cast them.  As in real magic, neglecting the early 1/2cmc spells can put you at an early disadvantage, so each deck needs to have an early and late game strategy.

Mana is aquired from Mana Orbs that spawn every few seconds to begin with becoming more infrequent as the game goes on.  The first spawns right at the beginning, the second shortly afterwards and then longer and longer untill you reach the max somewhere around 12.  In 2 color decks you will get 1 of your primary color followed by 1 of your secondary color and then back and forth each Orb.

So far, I find this game a lot of fun.  It's what you wanted to do when you were a kid and were playing this game.  It's like actually being the planeswalker, even though they aren't all planeswalkers.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Isn't it always winter in the U.S.'s biggest state? ;P

I was looking into Battlegrounds but it just, on the surface, seemed a bit weird as in different mana costs and such. Still sounds interesting.

Show

An MMORPG set in Ravnica would be pretty awesome.
I know wuster. The mana cost changes seemed weird but once you play the game you begin to understand that its all in the name of balance. In fact I'd say its probably more balanced than any other magic format I've played before.

You're a lose cannon.

Is it just me or is Motorhead horribly overrated? All their songs are practically indistinguishable, and they stole their only riff from Anvil.

I like their songs, but I don't really get this whole "Gods of Rock and Roll" thing they have going on, outside of Lemmy's persona. 
Is it just me or is Motorhead horribly overrated?

Slayer is the champion of overrated. Every single one of their songs sounds like each band member independently wrote their own piece, then they all showed up on recording day and just did their own things. Their fame blows my mind.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Haha....and here I love Slayer :P

Heard they never took guitar lessons, which is pretty cool, but also explains a lot.

However, my favorite stuff of theirs is Show No Mercy. Not a fan of South of Heaven or the newest stuff.