cards you're testing

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok... Quiet Speculation turned out well. Now I'm trying out Dreamscape Artist… blue Harrows that can be copied with rings of brighthearth seem ok.

What tech are the rest of you testing out?

3DH4LIF3

What in particular do you use with Quiet Speculation?

Dreamscape Artist is quite good, but I always felt that you need to have reliable ways to get back what you discard. It's easy to say you're just packing Crucible, but sometimes to get the best value of it you need to be able to discard anything to get your land count up. 
What in particular do you use with Quiet Speculation?

Right now I'm playing with Faithless Looting, Conflagrate, Increasing Vengeance, Deep Analysis, Think Twice, Recoup, Mystic Retrieval, and I'm trying out Fervent Denial... but I have yet to cast it at all with my Izzet deck.

I might try out Flash of Insight eventually. 

3DH4LIF3

I've just started building Wish boards for some of my decks.  There are official rules for a 10-card sideboard; people I play with don't use them so I'm not going to use it as an actual sideboard, just a wish board.
I've just started building Wish boards for some of my decks.  There are official rules for a 10-card sideboard; people I play with don't use them so I'm not going to use it as an actual sideboard, just a wish board.

I just just started thinking about the same thing for a deck I am building for Malek from Dragon's Maze. Probably not going to use Burning Wish initially unless I can trade for it since I will likely be buying a Divining Top and Scroll Rack for the deck already, but will likely use Cunning Wish ($20 v $5).

I have enjoyed using Mindless Automaton in conjunction with Cathars' Crusade/Immaculate Magistrate and other +1/+1 token techs for some of my draw starved decks that recur/find creatures easier than other things.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

I am looking for ways to break planar guide.  The most obvious is CiP abilities but I am not sure whether abilities that target other creatures work if they all come into play at once.   Currently it is in my soon to be Zedruu deck, mainly to bounce things back to my board if I need to.  I also wanted to use angel's trumpet with blinding angel.  Would love suggestions for that combo too.  Come to think of it, I should throw that combo into my Zedruu deck too, since I can donate the trumpet.  Perhaps with Sunblast angel or stasis
Flash of Insight is an awesome card.

I've always loved the Wishes, but I sometimes have a tough time finding 10 cards outside what I'm playing that I'd wish for. Surely it'd be a silver bullet collection. Perhaps color hosers or something.
I'm trying to go for hosing strategies more than colors.  My Bant deck has Living Wish now, and the sideboard is things like Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Tel-Jilad Fallen, Bruna, Light of Alabaster, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Tower of the Magistrate, Loaming Shaman, Gaddock Teeg, etc.
So, is this whole "Wish board" understood among your respective playgroups?  Do you do the same thing when you play with new/unknown players?  I don't think I'd be cool with it.  Personally, I have yet to meet a player who actually uses a sideboard in Commander.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

As I understand what they are saying, they are just pulling a few cards out to make them easier to find when they cast the wish spells. Since the spells aren't banned....can't see why anyone would be upset. I'd be more upset if they didn't have their spells in a sideboard and went searching through a 5000 card box for that perfect spell.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

The rules stat that your supposed to confer with the other players before the game starts when using a sideboard (10 cards) and if they agree then your good to go.

thats whats in the rules anyway.

cheers   

<----- Loser.

A few of those cards you could make arguments to have them maindeck. It seems mostly your sideboard is artifact/reanimator hate.
In my opinion, the Wishes are janky crutches that some would use as a substitute for deckbuilding ability.  I've never had anyone attempt to use them in a game, but now I want to suggest that my group ban them so it never comes up.

Wish cards are limited to searching one's sideboard by current rulings unless one takes part in an unsanctioned event or casual play. Wish cards are somewhat tutor cards limited to searchig within in one's sideboard. They are not as janky as one believes and can promote, like other formats, an intuitive knowledge of one's playgroup or match up in an EDH tournament. On the otherhand, one can fill up on, like a deck, expensive power cards. The fact that it essentially adds 10 new slots to a deck and provides somewhat the same flexibility of a tutor is invaluable. Plus, most are under a dollar. Go fetch them.

In a sanctioned event, a card that's "outside the game" is one that's in your sideboard. In an unsanctioned event, you may choose any card from your collection.

Keep brewing.
Wish cards are limited to searching one's sideboard by current rulings unless one takes part in an unsanctioned event or casual play. Wish cards are somewhat tutor cards limited to searchig within in one's sideboard. They are not as janky as one believes and can promote, like other formats, an intuitive knowledge of one's playgroup or match up in an EDH tournament. On the otherhand, one can fill up on, like a deck, expensive power cards. The fact that it essentially adds 10 new slots to a deck and provides somewhat the same flexibility of a tutor is invaluable. Plus, most are under a dollar. Go fetch them. In a sanctioned event, a card that's "outside the game" is one that's in your sideboard. In an unsanctioned event, you may choose any card from your collection. Keep brewing.

So was the point of this post to just explain what Wishes do?  If it was, mission accomplished I suppose.  If it was to refute my prior point...keep brewing.

Oh damn, I forgot all about the wishes! I need to get my friends on board with wishboards :P

Right after I read this thread, I threw together a wishboard for my Saffi Eriksdotter deck, with Living Wish. Basically a bunch of cards that weren't good enough to make it in the deck. And now if I draw Living Wish, it can do anything!

Removal
Strip Mine
Qasali Pridemage
Duplicant

Recursion (yes, eternal witness could replace all of these, but she needs to be maindecked)
Tilling treefolk
Riftsweeper
Razor Hippogriff
auramancer
Deadwood treefolk

life gain
Pelakka Wurm

tutor
Brutalizer Exarch
The purpose of my original post was to inform and clarify because it seemed it needed to be provided. Opinions are always welcomed. I got carried away with the wish section of my post that I forgot to mention what I am testing at the moment. Currently, I am testing all non destruction board wipes such as Terminus, Hallowed Burial, Merciless Eviction, etc. in my deck. I have to say they work better than I thought. I don't have to worry have necro decks, regeneration or indestructibility. Since my deck has been optimized for it, it is beneficial for my board. And there ia nothing wrong with seeing a general getting put away.

Keep brewing.
Sudden Spoiling is something I am testing because tokens and Massacre Wurm are big in my meta. Setting up a blowout with Split Second seems good.
I was testing out Demonic Consultation, more of a combo card thing, than anything else.  But it worked along the lines of Lim-Dul's Vault.
I might try testing out nefarious lich but it seems a tad bit dangerous... any suggestions?
I might try testing out nefarious lich but it seems a tad bit dangerous... any suggestions?

What colors are you in?  There's Privileged Position and Sterling Grove if you're playing Junk colors.  Karador matches the colors and usually keeps the graveyard full, so in a deck like him it could work.  On the other hand, you probably want to have a way to both gain life and win fast once you drop it.  That kind of thing will be too tempting to remove, you don't want to let the game go on much longer.

If you're in blue there's always counterspells, and you can Stifle the leaves-play trigger.
Or... play something that doesn't outright kill you.

On black there are loads of things you can play to draw cards.

3DH4LIF3

Nefarious lich just seems like an awful idea in a format where you are almost literally guaranteed to face enchantment removal, not to mention a high likelihood of something like all is dust, oblivion stone, akroma's vengeance, purify, etc etc.

Oh, and a bunch of cards that exile your entire graveyard, so you can die that way too.

Honestly, it's too bad about the card killing you if it leaves play. I think it would be balanced without that, especially at CCCC.
I am looking for ways to break planar guide

Best place I saw it was in Reaper King...

Here it is: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 

Endless Whispers in a token creatures deck with wipe galore.  The only creatures in the deck being Steel Golem and Bronze Bombshell.
thinking about adding in Soul Kiss in my mono black for 3 life and 3 mana i get +6 +6 on my creature that is one heck of a pump
Endless Whispers in a token creatures deck with wipe galore.  The only creatures in the deck being Steel Golem and Bronze Bombshell.

The problem with endless whispers in a removal-heavy deck is that if your opponents are pissed at you for perpetually killing all their creatures, they can just pass the creatures back and forth and never give you any. You've effectively made all their creatures indestructible (or worse, with enters/dies triggers.)

Not the greatest multiplayer card. 
I won't care about that scenario often.  The deck will be token makers anyways.  Besides, it's to my advantage to keep lobbing bronze bomshell at other players.
It doesn't matter whether you're playing tokens or whatever. I'm talking about creatures your opponents are casting. I think whispers in a sweeper-heavy deck is a bad idea.
I understood you the first time.
I've been sliding Singing Tree into a few builds lately, its been a house, my fav was the Uril deck when it was a 26/29 flying, trample, vigalince, double striking, lifelinker. sure it was a rare situation but it was total lols killing with a singing tree. Freed From the Real on it in another deck was amazing, whole attack phases got hosed.

<----- Loser.

I've been sliding Singing Tree into a few builds lately, its been a house, my fav was the Uril deck when it was a 26/29 flying, trample, vigalince, double striking, lifelinker. sure it was a rare situation but it was total lols killing with a singing tree. Freed From the Real on it in another deck was amazing, whole attack phases got hosed.

Similarly, I've been trying to find a spot for Sorceress Queen in my Merieke Ri Berit.  In fact, I'm still hunting for appropriately colored creatures with abusable activated abilities.

You could try a Coffin Queen, too.  That could work, aside the similar name to the one you are trying, RX.
You could try a Coffin Queen, too.  That could work, aside the similar name to the one you are trying, RX.

Coffin Queen is a bomb in this format. I'm picking up a Vengeful Pharoah on Saturday, I think he has potential for greatness.

<----- Loser.

Similarly, I've been trying to find a spot for Sorceress Queen in my Merieke Ri Berit.  In fact, I'm still hunting for appropriately colored creatures with abusable activated abilities.

Tradewind rider is one of my favorites. Also azami and arcanis.