Returning (again) - some quick questions

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how much I should invest in the current block since I'm coming in on the tail end. When Theros comes out in September, does that mean only M14 and Theros can be used in standard format, or does standard include the later sets of the previous block?

Also, are most people playing a 3 color deck in this block?

Lastly, any recommendations for an online deck builder? I started using TCGplayer and it seems alright, but the statistics are pretty limited and interface not so good.
Standard consists of the latest two blocks and the core sets following them. So when Innistrad block and M13 rotate out of Standard this fall, Ravnica block, M14 and Theros block along with M15 will all be legal in Standard before the next rotation in fall 2014. Then Ravnica block and M14 will leave Standard. So any Ravnica cards you purchase now will still be legal for over a year.

Edit: With the mana fixing currently available in Standard, powerful 3+ colored decks are possible. Since one can reliably get the colors needed. In tournaments, the decks are built to be as powerful as possible, so why limit yourself to the most powerful cards of two colors when you can get the most powerful cards of 3+ colors with almost no drawback, provided you can get tha mana base?

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

With the mana fixing currently available in Standard, powerful 3+ colored decks are possible. Since one can reliably get the colors needed. In tournaments, the decks are built to be as powerful as possible, so why limit yourself to the most powerful cards of two colors when you can get the most powerful cards of 3+ colors with almost no drawback, provided you can get tha mana base?

While this is true, unless you want the absolutely most competive deck, there are good two-color builds. One of the top performing players at my store plays a Golgari deck, and I've done well with Rakdos aggro. Gruul aggro, Boros aggro, and B/R zombies all show up on the tcgplayer list of the Standard metagame, which is based on Top-8 placings:

magic.tcgplayer.com/standard_deck_hq.asp

Mono-red and mono-green are also sufficiently competitive to have fun with. 

Thanks, sorta what I figured. Also means I need to buy a greater number of expensive cards Smile
Sign In to post comments