Optimized Ranger/Seeker

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
My ranger/seeker is amazing. I am pretty sure that so long as he has enough space to move in he can't lose a 1v1 fight against monsters or characters. He does have a slight backup plan for close quarters. I am sure someone has posted a similar build already but here is mine none of the less. Feel free to give pointers on what could make him even more overpowered, Damage preferably, his control is great enough.

Hawkeye, level 22
Razorclaw Shifter, Ranger/Seeker, Pack Outcast theme
Athlete occupation
Bloodbond Seeker's option
Ranger fortitude 
Seeker reflex 
Praragon Path Bloodfury Hunter
Epic Destiny Destined Scion (Dex, Wis bonuses)

Ability Scores:
Str 12 Con 15 Dex 26 Int 12 Wis 26 Cha 11

AC 37 Fort 32 Ref 40 Will 33

Trained Skills:
Acrobatics +26 Athletics +21 Perception +27 Stealth +30

Powers:
At Wills- Twin Strike, Grappling Spirits
Level 1 Encounter- Mischief Spirits (replaced)
Level 1 Daily- Sure Shot
Level 2 Utility- Safe Passage
Level 3 Encounter- Cut and Run (replaced)
Level 5 Daily- Protecting Spirits (replaced)
Level 6 Utility- Swirling Arrows
Level 7 Encounter- Feyjump Shot
Level 9 Daily- Murderous Aim (replaced)
Level 10 Utility- Soul of the Wolf
Level 13 Encounter- Bloodlust Strike
Level 15 Daily- Wave of Sleep
Level 16 Utility- Howling Winds
Level 17 Encounter- Suppressing Shots
Level 19 Daily- Claim the Prize
Level 22 Utility- Master of the Hunt

Feats:
1) Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
2) Bow Expertise
4) Lethal Hunter
6) Hobbling Strike
8) Vicious Advantage
10) Weapon Focus (Bow)
11) World Serpent's Grasp
12) Distant Shot
14 Grounding Shot
16) Great Fortitude
18) Superior Reflexes 
20) Sly Hunter
21) Bow Mastery
22) Correcting Aim

Items:
Head- Eyes of the Eagle
Neck- Elven Cloak
Arms- Bracers of Archery
Hands- Sure Shot Gloves
Ring- Ring of Fury x2
Weapon- Tansposing greatbow
Waist- Potion Bandolier
Armor- Elven Battle Armor
Feet- Fleetrunner Boots
Tattoo- Bloodied Chains

Extras:
Elven Chain Shirt
Stone of Wind
Lesser Elixir of Speed

=======End=======
*the calm before the storm*
Take the Seeker half out?
Take the Seeker half out?

I would, but the DM wants us all to be multiclass. Which isn't too bad since having Grappling Spirits as my basic attack works well with the Rings of Fury. 
Needs superior will instead of great fortitude.

I don't think much of correcting aim either. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Ranger|Seeker can be a lot of fun.

I will openly admit to largely skimming CB summaries because I can't be bothered to dissect them if you're not going to comment on your choices, but I did notice two glaring problems.

1) You mentioned PVP. 4e is probably the worst system ever designed for such a thing. You've correctly identified that an archer is pretty unbeatable in such situations, but don't do it. Just don't.

2) Bloodlust Strike is a terrible waste of a standard action. Twin Strike is better in every possible regard. 
No Superior Will.  Fix that.

For a coprimary Wisdom, you really want Invigorating Stride AND Disruptive Shot (might as well keep it forever).  A good out of turn attack to add some extra damage AND you help protect an ally.

Correcting Aim should be dropped, as you shouldn't really have problems missing at this point.  Never build to assume you'll miss.

Distant Shot is completely unnecessary for a greatbow.

Hybrid Talent for Prime Shot, so you can grab Called Shot at least.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Thanks for the input thus far everyone, I will definitely look into that. 
What's the PP?

You're also losing a lot (15ish) of damage by not using an Damage Type conversion Weapon (Frost, Radiant, etc)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I could beat this in one on one combat.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
It would kite you, zelink. :P Not that one on one kiting is particularly relevant to actual encounters.

Anyways, OP, check out the links in my sig for some ideas on how to improve your build. 
Like slow+prone? Twin Strike+Hobbling Strike+WSG?
What's the PP?

You're also losing a lot (15ish) of damage by not using an Damage Type conversion Weapon (Frost, Radiant, etc)

Bloodfury Hunter, my bad.
It would kite you, zelink. :P Not that one on one kiting is particularly relevant to actual encounters.

Anyways, OP, check out the links in my sig for some ideas on how to improve your build. 

Thanks, very handy!

What is WSG?

World Serpent's Grasp.  A feat from the Essentials line, which amounts to basically 'when you hit a slowed or immobiliesed target, you can knock them prone.'

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Only one post, and already an accomplished necromancer! Impressive.

Thanks. Would SIlvery Glow stack with Weapon Focus damage as they are both feat bonuses or is one cold and the otehr untyped?

Serfa wrote:

Thanks. Would SIlvery Glow stack with Weapon Focus damage as they are both feat bonuses [the rest is irrelevant]?

You answered your own question: no.

Thanks for the quick responses. Now if you could build me an optimised 20th lvl ranger/seeker that would be great.

Serfa wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses. Now if you could build me an optimised 20th lvl ranger/seeker that would be great.

This is not the build my character for me forum.

Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

And even if it were, it wouldn't happen in neco'd threats.

Serfa wrote:

Ahahahahahaha, well done. 

I built you one, you can pick it up from under the lid of the trashcan next to the t-rex in the Natural History Museum.

"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

The joke is that in this very thread I linked to a build thread for an optimized ranger|seeker that covers L20

LOL relax everyone. I was JOKING. I am using WEContacts build which is great.

You should really use the version he promised to build with Archery Mastery, it would be better.

WHere can I find that build?

It's not made yet. For which date do you need the character? I could build as an upgraded version of WEContact's dirty harry build if he doesn't have the time.

I am needing to upgrade my ranger/seeker to level 20 by Monday. I want him to be a bit more damage focused so was thinking of going the cold damage path. cheers

Alright check back this thread around Sunday. Frostcheese can be added but keep in mind that this is a build that focuses a lot on controlling, not on striking, so it won't benefit much from it.

Thanks heaps. Really appreciate it. Yes controlling is great but would like ot back it up with some damage as the other striker is a little lame in our party.

The best way to increase the Ranger|Seeker's damage is to play a Ranger. Also, after playtesting, I've concluded that Hobbling Strike+World Serpent's Grasp is better for Dirty Harry than Clever Shot.