Hybrid Cavalier Cleric

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

I am working on a cavalier which I really want to play in order to have the sweet summoned steeds.  However, my party is more in need of a cleric.  I was able to make a full cavalier that was ok at healing but not really the best as the sole healer.  So I tried my hand at a hybrid cavalier cleric.  This seems pretty decent and had workable healing.  But it looks like I lost the summoned steed ability.

Is there any way to get the summoned steed ability other than being a full cavalier?  Can I get it as a hybrid?  

Thanks 
Play a class, get ritual casting and the phantom steed ritual (there are some other rituals that can call your 'real' steed too though I forget those).

Play a class, get the theme that lets you have a fey pet (fey beast tamer?) and get the feat that lets you ride your pet.

Play a class, and buy a horse.
However, my party is more in need of a cleric. 

If your party is more in need of a Cleric than a Cavalier, it's most likely more in need of a different Leader than a Cleric.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

If your party is more in need of a Cleric than a Cavalier, it's most likely more in need of a different Leader than a Cleric.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I meant that the cavalier does not have enough raw healing power and the cleric does.  Most other leaders would as well I suppose.  Could you clarify what you mean?  
Play a class, get ritual casting and the phantom steed ritual (there are some other rituals that can call your 'real' steed too though I forget those).

Play a class, get the theme that lets you have a fey pet (fey beast tamer?) and get the feat that lets you ride your pet.

Play a class, and buy a horse.

Good suggestions, but none of them seem anywhere near as good as the cavalier's steeds.  Looks like there is no way though.
They stealth-errata'd away the ability of hybrid **** and non-**** Paladins to take the mount because they realized it was the sole feature of the subclass that was in any way interesting. Ask your DM to let you have it as U6 instead, which is when you could take it before the stealth-errata.

Thanks for the answer.  I'll check with the DM.  Also, out of curiosity, what letters did you type that got censored?  I can't think of any portion of cavalier that would need to be censored.  Let's see

cava

lier

vali

EDIT: Nope, all of those worked. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I meant that the cavalier does not have enough raw healing power and the cleric does.  Most other leaders would as well I suppose.  Could you clarify what you mean?  

Healing isn't what Leaders *do*. It's part of it, but it's ultimately just an ability to be used to give the PC's an effective extra Surge each (due to the bonus dice/healing items) and as an undo function for combat damage. Clerics are far from being the best Buffing, Attack Granting, Movement Enabling, Encounter Healing Leaders; Warlords and Bards are so far above Cleric that even horrid Hybrids like Bard|Executioner are going to clearly beat a Cleric. If the problem is "we need more Leader" the best answer just isn't "Cleric" much less "****|Cleric".

The Censorship is because of our correct opinion on Cavaliers. Don't play one, ever, just get your DM to give you a non-terrible mount.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

Healing isn't what Leaders *do*. It's part of it, but it's ultimately just an ability to be used to give the PC's an effective extra Surge each (due to the bonus dice/healing items) and as an undo function for combat damage. Clerics are far from being the best Buffing, Attack Granting, Movement Enabling, Encounter Healing Leaders; Warlords and Bards are so far above Cleric that even horrid Hybrids like Bard|Executioner are going to clearly beat a Cleric. If the problem is "we need more Leader" the best answer just isn't "Cleric" much less "****|Cleric".

The Censorship is because of our correct opinion on Cavaliers. Don't play one, ever, just get your DM to give you a non-terrible mount.

Lol.  I see.  Well, let me rephrase then.  My party needs a Leader healer which it has 0 of right now.  Regardless of the quality of the cavalier, I want to play it because I like what I see with the summoned steed stuff.  It's by no means an optimized group so I'm not too worried.  Since I want to stick with Cavalier AND somehow be a healer to the group, any suggestions on that front?  (Please don't suggest "Don't play a cavalier")

What about Cavalier with the knight hospitaler theme and taking some Heal skill utilities to grant some encounter healing?  I'll go virtue of Sacrifice to get some temp HP granters and the option to hand out my own second wind.  Any other ideas?  We are currently at level 5 but future planning is fine.  Any good healing paragon paths I can toss on there?

Thanks! 
Do you know about Lay on Hands? It allows a regular paladin to run circles around cavaliers in terms of healing.

I know the mount seems awesome, but its just not that much better than anything else. Add the facts that a mount does not increase your aura size, gets in the way of ally targeting, and just overall makes you less maneuverable as a large creature, and being mounted in play turns out to be a lot less fun than it looks on paper. In my experience anyway.
you want to be cavalier to have the summon steed
you need to be a healer
if you are a healer you don't get the cavalier summon steed

like everyone is saying, it doesn't add up, best to just cut off the cavalier part that's dragging you down and find another avenue toward mount summons, because there is no way to fully get what you want, cavalier doesn't heal, yet you want to be a healer and a cavalier, if that is not possible, move on rather than rejecting suggestions
Pixie/Gnome/Kobold Bard (Cunning for the first two, Valor for the last one) with Fey Beast Tamer.  You're a solid leader and you get something cool to ride around on.  Limited racial support, but can't have everything.
The use of the world healer here makes me want to punch a baby.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
The use of the world healer here makes me want to punch a baby.

I feel the same way, but the important part is the cavalier killing part and I can wince on the healery bits just to get that point across
Sometimes I wonder why I bother asking you guys.  The first few responses were helpful but now... Lol.

Alright guys (and gals), thanks for the suggestions.  My biggest question has been answered.  There's no way to get the steeds other than full cavalier.  I'll work on giving the cavalier some additional healing options.

Happy gaming to you! 
It's like beating my head on a wall.

Thats fine, just don't expect the Cavalier to be able to heal you afterwards...
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
You guys missed a solid 3rd option, which is probably the best: Invite a friend to the game to play a warlord.
Adding some healing to a full cavalier is tough, but you can do it with theme, skill power and multiclassing.  I cannot think of any suggestions for a paragon path that would add much healing for a cavalier.

Themes
Guardian:  Allows you to swap places with an ally for an attack; just as good as healing if your defenses are higher and that forces the attack to miss
Knight Hospitalier:  Heals an ally Wis or Cha modifier; not great, but it is healing

Mutliclass:
Taking any of the leader multiclassing feats gives you a daily heal.  At 8th level you can take the feat Acolyte Power and swap your level 6 utility for a healing utility in the class you took.  Typical choices are  listed below (class, feat, power):
Warlord, Student of Battle, Rousing Words (best option)
Bard, Bardic Dilettante,  Revitalizing Incantation (ranged power)
Cleric, Initiate of the Faith, Bastion of Health (ranged power)

Skill Power
If you take the feat Skill Power it will give you another utility; make sure you train the healing skill.  The best power is a utility 2 called Iron Resurgence.

Overall, Rousing Words and Iron Resurgence take up a lot of surges.  If you are the only leader in the whole party, it shouldn't matter.  These modifications will take your theme and three feats and give you one daily heal and three encounter abilities (two double surge heals and one position swap).  This is a pretty big penalty to pay, but it can be done.
If you're going to MC Warlord, you do it with Resourceful Leader and/or Bravura Leader, even if your goal is to gain healing.

Depending on level, and how much retraining you can do, a better heroic option is Shaman: Spirit Talker - Mending Spirit, which gives you: Nature Skill, a Spirit Companion, A Shaman at-will relating to your Spirit choice 1/enc (I suggest Claws of the Eagle for some Leader Enabling), Speak with Spirits as Daily, Totem Use (not amazing, but Pure Spirit is Ed6 surgeless healing 1/day), and the Healing Spirit Power 1/enc.

MC Shaman is rather underrated because the stated RAI (and builder) want you to take the Spirit OA power, but the wording is "Choose a Companion Spirit option. You gain the at-will shaman power associated that option, such as spirit’s shield or spirit’s fang, as an encounter power." And powers like Claws of the Eagle and Spirit Infusion are associated with a Spirit Option. Well, it's also underrated because in terms of ability to gain healing, MC Cleric lets you swap for Cloak of Courage at level 16 and gives Holy Symbol access, which is crazy good, and MC Warlord lets you swap for Death from Two Sides/Hail of Steel.
Sign In to post comments