[CONTEST]Red Rover

574 posts / 0 new
Last post

(image from here.)

welcome to Razorborne's new contest, based on probably the best childhood game ever made! the rules, like the game it's based on, will be fairly simple. we will start with two teams of 7. (NOTE: teams are for scorekeeping. you are still competing as an individual. I say this because a lot of people don't like team-based contests and I don't want to scare them away) each round, each player on each team calls a player  from the other. if the caller scores higher than the callee, the callee switches teams. that's it! seriously that's all the rules. game ends when all 14 players are on a single team, and the winners will be the people who were on that team the longest without switching. one strategic note that is very important and that I want to make sure everyone knows is that there is no punishment for calling someone and failing. if you do so, they will not switch, but nothing bad will happen to you, so feel free to go up against the people currently winning even if you think they'll probably beat you.

I am also looking for judges! I intend to have two other judges, and will be accepting applications VIA PM. ideally I'm looking for one judge who's been around the block a few times and one who's an active member of the community looking to get their beak wet on judging, but depending on the applications I get that specific dynamic may or may not be possible.

a couple notes for judges

1. if you want to apply to be a judge, you can still apply to be a player too in case I don't pick you.

2. I am looking for a certain level of promptness. I'm likely going to try to run this on a weekly schedule, with 4 days of submissions and 3 days of grading. if you don't believe you can turn around 14 grades in 3 days once a week, then I'd like to request that you just apply as a player. if for some reason something specific comes up and you have to take longer one time, that's fine, but if you foresee yourself consistantly being unable to meet that timeline I'd rather go with someone else. please inform me in your PM that you read this point.

3. there will be no specific rubric. you can use whatever you want as long as I can determine a clear winner in each heads-up match. if you want you can just go through the challenges and pick a winner for each, or you can use any scoring system you want. players' total grades will be based on how many judges prefered them.

[/sblock]

but also, as always, this contest awards razorpoints! specifically, I will be using my new standard contest metric of 8 points to the winner, 5 to the second place, and 2 to the third place. where will that put you in the rankings? that depends on how many you have currently! but here's the current list of people with points, so you can place yourself:

razorpoints hall of fame

1. Steinhauser, 13 points, Yawning MonarchYPTC Champion.

2. Silly_Dragons, 6 points, Dawnglow Halo.

3. Tekkahedron, 6 points, Aetherplax GoliathSpectral Cowl.

4. Silasw, 6 points, Captain's Warhorse.

5. 3-7-15-1-292, 5 points, Deathly Stench.

6. Fallingman, 5 points, Lightvessel.

7. Dudibus, 4 points, Hex of Rancor.

8. Lobster667, 4 points, Ancient Duty.

9. MagicPablo, 4 points, Snow-Blind Maniac.

10. theatog, 3 points, YPTC runner-up.

11. Cisnero, 3 points, Plea Bargain.

12. EyeballFrog, 2 points, Cloak of Vines.

13. vlord, 2 points, Eventide Monk.

14. Kavu_Overlord, 2 points, Twinbound Guardian.

15. ChaosLight, 1 point, Gift of the Kami.

16. Turnip_song, 1 point, Trainee Aviator.

17. Pietro_Aronica, 1 point, Ogre Tactician.

a note on tiebreakers that no one has to read
after the most recent DFMM, I revamped my tiebreaker system here. previously, I was giving the top slot to whoever had had that many points the longest, which further punishes people competing in later contests. since I'd like to encourage participation, I switched it up so that the winner is whoever scored any points most recently. if two people scored points in the same event, whoever scored higher in that event gets the breaker.

[/sblock][/sblock]
so with that out of the way, all that remains is auditions! except I figured I'd try something a bit different. (different for me, anyway.) since Red Rover itself is a game that's mostly about whoever happens to be around, I'm doing random entries. I'll leave this entry open for 48 hours, then randomly select 10 players who said "in" to be in. there will also be four razorpoints slots, given to the four highest pointholders who say "in" in that timeframe, bringing us to 14 players, or two teams of 7! this also has the added advantage of not making myself and my judges rank a million players but shhhhh...

UPDATE: Players!

RED TEAM!

• Shazzeh-4 turns

• Silasw-4 turns

• Silly-4 turns

• SimonGlume-3 turns

• Imi-3 turns

• Fenix-3 turns

• Steinhauser-2 turns

• Atog-2 turns

• AzureShade-2 turn

• Dr. D-2 turns

• Morgothra-1 turns

• Mown-1 turns

• Parad-0 turns

[/sblock]

BLUE TEAM!

• Dudibus-0 turns

[/sblock]

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

This seems interesting.  Applying as a contestant.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I need to procastinate from studying  Contestant.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I would like to apply as a contestant. 
In.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Judge and contestant, whichever you want me for.
I haven't read this at all but I'm signing up to be a judge/constestant.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
I'm sucking at judging atm so contestant for me raz.
contestant for me

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Contest Ant.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Poke da pohlis.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Is there a "Spectator" slot open?

~SE++ 

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

I'm sure we both know how my grading schedule is, so contestant.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Contesto
Is there a "Spectator" slot open?

~SE++ 

12 more if playing lands that enter play tapped, and mana ramp
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

In
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
In.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

It would be interesting to judge, but I doubt I have the time/experience to judge one of razors contests, so in as contestant.
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
I'm up for this as a contestant.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

In as contestant. I'm also keen to at least apply to judge. I mention it here, not because I'm supposed to (should be PM'd) but because everyone else is.
Applying for Judge 

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Gotta protect my razorpoint lead so IN
Will play
For fun

A quick question:
You say each team chooses to challenge someone, but then you use terms like caller and callee.

I understand the callee bit.
But is there "one" official caller for each team, or are you comparing the callee's score against the entire team (or team average or something like that.)
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Im in if theres still room, as a contestant, unless you need a judge and then I'll help out in that respect instead.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
A quick question:
You say each team chooses to challenge someone, but then you use terms like caller and callee.

But is there "one" official caller for each team, or are you comparing the callee's score against the entire team (or team average or something like that.)

there seems to be some misunderstanding on this point. (Rush asked me about it as well) each round, each player calls a player from the opposing team. this is to a) ensure that all players are engaged and active every round, and b) ensure that the game tends towards an end.

A quick question:

there seems to be some misunderstanding on this point. (Rush asked me about it as well) each round, each player calls a player from the opposing team. this is to a) ensure that all players are engaged and active every round, and b) ensure that the game tends towards an end.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
In.
Just to clarify, everyone on every team gets to call someone else. So that means 14 challenges per round, for 28 cards to judge, with each player making anywhere from 1-14 cards? Or does each player make one card, and that card is pitted against 1-14 other cards?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I'd assume that it's one card against all challengers.  That way a team could try to get extra chances at stealing someone from the opposing team by having multiply members of that team call him/her out. 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

contestant
Just to clarify, everyone on every team gets to call someone else. So that means 14 challenges per round, for 28 cards to judge, with each player making anywhere from 1-14 cards? Or does each player make one card, and that card is pitted against 1-14 other cards?

the latter. 

If my PM doesn't make the cut, I'd like to play.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I'll give it a shot.
bump!

Applying as a contestant and judge.
All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring. -Chuck Palahniuk My Card as designed by febbstalicious42
Show
Four-Finger Discount :2mana: Instant Gain control of target creature. You lose life equal to its toughness. Almost as good as the five-finger discount.
phyrexianloyalty.png
On second though, I have like a million projects to finish this week, so i'm not going to have time for this.
On second though, I have like a million projects to finish this week, so i'm not going to have time for this.

rounds will be fairly long, to accomodate my own schedule. I'm looking at doing a round a week. if you still want to withdraw that's fine but didn't want anyone to think this was gonna be like five cards a day or something. I've run a preview week contest, I know how rough fast turnarounds are.

like two hours left. also considering the volume of interest I'm gonna up the number of contestants total to 16. hopefully the two extra grades aren't gonna scare off any of my judge applicants.

and entry period over!

first I would like to announce our two judges. I got way more applicants than I expected and it was an obnoxiously tough decision, but in the end I settled on Tyranno and Glasir! their opinions are law! do not question them.

and now we have the razorpoint slots. we actually had all four of the top point-holders apply, but then Tek withdrew, so that means those slots now go to Stein, Silly, Silasw, and Dudibus! congratulations, you guys! be sure to win so I don't look stupid for giving you points in the first place. if you weren't one of those four, don't read the previous sentence, it involves scheming against you.

but you can read this part! this is where I announce the open-entry winners! with 22 people competing for 12 slots, you had a 55% chance of getting picked. (roughly! no one argue with me about the exact number.) so the average applicant got in! hooray! but as you know not everyone is the average applicant, so let's find out who actually got in!

who actually got in
Simon
Dr. D
AzureShade
atog
Mown
Morgothra
Kuro
Parad
Fenix
Cyranium
Shazzeh
Imi

if you're on that list, hooray! if you're not, sorry... I tried, I did, but I couldn't make random.org random you in. unless you're febb. I actively tried to make it not put you in. anyway, I'm just gonna split up the razorpoints entrants and use the already randomized list to devise teams! let's hope these are balanced!

RED TEAM!

• Steinhauser

• Dudibus

• SimonGlume

• Dr. D

• AzureShade

• Atog

• Mown

• Morgothra

[/sblock]

BLUE TEAM!

• Silly

• Silasw

• KuroAgeha

• Parad

• Fenix

• Cyranium

• Shazzeh

• Imi

[/sblock]

get to know your teammates, I will post the first round in a couple hours!

sorry, I was unclear. I'm giving the judge position to Tyranno5. he seems legit.

Sign In to post comments