Dwarf "Resilience of Stone" when reduced below zero HP?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
When you use your second wind to interrupt damage that takes you below zero, does the healing received occur before or the damage reduces you below zero?
Interrupts occur before the action that triggers them, so first you heal, then you get smacked.

Assuming you have some way of using your Second Wind as an interrupt, of course.
As per per title "resilience of stone" feat allows second wind as an immediate interrupt.

"Benefit: You can use your second wind as an immediate interrupt when you are damaged by an attack. "

Note that it intterupts the damage not the atack itself which is why i am unclear.
it would happen before damage reduces you to 0 or below.  Interrupts go off before the trigger that makes them go, like an instant in MTG.  They can even cancel their own triggers.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

it would happen before damage reduces you to 0 or below.  Interrupts go off before the trigger that makes them go, like an instant in MTG.  They can even cancel their own triggers.

So do you go to:

• surge value (ie spend second wind from 0 hit points after taking the damage) 

• original HP + surge value - damage

In other words will it always bring you back up from below zero, and allow you to spend the HP from 0?

So do you go to:

• surge value (ie spend second wind from 0 hit points after taking the damage) 

• original HP + surge value - damage

In other words will it always bring you back up from below zero, and allow you to spend the HP from 0?

It goes off first.

Lets say you are a dwarf with 40 hit points.  You currently have 18 hit points.  A goblin hits you for 20 hit points.  You respond by using your second wind.

Total before attack: 18/40
You interrupt the damage and second wind: You now have 28/40 hit points.
You take 20 damage from the goblin: You now have 8/40 hit points.

You never went to 0. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
as a follow up, could the +2 to defenses potentially negate the attack then?
No, because the interrupt is to being damaged, not to being hit.  You rewind before the trigger, but you don't rewind any further than immediately before the trigger.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
that's right if the trigger to doing second wind would be to getting hit, then it could invalidate the attack since your defenses are now higher thanks to the +2 to all defenses.  Unfortunately in this case, the trigger is to taking damage which means the hit has already resolved and the +2 to defenses is only useful against further attacks you might suffer.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

that is how it appeared but I wanted to double check, thanks
Sign In to post comments