Three questions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. Eladrin get the longsword proficiency, Wizards get dagger and staff.  Can a Eldarin Wizard use a longsword or is it not allowed with wizards?

2. Bluff is a charisma skill.  Does charisma effect bluff in any way other than the ability modifier of +1/2 lvl? 

3. The +1/2 lvl... Does that mean you get a +1 every 2 levels?
1. No. You need proficiency with Longsword as an Implement. There are ways to do that though.

2. You mean other than the ability modifier+1/2 level? No.

3. Yes.
1. Eladrin get the longsword proficiency, Wizards get dagger and staff.  Can a Eldarin Wizard use a longsword or is it not allowed with wizards?

2. Bluff is a charisma skill.  Does charisma effect bluff in any way other than the ability modifier of +1/2 lvl? 

3. The +1/2 lvl... Does that mean you get a +1 every 2 levels?

Answering these out of order as #3 helps explain #2. And it looks like I got Ninja'd while writing this.

1) An Eladrin Wizard can use a longsword as a weapon but not as an implement.  Unless they take the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path, which lets them use longswords as implements (the eladrin wizard in my groups has made good use of a Sword of Force and a Sunblade to change the damage types of her powers)

3) Close, you get +1 at every even level; which I guess is the same thing but the distinction is you get +0 at 1st level and +1 at second level.  Just divide your level by 2 and round down.
     So at 2nd level, all defenses, skills and attack rolls get +1, at 14th level they all get +7

2) None that I can think of, but its not +1/2 level. Its 1/2 of your level + the Charisma ability modifier, +5 if you're trained in Bluff (plus racial, feat and other bonuses)
    If you are trained in Bluff, have 16 charisma and are 7th level, then you roll d20 and add 11. 
    11 = 5 (for being trained) + 3 (from 16 charisma) and + 3 (from half your level, rounded down) 

So one of you said you can use a longsword one of you said you can't.  I guess you can use it as a weapon, but wizards tend to use implements instead of weapons?  An Eladrin Wizard could attack with a longsword but it wouldn't be as effective as an orb or staff?
We said the same thing. Using it was a Weapon: Yes. Using it as an Implement: No. But you're a Wizard. Look at your powers. See the Implement keyword? You only care if you can use something as an Implement.

But, again, there are ways of getting Proficiency (key term) with the Longsword as an Implement. The Wizard of the Spiral Tower Paragon Path that RisingZan mentioned is one way. There is also the feat Arcane Implement Proficiency. You can also Multiclass into Swordmage.

4e has a lot of terms you really need to understand before the rules will make sense and wording matters. RisingZan and I said the same thing, but we said it differently.
You could at least have made the title "Answer me these questions three, e're the other side ye see"
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Sign In to post comments