D422: Oh goodie another race for the pile.... what do you mean, useful GNOMES?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obligatory link

Some useful little toys for bards (Written by community member Wrecan, I see, congrats to him on publication), WAAAAAYYYYY too many tables to roll up a background, and a new race.

Gnomes.

With good stats.

And useful racials.

And useful feats.

This was ... unexpected.

No, they don't qualify for normal Gnome or Svirfneblin support, nor vice versa without houserules though.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
What's This? Artificer Content?
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
It's almost like they aimed for reversing the Tinker Gnomes' reputation as a joke race.  Definitely building an Artificer at the earliest opportunity.
Given that feat I'm pretty much going to start insisting that Arcane Empowerment is an amazing feature. Combined with a Smiths Hammer familiar, a Party can be a lot more liberal with their use of Stones or Salves, or a Barb's Daily Charge RoB suddenly becomes effectively an Encounter ability...
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
And symbol of victory becomes even more awesome
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
I've been playing a Gnome Artificer in LFR since Year 1.
It'd be great if I could switch him to a Tinker Gnome.
All you need is a lazer and heat seeking missiles and you have tinker from dota 2. I like it.

Oooooooo THEY NEVER MISS 
Regarding the Gnome article:

What's the point again in being proficient with improvised weapons? Those generally don't have a proficiency bonus anyway, so you won't benefit from that.

About the U6: do you need to announce your use of the power before or after you roll the attack? I'd say before, but it would be a lot more useful if you already knew if you hit or not. 

Aside from that, yeah, another way to reuse Arcane Empowerment makes Artificers a pretty good Leader choice in campaigns where you can choose your own magic items.
The free action u6 must be a reaction, if it's reaction to the attack roll I think you would know whether it has hit or not.

Also more rubbish from UA for those who lack an imagination. If only they'd put that thought time towards something useful (like a generic multi-attack for essentials strikers in paragon or something). 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
The free action u6 must be a reaction, if it's reaction to the attack roll I think you would know whether it has hit or not.

It triggers off you making an attack roll, not an enemy or ally. 

Also more rubbish from UA for those who lack an imagination. If only they'd put that thought time towards something useful (like a generic multi-attack for essentials strikers in paragon or something). 

If only... *looks away wistfully* Just a paragon path that requires you to be a striker would be enough.

Anyway, the Bard stuff isn't bad. A "light shield" that doubles as an implement and gives you a daily charm/psychic/thunder reroll, and a light blade that gives you a daily melee/close reroll. The only requirement is that you use them together, which can be taxing on your gold (but bards are no stranger to that problem, and this at least lets you use something else than a Songblade for a change).

It triggers off you making an attack roll, not an enemy or ally. 

Yes? I don't think that changes the fact that triggered free actions work as reactions unless required to be interrupts to function?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Apologies, I thought you were saying it should be a reaction instead of a free action (which wouldn't work if you wanted to use it on your own turn). Reading comprehension ftw. 

Anyway, you're saying that as a reaction, the player should be informed of whether the attack hit or not. I agree with that reading, since the power is already pretty limited. It's basically just a +1 or 2 to hit, maybe +3 or 4 when you attack the right monster's AC.

Which isn't bad when you're using it for Magic Weapon, doubly so since Artificer's U6 doesn't offer much anyway.
No, they don't qualify for normal Gnome or Svirfneblin support, nor vice versa without houserules though.

It makes no sense that this isn't a racial variant. Not that gnome support is that amazing, but still.

Ready the houserule cannon!

It makes no sense that this isn't a racial variant. Not that gnome support is that amazing, but still.

Ready the houserule cannon!

Demihumans typically get racial variants. Monsters(see Bugbear, Hobgoblin, Goblins) are all generally considered their own race...
Sign In to post comments