Can you choose NOT to make a saving throw?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm DMing a campaign, and the party has a Psion and a dwarf Warden.  The Psion has been using his lvl 1 daily, Living Missile on the Warden (because it targets creatures) and the Warden has been choosing not to make saves against its slowing or imobilizing effects.  This effectivly gives the Warden a shift speed of 10 on the Psion's turn, the Warden's HP is high enough that taking half damage from being used as a missle isn't a big deal, and since he's a dwarf he can save against being knocked prone.  

Is this legal?   

Nope. You still make saving throws.

unfortunately for a funny strategy, you have to make saving throws against every effect on your PC at the end of your turn in the order of your choice.  The only time this would not be true is if something specifically said you did not.  For example, the cleric has a power that states that you can forgo saving at the end of your turn against ongoing damage it gives you in order to do something else.

Of course, you're the DM and if you want to forgo the save for the sake of your players doing something cool well that's your decision.  But by the rules, the warden would have to try and save.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

^That's a good point, I'd forgotten that Cleric power.  I don't want to piss off the party (the Psion and Warden are really proud of that tactic) but it completely prevents anything from ever getting away from the defender, which breaks solo fights unless the monsters are smart enough to realize what the Psion is doing and mob him specifically until he's knocked out, which isn't terribly often.  I'll have to break it to them gently.  :p  
Thanks for the help.   
^That's a good point, I'd forgotten that Cleric power.  I don't want to piss off the party (the Psion and Warden are really proud of that tactic) but it completely prevents anything from ever getting away from the defender, which breaks solo fights unless the monsters are smart enough to realize what the Psion is doing and mob him specifically until he's knocked out, which isn't terribly often.  I'll have to break it to them gently.  :p  
Thanks for the help.   

Well what I would do would be to congratulate them for finding an awesome combo that is totally legit.  However you need to make sure everything is working properly and unfortunately saves must be made at the end of your turn even if you would prefer not to.  In any case, the combo can still work and if the Psion invests into saving throw penalties to help the Warden fail his saves it could still work like before.  Anyway the trick is to keep it fair and fun for everyone.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

There's also, I believe, a Paladin feat that allows you to forego saving yourself in order to grant an ally a save, which could be worth looking into.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
There are also monster tactics that can counter this PC tactic from time to time (but not all the time, let them have their fun)

1) Have a monster that can apply the Restrained condition.
2) Rooms with floor traps or hindering terrain that the psion might accidentally slide the Warden into
3) Have more than one solo/elite fight in a day so if they use the tactic on the first, they don't have it on the second.
4) Monsters with triggered actions that trigger when an enemy is moved near them.
5) Monsters that can fly or teleport at will. The teleport might work best if the room is setup with various platforms that the warden cannot be slid onto as they must be climbed.
Sign In to post comments