The Off Topic Thread

2114 posts / 0 new
Last post
I prefer Neil Peart as a drummer although I also love Glenn Kotche from Wilco.
I love straight black columbian coffee.
Water, Beer, Snapple.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

That was close, but it's:

1) Water
2) Tea
3) Beer

They also happen to be my three favorite beverages, in reverse order though! 
That was close, but it's:

1) Water
2) Tea
3) Beer

They also happen to be my three favorite beverages, in reverse order though! 

Ooooo  tea, of course.
Funny I just meant Snapple in a non-sequiter way.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I didn't do too bad then, 2/3!  I agree though, Beer Tea Water ftw, lol.  I love Juices too though.  Love a fresh glass of OJ in the morning!  This thread is just too off topic! ;P

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I didn't do too bad then, 2/3!  I agree though, Beer Tea Water ftw, lol.  I love Juices too though.  Love a fresh glass of OJ in the morning!  This thread is just too off topic! ;P

Being off topic is being on topic here.
Welcome to Neverland.

Show

Wow, if I was still a stoner that would have blown my mind, lol.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

So by being off topic, we're being on topic, which means that we shouldn't be in the off topic topic because we're not off topic but because we're on topic in an off topic thread then we're off topic from the off topic thread which means that my head hurts.

Also...Brian Johnston is far superior to Bon Scott. The older stuff was good, but the Back in Black was just insane and one of the greatest albums ever. 
I prefer Neil Peart as a drummer although I also love Glenn Kotche from Wilco.
I love straight black columbian coffee.
Water, Beer, Snapple.

Also, try Guatemalan coffee some time, if you can find it. It's right up there with Columbian.  It isn't quite as bitter, with a much smoother, tastier flavor.
I got your off topic thread right here buddy!

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

So by being off topic, we're being on topic, which means that we shouldn't be in the off topic topic because we're not off topic but because we're on topic in an off topic thread then we're off topic from the off topic thread which means that my head hurts.

Also...Brian Johnston is far superior to Bon Scott. The older stuff was good, but the Back in Black was just insane and one of the greatest albums ever. 

Bon Scott could have never done Back In Black.
Brian Johnson could never have done Highway to Hell

Angus, Malcom and Phil
Were always there.

Show

That's the kind of thread I can get behind

Devil, I watched one of your videos and have to say your voice is awesome!

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

While we're on the topic of music and vocalists....

Axl Rose must be my least favorite vocalist of all time ever. If you replaced the entire vocal track to "Welcome to the Jungle" with the sound of a child swinging a feral cat around in circles over his head, I don't think I'd notice the difference.
That's the kind of thread I can get behind

Devil, I watched one of your videos and have to say your voice is awesome!

Word....I like the couple videos he has up as well. I just prefer live commentary to the after the fact comentary.
You guys have terrible taste in music. 

I'm pretty sure you're all younger than my dad (and, actually, probably younger than ME) but listen to more Dinosaur Rock.  Name an album that came out in the last month that you love!

Axl Rose may have ended up being a terrible person but Appetite For Destruction is a legit album and I am the last person on Earth who should be saying that, but I'm still saying it.  I mean, according to Last.fm my top listened artists for the past year have been Low, Negativland, Yo La Tengo, Cat Power, The Like and The Raveonettes.

I like VNV Nation, The Crow, Hot Topic, and Magic the Gathering. 
I can't name a single album that came out in the last month, let alone one that I love. The biggest reasons for this are:

1. I live in a third world country that really only enjoys reggaeton and Ricardo Arjona
2. Between my wife, son and going back to school, I barely have time to feed my video game addiction, let alone go find new music.

Luckily, music doesn't have to be new to be enjoyable :P

However, for a "new" band that I like, I "recently" discovered Monster Truck, and I like their sound a lot.

EDIT: Oh, and after reading Drone and someone else talking about Deerhunter (?) and then someone on facebook or something mentioning it, I went to give them a listen, and I'm not even sure if I found the right band or not :P  Not a fan, if so.
I like VNV Nation, The Crow, Hot Topic, and Magic the Gathering. 

I know you're trying to make fun of me, but I like none of those things and my avatar is a Halloween costume of a Venture Brothers character.  Try harder.

Oh, and after reading Drone and someone else talking about Deerhunter (?) and then someone on facebook or something mentioning it, I went to give them a listen, and I'm not even sure if I found the right band or not :P  Not a fan, if so.

There is the band Deerhunter, the band The Dear Hunter (who suck).

This is the one I'm talking about:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuIDGDL1Q18
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />1. I live in a third world country that really only enjoys reggaeton and Ricardo Arjona

Do you live in latin America somewhere?  There is so much good Rock En Espanol I can't believe you haven't heard any of it.  Sodastereo was the biggest band in Argentina (and Central America in general) for almost a decade, I could literally name 100 amazing bands from that part of the world that are awesome.  Try this out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMIyzCCk9lY
Yeah...I live in Guatemala. The radio pretty much consists of Mariachi, Marimba, Pitbull, Ricardo Arjona, and the occasional trance/trip hop channel.

I've heard like Mana, who aren't too bad. Seen a couple live bands that aren't terrible. I dunno....I'm just more of a classic rock kinda guy. Every time I hear a good Latin Classic Rock band, I forget their name. 
Again, music is something that people like and dislike based on each individual person's tastes.  Just because YOU like something doesn't mean it is so much better than what anyone else likes.  I hate these types of arguments about music.  Just because someone doesn't like what came out last month doesn't make a difference.  That is why there are so many different types of music and one cannot really say that "this music is better than that music".  Even some of my favorite bands have certain songs I think sound awful.

Also, Kona is my favorite Coffee, blows Columbian out of the water imo.

LOL Kanger, I feel for you. 

I see many people in this forum like music. Maybe wizards can make a DOTP 2015 based as a rhythm game. That would be fun. Smile
We're lucky if we can PAUSE the game on time, some games. I can't even imagine the horrorshow we'd have if they tried something that actually involves precision timing :P
LOL, isn't that the truth.

To derail the thread, thanks for the vocal compliments. I wish I could do live commentary. I drunkenly dropped my minidisc player while sitting in on mandolin in my buddies "doom grass" band a few months ago and broke it. That would be the way I would do it. Mic digital and track it in.
I have billions of synth emulators on my laptop so this time with slappy I'm going to try it in a new editor to provide some background music and sound effects.
Speaking as a musician and vocalist I have to say I love Axl. While his voice may be a pinch one dimensional, it is amazingly unique and full of soul and belongs to only him. That my friend is the sign of great vocals. Look at Joe Cocker. The second you hear the voice, no matter how old you are, if you know about him, you know it's him.
You know what? In honor of the compliment to my voice and the great funness I had in playing 4ffa last night with sixty4 after I got off with the awesome Steam guys, I going to get it together and upload a song from the way back to my website and post a hot link.
He's originally from Oklahoma so you'll understand the relevance of the song.
I had a core group of friends/musicians including my Wife on harmonies and percussion who would get together, drink, smoke, do copious amounts of substances and record improvisational music.
One of my favorites we did was a spur of the moment idea I had that we should do Give Me Shelter bluegrass style. So I started out and everyone followed.
God I miss those days.

Show

We're lucky if we can PAUSE the game on time, some games. I can't even imagine the horrorshow we'd have if they tried something that actually involves precision timing :P

We already had a rhythm game and I didn't notice it...
Duels just needs Pause Music, that's all.
Well for some reason I can't upload a .mp3 to my .com today so our version of J J Cale's If You're Ever In Oklahoma will not be available for your listening pleasure.
However I do have this improvisational gem to post.
It was my Wife on percussion and harmony, our friends Bea on percussion, Doug on mandolin and Pat on banjo.
As wrecked as our minds were I have vivid memory of all our Forty Mile n Hour Grandpa jam sessions.
We had just passed a fatty and I blurted out "Stones! Gimme Shelter bluegrass style!   GO!  1,2,3, and" without any forethought of doing that at all and here is what came out of it.
BTW I added a heavy drawl to my voice to give it that authentic bluegrass sound.

www.fortymilenhourgrandpa.com/OurMusic/g...

Edit: The more I think about it, this was around the time of Hayseed Dixie, the AC/DC bluegrass cover band. Therefor my idea.

Show

JJ Cale. That's more from my era. Google tells me - 197 Songs, 16 Albums, 10:09:31. Time to listen.
Again, music is something that people like and dislike based on each individual person's tastes.  Just because YOU like something doesn't mean it is so much better than what anyone else likes.  I hate these types of arguments about music.  Just because someone doesn't like what came out last month doesn't make a difference.

Sure it does, because the sheer volume of music that is constantly being released means that, no matter what you like, something you would like has come out in the past week, or month.

It's not about "X band is better than Y", it's about "stop listening exclusively to records that are 15 or 20 years old (or older) because you have some weird belief that nobody is making music like that anymore".

Name any band - of all time, ever - and I guarantee I can name you ten bands doing similar music today.

I find new music I enjoy all the time.  It doesn't have to be a band that is new, sometimes it is an older band I just never knew about before, etc.  Some people have very narrow tastes in music (which is their right).  Each person is different.  If it makes them happy, which is what music is generally about, then that is what truly matters.  Who cares if they find new music if they love and enjoy what they have over and over again.  It shouldn't matter.

Again, music is something that people like and dislike based on each individual person's tastes.  Just because YOU like something doesn't mean it is so much better than what anyone else likes.  I hate these types of arguments about music.  Just because someone doesn't like what came out last month doesn't make a difference.

Sure it does, because the sheer volume of music that is constantly being released means that, no matter what you like, something you would like has come out in the past week, or month.

It's not about "X band is better than Y", it's about "stop listening exclusively to records that are 15 or 20 years old (or older) because you have some weird belief that nobody is making music like that anymore".

Name any band - of all time, ever - and I guarantee I can name you ten bands doing similar music today.

Hawkwind
White Witch

Go!

Show

Does anyone else love Ozzy's Boneyard on Sirius? Can't get enough of that station.....
I find new music I enjoy all the time.  It doesn't have to be a band that is new, sometimes it is an older band I just never knew about before, etc.  Some people have very narrow tastes in music (which is their right).  Each person is different.  If it makes them happy, which is what music is generally about, then that is what truly matters.  Who cares if they find new music if they love and enjoy what they have over and over again.  It shouldn't matter.

No matter how narrow your taste is, there is new music being made that is similar to it.  Seriously name me some bands here.

Hawkwind?!  That's the one you'd hold up as hard to find people today making music like them?!!  HAWKWIND?!!

There's an entire genre of music that has followed in Hawkwind's footsteps.  My husband's band, Pegasi 51, has Hawkwind as their number 2 influence, just behind Joy Division!

Dead Meadow, Bardo Pond, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Black Angels... you know what, just watch this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njKCr6ieKE

Seriously, Hawkwind?  That one was so easy I didn't even have to think about it.

Drone give me Black Sabbath, but I want something that sounds like the first three albums before they got too coked up! ;)

No matter how narrow your taste is, there is new music being made that is similar to it.  Seriously name me some bands here.

Hawkwind?!  That's the one you'd hold up as hard to find people today making music like them?!!  HAWKWIND?!!

There's an entire genre of music that has followed in Hawkwind's footsteps.  My husband's band, Pegasi 51, has Hawkwind as their number 2 influence, just behind Joy Division!

Dead Meadow, Bardo Pond, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Black Angels... you know what, just watch this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-njKCr6ieKE

Seriously, Hawkwind?  That one was so easy I didn't even have to think about it.

Wink

Show

While we're at it, how about Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young?
I don't know of any mainstream pop band doing tight, four part harmonies without the use of gratuitous effects to hide their mediocrity.

Show

Sixty4, although it's beautiful out here, you were smart to move out of tornado country.

This nugget is for you. Fun games as always last night and more so as another dumb ass decided to tell you how to play your stuff.
I love it when you get your dander up. Always makes for a good smile as someone tries to argue you down.

www.fortymilenhourgrandpa.com/IfYoureEve...

Show

Some bands may be similar but each is unique.  Just because something is similar doesn't mean it sounds just as good as another band you like.  For instance I really like Radiohead, but a lot of the "bands that sound just like Radiohead" sound awful to me.  I can think of a bunch of bands I find this to be true with.  Name me 10 bands you think sound similar to Radiohead that "I should listen to because they sound similar."  I don't like every band in my "favorite genres", I don't like every song my favorite bands have ever made, etc.  Just like I don't like every single book written by my favorite authors or my favorite genres, I don't like every single painting by my favorite artists or genre.  That's not how art works.

Drone give me Black Sabbath, but I want something that sounds like the first three albums before they got too coked up! ;)

This....I've been hoping to find some other bands that sound like older Sabbath, but nothing has really been quite right.

On a side note.....Dave Mustaine may be a terrific guitarist and he may have written some of the better metal riffs ever, but that Megadeth is just friggin TERRIBLE. I enjoy them, but more in an ironic kind of way. Like....the dude is SO talented in one dimension, but assumes that he can make his own band just because of it. He needs to let other people take the reigns and just sit back and shred. 
Ya, I agree with your main point for sure Kanger.  Just because I don't like a band doesn't mean I am saying I don't think they have talent.  A lot of bands I cannot stand have some amazing musicians.

While we're at it, how about Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young?
I don't know of any mainstream pop band doing tight, four part harmonies without the use of gratuitous effects to hide their mediocrity.

Fleet Foxes.  Next.