[DGM-ICD] Varolz, the Scar-Striped

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure how I feel about this. Feel like it could be playable. 
Dude, I think I may run this over Dimir House Guard in my Mimeoplasm EDH deck as a sac outlet... that lets my other creatures be big bombs too.

Also, finally a card that gives other creatures scavenge.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Makes a lot more sense then the fake edition yet they could of done something cool to trigger the scavenge aside of being in the graveyard. Ruric and Melek are unique because they do a different approach but subtley represents the mechanics these lastest editions are just kinda short sighted. The mechanic is to be expected just I don't know seems off although he does run quite well with his boss.
meh

<----- Loser.

heh. jund now runs 4 vexing devil... 
also desecration demon is better now
heh. jund now runs 4 vexing devil... 

disgusting

Definitely some Johnny potential here, but its really solid for 3 mana so Spikes may snap it up as well.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
This seems really good. Not just in standard either.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
My mind gravitated towards Phyrexian Dreadnought when I saw him.  Will make a fun card in my Jarad deck.
Found my Death's Shadows. Big fan of this card, since I like putting +1/+1 counters on stuff.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

would his ability make slitherhead's scavenge go up to 1 or would it just gain both? i would think it would just tack on an optional cost of 1 in addition to the 0 cost.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
I like this. Standard potential, especially with death triggers still from innistrad.

And EDH has some potential (obvious given the article it was spoiled in). Death's Shadow among other will be fun. While golgari isn't my usual deck for the format I have a couple friends who will love this guy there.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
A very nice card. Fits into many doubling season builds. Might be set back a bit though because some of the creatures you should be running in a doubling season deck rely more on +1/+1 counters when they enter the battlefield over any sort of inherent power or toughness. Still worth a look in several of my current EDH decks.

SWDS: 4/5 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Found my Death's Shadows. Big fan of this card, since I like putting +1/+1 counters on stuff.

I could see some Modern shenanigans with this in a Junk shell. Lingering Souls for regenerate fodder and evasive scavenge targets; Death's Shadow et al for explosive swings. The biggest downside it the scavenge mechanic itself, which can be thwarted easily in a format like Modern.
Wow! Don't know what else to say... this is definitely the kind of card I want when I think "guild champion."

Solid. 
I know I will be playing it in my Junk EDH deck. It even has a very realistic chance of seeing standard play. I love me some Golgari.
I love it.  Idk about competitive constructed stuff, but he'll be wonderful in Limited, and a casual standard Golgari deck loves him too.  I want to play him.  This and Vorel are probably my favorite spoils so far.  
Basicly, it can turn some overcosted scavenge cost into manageable cost?
I like it. 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
would his ability make slitherhead's scavenge go up to 1 or would it just gain both? i would think it would just tack on an optional cost of 1 in addition to the 0 cost.

Ah, then just use Memnite?

Basicly, it can turn some overcosted scavenge cost into manageable cost?
I like it. 

No it does so much more than that.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Friends with :brm: Champion

This guy is insane. Probably the most Standard playable Champion so far.
At first I got irritated because for as beefy as this guy is, he doesn't look like a 2/2. I took some time to cool off and I guess the artwork makes sense when you take into account scavenge, and let's face it, he's definitely gonna want to start digging in immediately.
I like him suprisingly way more than the fake one. Well done.
Really like this dude. Can't wait to run him in my Corpsejack Menace deck with Death's Shadow. Throw in some Devoted Druids and you can generate 15 mana on turn 3.
Cool guild, cool champion. I like this dude a lot.

I also love how Tragic Slip keeps getting better. Definitely my favourite removal in standard right now.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Great synergy with every other guild than... wow. Golgari.

That said, WHAT a synergy! 
That's...pretty interesting.  The combos seem fun.  At the same time I have trouble telling if it's good enough for standard.  Sac a creature regenerate is pretty strong in general...but it's not that special when the body you're saving is only 2/2.  I guess that's what the scavenge is for....

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

card draw on a ceature
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

And Misthollow Griffin got 25% better.

+ 24 Lands
Just to showcase some cards that would work with him. Also possible the new dredging Skeleton.
Nova chaser and the guy who turns counters into fogs
Agreed. I thought Splinterfright since he can add X counters equal to the number of creatures in your grave. I'm not sold on going Jund just yet I think we already have Deadbridge Goliath and Boneyard Wurm.
Agreed. I thought Splinterfright since he can add X counters equal to the number of creatures in your grave. I'm not sold on going Jund just yet I think we already have Deadbridge Goliath and Boneyard Wurm.

Nope, not gonna work.

208.2. Rather than a fixed number, some creature cards have power and/or toughness that includes a
star (*).
208.2a The card may have a characteristic-defining ability that sets its power and/or toughness
according to some stated condition. (See rule 604.3.) Such an ability is worded “[This
creature’s] [power or toughness] is equal to . . .” or “[This creature’s] power and toughness are
each equal to . . .” This ability functions everywhere, even outside the game. If the ability needs
to use a number that can’t be determined, including inside a calculation, use 0 instead of that
number.

The number CAN be determined.

And now "we" (I changed sides from Orzhov yesterday) got Rot-Farm Skeleton! 
The number CAN be determined.

And now "we" (I changed sides from Orzhov yesterday) got Rot-Farm Skeleton! 

Another rejected one! Welcome to the Swarm

With Grisly Salvage and Mulch the Skeleton just fits in nicely, heck it even works good with Varolz thanks to 4 power!
The dice roll said I had to go Simic. But I guess I can do golgari on some of my other plays. I'm going to go to so many prereleases @_@
This card really makes me wish I owned a playset of both Death's Shadow and Phyrexian Dreadnought.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
And now "we" (I changed sides from Orzhov yesterday)

I think you're taking this stuff a little too seriously.