Dragon Issue #422

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pg 08, Horn of Revelry: the text "Each satyr adjacent to you grants you a +1 item bonus to all defenses and saving throws." should be replaced with "You gain a +4 item bonus to all defenses and saving throws."

This reflects the (probably intended) wording of the Mirror Image power more accurately, and removes any confusion regarding stacking item bonuses.
Pg. 05 Hyrsam Fiddlestick Attack is missing the weapon keyword. 

Pg. 05 Hyrsam Irresistible Dance Attack's Effect should say target moves unwillingly if its meant to be irresistible.

Pg. 10 Tinker Gnome Use What's At Hand Racial Feature has no effect since Improvised Weapons don't have proficiency bonus.

Pg. 12 Tinker Gnome Jury Rig Utility's Effect duration should not be until the end of the encounter since its used during a short or extended rest and that such duration otherwise last 5 minutes.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Pg. 10 Hyrsam Use What's At Hand Racial Feature has no effect since Improvised Weapons don't have proficiency bonus.

I think you mean Tinker Gnomes here.
Oops yeah i was  : )   [EDITED]

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Pg 08, Horn of Revelry: the item bonus to defenses granted by Horn of Revelry should be cumulative. So: "Each satyr adjacent to you grants you a cumulative +1 item bonus to all defenses and saving throws."

I'm pretty sure the word "each" takes care of it.  "Cumulative" implies adding bonuses over time.  Here, the bonus is added once -- when the satyrs first appear.

Pg. 05 Hyrsam Fiddlestick Attack is missing the weapon keyword. 

Pg. 05 Hyrsam Irresistible Dance Attack's Effect should say target moves unwillingly if its meant to be irresistible.

Doh! 
Pg 08, Horn of Revelry: the item bonus to defenses granted by Horn of Revelry should be cumulative. So: "Each satyr adjacent to you grants you a cumulative +1 item bonus to all defenses and saving throws."

I'm pretty sure the word "each" takes care of it.  "Cumulative" implies adding bonuses over time.  Here, the bonus is added once -- when the satyrs first appear.Doh! 

Well, item bonuses don't stack, so I would assume the 4 satyr's only give you a +1 defense bonus total. That's what I meant with adding the word cumulative. 

I'm pretty sure the word "each" takes care of it.  "Cumulative" implies adding bonuses over time.  Here, the bonus is added once -- when the satyrs first appear.Doh! 

Well, item bonuses don't stack, so I would assume the 4 satyr's only give you a +1 defense bonus total. That's what I meant with adding the word cumulative. 

Item bonuses don't stack because they are enhancement bonuses, and enhancement bonuses do not stack. The satyr's bonus is untyped.  It stacks.
Maybe we're reading different versions of the item power. 

Show
Each satyr adjacent to you grants you a +1 item bonus to all defenses and saving throws. Each time an attack misses you or you succeed on a saving throw, one satyr disappears, and the bonus granted by this power decreases by 1. When the bonus reaches 0, all the satyrs are gone and the power ends. Otherwise, the effect lasts for 1 hour.

Aside from that, item and enhancement bonuses are different things. From the Rules Compendium (irrelevant info removed):

Show
bonus

A number added to a die roll. If a bonus has a type (such as a power or a feat bonus), the bonus is not cumulative with bonuses of the same type; only the highest bonus applies. Bonuses that have no type are called untyped bonuses. Such bonuses are cumulative. However, untyped bonuses from the same named game element (such as a power or a feat) are not cumulative; only the highest applies.

Each of the bonus types in the game is described below.

Enhancement Bonus: This bonus improves attack rolls and damage rolls or defenses. An adventurer gains an enhancement bonus to Armor Class when wearing magic armor, an enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls when wielding a magic weapon or implement, and an enhancement bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will when wearing a magic item that occupies the neck item slot (such as an enchanted cloak). An adventurer can benefit from a magic weapon, magic armor, and a magic cloak at the same time, since their enhancement bonuses add to different rolls or scores.

Item Bonus: Granted by a magic item, this bonus applies only as long as a creature wears or wields the item.

Untyped Bonus: Some bonuses have no type (“a +2 bonus,” for instance). Most of these bonuses are situational and combine with other bonuses, including other untyped bonuses. However, untyped bonuses from the same named game element (such as a power or a feat) are not cumulative; only the highest applies, unless otherwise noted.

The defense bonus is listed as an item bonus. Item bonuses don't stack, unless it specifically says so. Right now the item doesn't, so the 4 satyrs only give a +1 defense bonus total. 

I assume you wanted to give a +4 defense bonus that slightly decreases every time you get hit (like Mirror Image), so I suggested adding the word cumulative so the bonuses would stack. Alternatively, you just adjust it to match the wording of the Mirror Image power more closely: 

You gain a +4 item bonus to all defenses and saving throws. Each time an attack misses you or you succeed on a saving throw, one of the satyrs disappears, and the bonus granted by this power decreases by 1. When the bonus reaches 0, all the satyrs are gone and the power ends. Otherwise, the effect lasts for 1 hour.

I also changed to OP to this wording. 
Maybe we're reading different versions of the item power.

You're right.  I forgot that I labeled it an item bonus.

The word "cumulative" still wouldn't fix what you are trying to fix because "cumulative" is not a magic word that negates anti-stacking.  The "each" means that you get one item bonus equal to +1 for each satyr.  You seem to want ot use "cumulative" here, but I disagree with you that "cumulative" is the correct word.  I think "each" is the correct word, which is why I wrote it that way.

So I think we simply disagree with the appropriate way to connote that you get a single item bonus equal to the number of adjacent satyrs.

Also, as a matter of correction, the item bonus is granted by the horn. So the rules for bonuses are absolutely complied with. The horn grants the item bonus.  The value of that bonus is established by the number of satyrs summoned by the horn who remain adjacent to the horn-weilder.

So, in short, I understand your complaint.  I simply deny that your issue is an actual problem with the wording.  I think the wording is fine.
So, in short, I understand your complaint.  I simply deny that your issue is an actual problem with the wording.  I think the wording is fine.

Fair enough. But do you agree that the Mirror Image wording is more elegant (if somewhat less flavorful)?

By the way, congrats on another publication!
do you agree that the Mirror Image wording is more elegant (if somewhat less flavorful)?

What is the purpose of me critiquing other professionals' use of words?

By the way, congrats on another publication!

Thank you/