Eldaarich, a map or a more in depth guide?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've got my Dark Sun campaign gearing up for a trek to the city of Eldaarich but I'm finding the recent Eye on Dark Sun article (Dungeon 186) on it rather lacking. 

I've got a rough sketch of the city but I'm having a hard time understanding the layout of the city.  It mentions 3 tiers, an upper, mid, and lower level with classes living in each, rich up top, merchant class in the middle, and the 99% shuffling in the lower levels in underground tunnels and street level. 

I'm imagining a circular type city, with 200 foot walls, Daskinor's tower in the middle rising high.  I imagine that the entrance to the city from the northeast and southwest gates leads immediately to a middle tier, which moves circular around the city, with passages leading to subterranean slums and as you reach the middle, the tiers rise to the upper noble layers which surround Daskinor's tower.

Also, the positions of the bowels, warrens, and slums, I'm not sure where they are located.  So, if anybody has a map of Eldaarich or has any input on the design / layout of the city I'd love to see it.

Thanks.
i have came across VERY limited information on this city, and would love to hear more too. also, what exactly is the party planning to do there? i've been thinking of taking my party there but have no hooks yet, or any events, but it is a long ways away, so id love to hear about your adventures! also, i dont have DDI so.......
first thing i would like to know is whats the deal with Daskinors paranoia? i have my theory's but wanna hear yours first iFrame RemovediFrame Removed
If I remember correctly, the city is essentially comprised entirely of towers or tower-like buildings. It is more vertically arranged than it is horizontally, and as such the slums encompass the whole of the city, excepting of course Daskinor's tower. Built on top of the slums and underground passages where the poor and desperate live are the homes of the middle class, and to top it off, quite literally, are the noble homes. There also doubtless areas consisting of nothing but ruins, or even open patches of dirt where the towers have fallen and all the building material picked clean by the citizenry.

As for Daskinor's paranoia, also of the top of my head, it seems to have something to do his powerful psionic abilities. At any rate, it is heavily implied that his subconcious is trying to kill him. Whether this is the cause or result of his insanity is uncertain.
If I remember correctly, the city is essentially comprised entirely of towers or tower-like buildings. It is more vertically arranged than it is horizontally, and as such the slums encompass the whole of the city, excepting of course Daskinor's tower. Built on top of the slums and underground passages where the poor and desperate live are the homes of the middle class, and to top it off, quite literally, are the noble homes. There also doubtless areas consisting of nothing but ruins, or even open patches of dirt where the towers have fallen and all the building material picked clean by the citizenry.

As for Daskinor's paranoia, also of the top of my head, it seems to have something to do his powerful psionic abilities. At any rate, it is heavily implied that his subconcious is trying to kill him. Whether this is the cause or result of his insanity is uncertain.

So, I'm imagining something like a treetop village, kinda like the ewoks.  Walkways that connect each section, most of them going between each tower's specific caste with a few ascending or descending as necessary, maybe a few larger promenades collected between a few.

i have came across VERY limited information on this city, and would love to hear more too. also, what exactly is the party planning to do there? i've been thinking of taking my party there but have no hooks yet, or any events, but it is a long ways away, so id love to hear about your adventures! also, i dont have DDI so.......
first thing i would like to know is whats the deal with Daskinors paranoia? i have my theory's but wanna hear yours first iFrame RemovediFrame Removed

The party is looking for an artifact to help them fight the Dragon of Tyr, something Daskinor is very likely to have as he was crazy and hoarding power and artifacts.  It's closing in on a long hunt they've been on after being commanded by Hamanu to find out why a large group of sacrifices suddenly went missing.

I was kinda (lol crazy DM) happy about finding a way to get my party to take a quest, by having a Sorceror king command them to do it.  The alternative to accepting his command was something they never considered.  But, I've enjoyed forcing the quest on them, and watching them carry it out in their own fashion.
sounds fun. i have a running theme of giving my party situations where they have two choices, both of which suck. i think im going to use daskinor as a method of delivering that. im thinking he's really not insane, and the whole thing is a farce to keep outsiders from discovering he's harboring an avangion. so the party will have to decide between keeping the avangion a secret and letting the citizens suffer under the effects of daskinors insanity OR free the people from there effective prison, and risk the dragon learning of an avangion.

also, not to thread jack, but what are you planning to have happen after your party kills the dragon, concerning the release of rajaat?iFrame RemovediFrame Removed
I gave Daskinor a split personality.  He was not only the paranoid SK ruler of the city, but he was also the leader of the veiled alliance cell in the city, in his alternate form, he only cast spells as a preserver, however he was not aware of the avangion process. 
Endorek, that is great! Love it!
Thanks!  

He had one eye that was dramatically bigger than the other and never blinked, it was all red and bloodshot.  Not just bugged out, but more than 2x the size it should be.  If you search for the phrase "The Weird" DC Comics you'll find a picture of what I made him look like.  When he was in his SK mindset, his eyes were uncovered.  When he was in his veiled alliance alter ego, that eye remained closed. 

He took a personal interest in torturing the PC's after discovering some mental barriers in place that he couldn't break through (they were on a mission from Korgunard to Oronis and couldn't let some information they knew fall into the wrong hands), then he showed up in the dead of night and rescued them from his own dungeon.